Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4512 - Big Bird Loses His Nest

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Season 45 Episode 4512 - Big Bird Loses His Nest
Friday November 21, 2014

Big Bird loses his nest to Minnie Mynah and she won’t give it back because of the bird rule – finders keepers, losers weepers. Chris tries to help but after no success takes it to the Supreme Bird Court. The Court initially sides with Minnie but Big Bird helps them realize they too would feel sad and angry if they lost their nest.

Subject: Self-Regulation
Brought to you by: Q & 0
Word on the Street: Empty – When something doesn’t have anything in it.

If you've seen "Big Bird Loses His Nest" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Man... an unfair, pointless rule that hurts people made by a Bird Supreme Court. There's a Scallia joke in there somewhere.

But it's great to see Big Bird back in action in such a big street story. And to speak to the credit of those certain episodes, Minnie the Mynah was actually less abrasive and obnoxious than the number 15 and Penelope Penguin were... and Minnie was supposed to be an antagonist! Not only that, but Big Bird also managed to get snuck into the end of the Murray had a little Lamb bit. Today was the Bird's time to shine.

That bit about the empty nest and the birds leaving one by one was kinda cute. Liked the bit at the end where the robin left his phone behind.

Not really much else to comment on besides the pretty good Jonah Hill word of the day bit. Still have no clue who yesterday's guy was...oh... some guy on the Bravo Network I've never heard of.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
I'm always partial to a Big Bird-centered episode. I'm glad that the nest got a little love too, seeing as you maybe only see it once a season now.

The story was okay. I particularly liked the Supreme Bird Court. (who played the middle Supreme Bird Court justice? I know the first and third were David Rudman and Fran Brill, but for the life of me I cannot pick out the middle guy.) This was definitely an interesting way to get this message across, but there weren't any real laughs here, besides Chris imitating Minnie Mynah. I was watching some old 1990s episodes on YouTube and they were more reminiscent of a sitcom than anything else. I feel like Leslie was trying to go for some laughs with her Minnie voice, but (at least to me) it just came off kind of irritating. The song solidified my thought they are just trying to squeeze one in during every street story, because it really was just unnecessary. But I'm being picky. This really was a fine street story.

I know it has been around for upwards of a decade, but I have to say that I am not a big fan of Matt Vogel's Big Bird puppet. It's just the way the feathers are fluffed out it casts a little shadow over the face. And I think the head is just too wide. I don't know. I've sort of always felt that way. That's just me.

Oh and SNUFFY! Snuffy was there, too!

FredMuseumMan7

Reaction score
I did catch today's episode, and I watched all of it from start to finish!. Now here's what happened in today's episode. Big Bird was sad when Minnie "stole" her nest, The Supreme Bird Court changed the Bird rule because it was unfair. I thought it was an AMAZING street story.

Here was today's episode breakdown................

-Jonah Hill and Murray demonstrate the word "empty"
-Bird Empty Nest Animation song
-A bird comes up to Murray and he doesn't know what bird it is so Murray goes to the Staten Island Zoo to see some birds
-Super Grover 2.0:Across the Bridge (from A Bicycle Built by Two)
-Elmo's Letter of the Day Song: "Q"
-Quincy's Letter Q Song
-Murray decides to see some more birds
-Abby's Flying Fairy School:Blogg's Schlubby Sock
-The Count's Number of the Day Dance: 0
-A penguin leaves 0 Snacks from for his father
-Oscar Presents the Number of the Day: 0, which the Count counts 0 sets of things. At the end, Oscar takes the number 0 in his trash can
-Elmo's Ducks Song
-Murray brings Big Bird to the Staten Island Zoo
-Elmo the Musical: Bird the Musical
-Sesame Street was brought to you today by the Letter "Q" and by the Number "0".

Drtooth

Reaction score
The song solidified my thought they are just trying to squeeze one in during every street story, because it really was just unnecessary. But I'm being picky. This really was a fine street story.
I'll agree to that. It wasn't a bad song by any means, but it felt shoehorned in. In fact, unlike the rushed pacing of other episodes this season, this one felt like it added in the song to make the street story longer.

I'll agree that the Mynah bird was obnoxious, but it seemed like that was the intent. Compared to those other two examples I mentioned, she actually feels subdued and nuanced. Really. A number 15 who whines through the whole episode was far more overbearing than an actual antagonistic presence that's supposed to want the audience to throw tomatoes. But I really think overall it did a better job talking about not taking things that rightfully belong to someone else than the Cookie Monster and the wand episode. At least we got to see Big Bird go through a range of emotions. Abby on the other hand was perfectly Stepford smiling and doing silly stuff with Elmo instead of having any character development of any kind. They didn't make this one quite as safe, and dejected Big Bird losing his home gave a nice emotional punch.

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
At least we got to see Big Bird go through a range of emotions. Abby on the other hand was perfectly Stepford smiling and doing silly stuff with Elmo instead of having any character development of any kind. They didn't make this one quite as safe, and dejected Big Bird losing his home gave a nice emotional punch.
Yeah, Big Bird is always a great character to have go through multiple emotions because he plays them so well. He's not an outwardly gimmick-y character, so that just leaves him to play emotions truthfully that a child would experience. That was something that they really have done nicely in recent years.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Darn it! An episode that I was really looking forward to see airs today and I miss it despite the fact that I don't have school on Fridays! :sigh:

Oh well...I'll just have to wait for the half hour version to pop up on PBS Kids' website...

cahuenga

Reaction score
Who were the humans on the street scenes? and was BB performed by Matt vogel? voyce and puppet? thanks!!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Who were the humans on the street scenes? and was BB performed by Matt vogel? voyce and puppet? thanks!!
Carol did Big Bird's voice. I don't know about the puppetry. Chris was the only human. The street story was very good. Leslie's performance of Minnie was good. I laughed when Chris imitated her "Mine, mine, mine." The song was very touching. The WOTD was funny. MHALL was very good. Finally we get another regular Muppet in the bits. Big Bird didn't appear until the end but, it was worth the wait.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
But it's great to see Big Bird back in action in such a big street story. And to speak to the credit of those certain episodes, Minnie the Mynah was actually less abrasive and obnoxious than the number 15 and Penelope Penguin were... and Minnie was supposed to be an antagonist! Not only that, but Big Bird also managed to get snuck into the end of the Murray had a little Lamb bit. Today was the Bird's time to shine.
Yeah. That's what they need, more interaction with Muppets in Murrary wraparounds. I could definitely see that happening in some areas. Even in this ep when Murray met the pigeon. I thought that would have been a good place for Bert to make an appearance. (Though I've noticed all Bert's pigeons are live pigeons while other pigeons are merely Muppets, but that's another story.)

I know it has been around for upwards of a decade, but I have to say that I am not a big fan of Matt Vogel's Big Bird puppet. It's just the way the feathers are fluffed out it casts a little shadow over the face. And I think the head is just too wide. I don't know. I've sort of always felt that way. That's just me.
So that was Matt who performed him in the street scene? I thought the voice was a little different, but I was thinking that was because he was saddened through must of the ep. I sort of that Carroll and Matt may have alternated there. I know it was Carroll in MHLL.

Update: Okay. I just read Antsam's post. So now what I'm hearing is that it was Matt in the costume and Carroll doing the voice. I thought that only happened when he and :grouchy: are in the same scene. But maybe I'm wrong. I know Carroll is sort of at the point where he isn't really able to walk around in that bird costume as often as he used to.