Sesame Street signature songs

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Hey- so maybe this has been done before. I don't know. But the other thread about Zoe got me thinking about trying to do such a list. So here's a few select Sesame Street Muppets and what I think could count as their signature song (though it's hard with some because they have a number of memorable songs.)

Kermit the Frog- Being Green (hands down, this will always be the top song associated with him- and this is true on both Sesame Street and The Muppet Show and anything else, pretty much.):smile:

Ernie- Rubber Duckie (again- no question here.):stick_out_tongue:

Bert- Doin' The Pigeon:frown:

Elmo- Elmo's Song (and I really like the original version that Elmo sang with Big Bird and Snuffy- that was cute. And I've run out of smileys I can use; just as well since we don't have one for Elmo anyway... yet.)

Cookie Monster- C is for Cookie (and that's good enough for me!)

Oscar the Grouch- I Love Trash

Grover- Around, Over, Under and Through (this one is hard to call since Grover has a number of great songs- I think I would have to add "Proud of Me" and "Monster in the Mirror" as other possible nominations- but I think the one I've chosen here is probably one of the best remembered especially for his memorable machinations getting around, over, under and through those saloon doors!)

Big Bird- ABC-DEF-GHI (Big Bird's had a couple great songs- but this has to be the all time classic- the fact that it's been redone a couple of times adds credence to that I think.)

The Count- Counting is Wonderful (Oh, this was another toughie. I was also thinking of "The Batty Bat" as a possibility and maybe there's still better ones I'm not thinking of right now.

Sherlock Hemlock- X Marks the Spot (helps that this was about the only song he ever did.)

Don Music- Mary Had a Bicycle (I was torn between this one and his remake of the Sesame Street theme song. Hmm- maybe Yellowstone Park really should get the edge here.)

Gladys- Proud to be a Cow (this one seemed pretty obvious)

Zoe- My Name is Zoe (if she can be said to have one, I'd say this would be a good choice)

Prairie Dawn- All By Myself (this one seems like a good choice- unless we want to count her intro to all her little plays- "Welcome dear viewer to our little show...")

Kingston Livingston III- Happy to be Me

Roosevelt Franklin- unless there's a better choice that I probably just don't know of or have forgotten, I guess I'd say the intro to his Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School sketches

Guy Smiley- I think it should be that song he sang to the letter E in the beauty pageant game show sketch. lol

Frazzle- Frazzle (well, that was easy. lol)

Herry Monster- Herry's Family (about the best I can think of offhand)

Snuffy- The Snuffle Lullaby, maybe?

Harvey Kneeslapper- Tell a Joke (great, funny song and sketch)

Hoots- Put Down the Duckie, maybe?

Forgetful Jones- I'll Always Remember I Love You (because this is just such a sweet song to Clementine- love it)

Buster the Horse- Flabbergasted (because I still so well remember him singing this song on an episode of Sesame Street I saw as a kid)

......Okay, well there's probably others I'm not thinking of and probably better choices than the ones I picked for some of these- anyway, let's hear some other SS characters and their signature songs.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
It's kinda nice to have a signature song, isn't it? Because then, like Elton John said, you can tell everyone this is your song!:smile::big_grin::sing: (okay, sorry- I just haven't been able to get that line out of my head lately. lol)

ISNorden

Reaction score
My choice for Herry: "I Can't Help It" (the song where he apologizes for being accident-prone and not knowing his own strength).

For Lefty the Salesman, his only known song: "Would You Like to Buy an O?"

For Ernie, tied with "Rubber Duckie": "Imagination" deserves at least as much recognition, considering Ernie's fantasy life and the number of remakes the song has had.

For Mr. Hooper, his only known song: "When I Was as Little as You Are"....sung to some street kids, I think.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm thinking that The Count's signature song was The Song of the Count, until The Batty Bat came around.

I think Don Music's could have been his variation of Twinkle, Twinkle.

Little Jerry and the Monotones signature song is probably Telephone Rock.

Chrissy and the Alphabeats signature song is probably Count it Higher.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Cool lists- I'd like to recommend "Doin' the snuffleupagus" as Snuffy's signature song. He's only sung it twice (once in the old school days and again in the 90s I think), but it is the song that goes along with the music that used to play in the "invisible snuffy" days whenever he would enter or exit a scene.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. He sang it in the 2000s as well in 'The Street We Live on Special.'

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Roosevelt Franklin- unless there's a better choice that I probably just don't know of or have forgotten, I guess I'd say the intro to his Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School sketches
I don't know about that one... His voice isn't heard very clearly. It's more of a chorus song. In the early Roosevelt Franklin Elementary School sketches we only heard the vocals over a shot of the school. In later sketches we saw a transparent view of Roosevelt and the other students singing over the outside of the school... So he did sing, but it wasn't really a solo. Most of these "signature" sings are more or less solo songs. Roosevelt had his own album, though I don't think any of those songs were ever performed on the show... And in the first season he sang three songs ("Roosevelt Franklin Counts", "Roosevelt Franklin's Days of the Week", and "Roosevelt Franklin's Alphabet"). There's also "Bad Luck to be Born a Duck", plus that song he sang about how he used to be unable to spell... A clip appeared in Sesame Street Unpaved, and I think that song is "Roosevelt Franklin Spells His Name" (the CTW Archives lists a song by that title, and seems like an appropriate match).

Does Abby have a song yet? The only two solo songs I know of are Kids with Wings and I Like Words (man, that would have been a great signature song for Murray, who doens't have his own song yet). I keep thinking that "Because We're Friends" should be it, if she didn't sing with Zoe and Rosita (who all are equal in the song, though it begins with them talking about how they met Abby).

I guess "In the Trash Can" would be Bruno's song, though he's not the lead singer (despite the group being called "Bruno and the Trashmen").

I wonder if "We Coulda" is Biff and Sully's song. It seems like most songs featuring Biff don't have Sully with him (such as "One Thing Leads to Another and "Think of Your Fingers"). Of course Sully doesn't talk so it's debatable whether any song would be considered his song.

For many characters it's hard to determine if they actually have a signature song, regardless of whether it's only one song or if they've sung many. I feel like some songs are classic enough to the their respective characters signature songs ("X Marks the Spot", "Would You Like to Buy an O?"), but others seem hard to determine, even if the characters hardly have any other songs ("Tell a Joke").

Katzi428

Reaction score
In Sesame Street Unpaved it said that Prairie Dawn's song was "Little Things" But I guess "All By Myself" could be hers too.:smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Sesame Street Unpaved it said that Prairie Dawn's song was "Little Things" But I guess "All By Myself" could be hers too.:smile:
Those profiles usually listed up to three "favorite songs" for each character, with the first one usually being a song they sang on the show (and usually the "signature" songs... It listed "Fuzzy and Blue" as one of Herry's favorites), and then a few non-Sesame songs that sort of have to do with the charater (some are pretty much puns).

And now I wonder... What would be Ernie AND Bert's signature song? They've had quite a few songs together... Imagination, But I Like You, One and One Make Two (has that one even been performed on the show itself?), La La La, Things That I Remember...

I wonder if there should be a CD or DVD containing all of the characters signature songs. This would obviously cause a lot of double (or actually more) dipping (I think Sesame Street Platinum pretty much has all the signature songs from the major pre-1996 characters). But it would be abit interesting.

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
I think Because We're Friends counts as Zoe, Abby & Rosita's signature song because it was about how Zoe & Rosita became friends with Abby and what they like to do together.

Do you think Mary Had a Bicycle is Don Music's signature song?

Does I Don't Want to Live on the Moon count as one of Ernie's signature songs?