1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4502 - Bert's Training Wheels

Discussion in 'Season 45' started by Phillip, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Face palms... Frame rate and editing Software. DUH! I shoulda known.

Yeah. It's weird that it looks that way on television. Anyone with a higher quality television have that problem? Seems that when there's more CGI usage in the show, the flickeriness and grain make the problem worse. It give it such an off look, and it's completely unintentional.

2. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Honestly I was excited to see Ernie performed by Steve but I can understand hes being performed by someone else, and if that means more Bert and Ernie then hey im willing to try it

3. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I thought the voice sounded different. I didn't want to say anything because I know we were moving away from the issue on AGT a few years back. But now that it's out in the open, I wonder about that. Was it John Tartiagola or Artie Esposito or someone else entirely performing him? Do we know that?

I have mixed feelings about that. Like someone said, a case like this may give Ernie some more airtime if Steve's not available. But I'm hoping this isn't a permanent thing. I don't know.

4. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I've heard Billy's Ernie in the SSL shows, so I was already aware of his Ernie. I'm upset that Steve's not Ernie anymore, but if it means more Ernie on the show I'll live with it. The episode was pretty good. Ernie telling Bert about the pigeons and paper clips was nice. Power of Yet is super catchy. The Word of the Day was funny. The new MHALL was good. The Let's Go Driving cover was cool. I didn't see Big Kid Too when it originally aired. It was catchy. I love when Elmo harmonizes.

5. Drtooth

It's too early to say that Steve will never perform Ernie again, and any reason given is speculation and nothing more. Just remember, Frank still manages to pop up from time to time, while recasting his characters freed them up to appear more times than in previous seasons. Without his characters, it truly would be a show that had to focus on Elmo, Zoe, Telly and Baby Bear. It's a mixed blessing at best.

Duke Remington likes this.
  6. antsamthompson9

Agreed.

7. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Good thoughts, Tooth. I think he may mainly be an understudy like Matt Vogel is for Carroll Spinney or Eric is for Frank (well, I guess Eric is more than an understudy since he performs Frank's characters more often than not, but you know what I mean.) I felt a little better about this when I read Antsam's post about Billy Whatshisname performing :p in SSL productions, so it's good to know this isn't the first time. We'll just have to wait and see who performs him in future appearances.

8. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Cant wait to see it somehow.

9. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

Only got to see part of this episode a few minutes ago (since Tuesday's my busiest day of the week now). Looks like I was right in my prediction on the previous thread, and yeah, it definitely looks like Ernie's voice was dubbed after the fact. They probably intended for Steve to dub it later, and I guess he was too busy with all the Muppet appearances in the past year that they had Billy Barkhurst dub Ernie for this and I presume the dance video episode.

It's most likely an isolated thing like John Tartaglia performing Ernie in Play with Me Sesame for one season, so I don't think people should be jumping ahead and saying that Steve's been replaced. I'm sure he'll be back.

cahuenga likes this.
  10. antsamthompson9

Just to be sure, is tomorrow's episode a rerun of this? That's what my schedule says.

11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

My PBS is a day late with the new season, this episode aired today.

I don't have much to say, but...

1. It's nice to be able to see SST in the afternoon again.
    2. This Billy guy performing Ernie isn't really half bad... Ernie sounds a little more like Link Hogthrob at times, but other than that.
    3. Bert just doesn't strike me as the kind of character who would still be riding with training wheels.

And finally... I hate to say it, but I'm just boycotting SST altogether now. Call me a fuddy-duddy, but seriously, the use of CGI and chromakey is too much now. It's bad enough that they have to film inserts with the Muppets and guests in front of a green screen, but it's like it's taking over the entire show at this point, and it just cheapens the look of the show tremendously, and it's just plain laziness.

And I disagree with the "film look" of the show... it doesn't look like film at all - film has a much better look that this; this looks like it was shot with a digital camera.

12. JonnyBMuppetMan

I generally like when they use chromakey in doing the full-body puppetry, which is effective when it's done really well. But in this case, yeah I kind of agree with you. I personally thought the CGI park in this episode looked out of place, especially when transitioning to and from the actual set. Also, didn't Bert look a little too big when he was bicycling at the end?

13. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I certainly found it unnecessary. If SW wants go keep production costs down, they sure ain't doing a good job at it doing things like this.

And I agree; they didn't size down Bert at the end. Foolish editors.

14. Drtooth

"Film" as in there is no other wording I can use to describe the weird flickeriness and graininess of the picture quality caused by digital video editing software.

Here's something I just realized. Don't know why. When Ernie was in a clown costume, he had a yellow nose. While clowns traditionally have a red nose, well... so doesn't Ernie. I guess a color other than red was the only way to convey he's wearing a fake nose.

The second complaint and the first complaint he mentioned screams inconsistency. I don't see why they bothered to put that much artificial digital trickery (which only works in self contained bits like ETM and Crummy Pictures) only to be so lazy with Bert's cycle riding at the end. While the CGI backdrop may be debatable, there's no doubt a large, flat looking Bert sliding through Sesame Street was jarring and unrealistic. How can we have such a cheap effect this day and age? Especially since the ability to go back and check on the effects has never been simpler?

JonnyBMuppetMan likes this.
  15. JonnyBMuppetMan

That comment actually made me laugh. Sarcasm wins again :p

Still, I wasn't trying to say anything derogatory towards the people behind the scenes. I know computer effects are just another step in the process of presenting the characters as real beings, and I don't mind it that much. I just thought it looked off in this case.

16. Oscarfan

I'm not knocking them either, but:

[​IMG]

That does look like something they could've fixed easily. (Sorry for the blurriness)

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  17. SpinneyBigBird1

SpinneyBigBird1 Active Member

The transition to and from the CGI background to the real set was particularly distracting. If they wanted to add a backdrop to that part of the set (which I don't disagree with, because the layout of the street doesn't really resemble the layout of an actual street without something there) I don't understand why they couldn't use actual video of a real street on the green screen, or at least video of real, physical buildings of any kind. The fact that it's CGI just kills it. I honestly wouldn't mind them using the green screen if it wasn't CGI. It probably would be cheaper, too, seeing as they wouldn't have had to create the images themselves.

18. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

Where did that screenshot come from? I'd love to have some Season 45 episodes; I doubt iTunes version will be available ANYTIME soon. :(

muppetlover123 likes this.
  19. Oscarfan

My school has a TV streaming service (with a DVR), so I screenshotted it from there.

20. Drtooth

I don't mind the CGI backdrops for things like Cookie's Crumby Pictures or Super Grover 2.0. Those little fantasy segments of the show that keep to themselves. It just doesn't work for a street story. It made the whole thing look so artificial. Though on the other hand, it makes Sesame look like a big, roaring, busy street... something only seen in FTB. To say the least, I'm mixed, but whatever happened to that big subway in the background blocking the view of the outside?