Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4502 - Bert's Training Wheels

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4502 - Bert's Training Wheels
Tuesday September 16, 2014

Bert and Ernie go for a bike ride, but Bert falls and breaks one of his training wheels. Luis tries to fix the bike but realizes he’s missing a part for it. Ernie and Luis encourage Bert to try and ride without his training wheels, but Bert insists that he needs them. Will Bert have the courage to ride without the training wheels?

Subject: Self-Regulation
Brought to you by: I & 2
Word on the Street: Repair – To fix something.

If you've seen "Bert's Training Wheels" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Interesting that Bert and Ernie get a street scene so early in the season. Though I wouldn't expect Bert to be the type of person who'd need training wheels since he is supposed to represent an adult. Though they did the same storyline with Abby a few years back, but we'll see what happens.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Is Bert supposed to represent an adult? I honestly don't know anymore. We have two episodes this season: one where Bert needs training wheels, and another where Ernie keeps stealing Bert's smart phone. What? I don't understand.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Heads up - Ernie's not being performed by Steve in this episode.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Heads up - Ernie's not being performed by Steve in this episode.
I honestly think that's for the best. Ernie and Bert have gone numerous seasons at a time without appearing in a street scene because Steve is so busy with Disney. Well this season they are getting two street scenes. If replacing Steve was the way to go in order to get Ernie and Bert back on the Street, so be it.

cahuenga

Reaction score
I missed the episode! Which SS humans were present?? how did the new ernie sound?? I love Steve´s Ernie, but if this means we would see him more on the street Im OK...

SSLFan

Reaction score
Whoever's voicing Ernie is the same guy who's done his voice in the past 2 Sesame Street Live shows, Can't Stop Singing (2012) and Make A New Friend (2013). I believe his name is Billy Barkhurst.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Billy_Barkhurst

I will say, he does sound closer to Jim Henson in vocal pitch. I'll be sad if Steve is replaced, but if it means more Ernie then I'm good with the change.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Live Thoughts on the Street Story:

New bicycle shop is pretty cool. It looks like it's supposed to be Maria and Luis's new business. That's a cool change.

It's always good to see Luis.

This new guy's Ernie caught me off guard, even though I knew there was going to be a different performer. It was fine, but I know it will get better with time. I stand by what I said before, that if replacing Steve was the only way to get Ernie back in street stories, so be it.

The physical layout of Sesame Street makes a little more sense seeing the park next to the bicycle shop.

Eric Jacobson has mastered Bert by this point.

"Feeling the wind in my eyebrow."

The montage of Bert waiting was actually pretty funny.

The shot of Ernie after the montage against the green screened city backdrop was also good at making the layout of the street make sense, but it was a little distracting because it was obviously green screened. Especially with the CGI kids riding bikes.

This guy's Ernie sounds like John Tartaglia's.

I'm glad that they mentioned Bert's love of pigeons and paper clips.

Luis and Ernie's song was great. The new guy's Ernie sounded more confident while he was singing.

Big Bird, Chris, Cookie Monster, Leela and Oscar in the background of Bert riding without training wheels. That was good because it makes the street look populated.

This would have been a better premiere than the episode we got yesterday.

--

I like that they have clips between the street stories and the celebrity word of the day now. And Janelle Monae's song was terrific.

I don't understand why they break up Murray Has a Little Lamb throughout the show now. Like, what's the purpose?

Three celebrity inserts in one episode? Janelle, Kat and Taye? Save some for the rest of the season!

The updated Let's Go Driving was welcome, though.

Last edited:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4502: Bert's Training Wheels.
Sponsors: I, 2.

Word on the Street: Repair.

Street Story.
*Laughs good-naturedly at the Spanish from Luis in the intro.

Wow... Ernie's voice... It's reminiscent of John Tartaglea from PWMS, but, yeesh.

I like Bert's song about his training wheels. That's how he rolls, that's how Bert keeps it real. And here we thought Bert was the square of the duo. Heh, Ernie keeps doing a good job at tempting Bert to come down to the playground to see all the things he likes like trained pigeon performers at the circus or hula dancers with paperclip beaded necklaces. And cue the variant song about Bert rolling without the training wheels trying to ride the bicycle.

BTW: Did anybody notice ToughPigsJoe as one of the bike riders in the background?

Song: "The Power of Yet".
Nice cameo by the 2HM in the intro.

Muppets/Celebrity Word of the Day Explanation.
Abby's magic is getting better, she apparently knows about the Rule of Three. *Sabrina reference.

Murray Had a Little Lamb: Bike Riding School.
This makes sense given the street story. Also there was an Ovejita tease before the theme song this time.

Super Grover 2.0: Ice Block Party.

Muppets/Celebrity: Elmo and some guy imagine driving a car, setting us up for a new take on the song "Let's Go For A Ride", predictable.

Letter of the Day Dance: I.

Animation: A new Traction Jackson short? Nice little song about all the I-words the kids imagine.

Muppets: Murray learns about the parts of a bicycle before he starts riding.

Abby's Flying Fairy School: The Cinderella Challenge.

Number of the Day Dance: 2.

Song: "A Monster Ate My Red Two."
I'm not sure if what Elmo was singing about a baby was a different song altogether, I didn't really understand the lyrics all that well.

Muppets: The kids and Murray finally ride their bicycles.

Elmo the Musical: RepairMonster the Musical.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Honestly, I knew it wasn't Steve when I first heard it. I know Billy Barkhurst will get better after some time, but I will greatly miss Steve. I am kinda of curious why John Tartaglia didn't return; maybe something (Gobo) Fraggle related? :coy: Probably not. :frown: The show really has changed from when I last watched; it changed for the better though.