The Beetles-Letter B

Hoots-Put down the duckie

Gladys-Proud to be a cow

Kingston Livingston III-Happy to be Me

The show in general: either Sing or the ever famous theme song

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
For Lefty the Salesman, his only known song: "Would You Like to Buy an O?"

For Ernie, tied with "Rubber Duckie": "Imagination" deserves at least as much recognition, considering Ernie's fantasy life and the number of remakes the song has had.
Good call on Lefty. "O, Would You Like to Buy an O?" is certainly his classic song (and probably only. lol)

I agree that "Imagination" is also largely associated with Ernie and is certainly a great song. Of course, there's a number of other Ernie songs I love too. I think I would give "Rubber Duckie" the edge because it's probably one of the oldest Sesame Street songs and I think has actually landed on music charts at some point. But they're both great songs- and that's the trouble with doing these kinds of lists. Some of these characters have so many great songs it's hard to pick just one as their signature song.

My choice for Herry: "I Can't Help It" (the song where he apologizes for being accident-prone and not knowing his own strength).
I like this one for Herry- good choice. This is even more direct to who Herry Monster is, so I would definitely go along with this one.

I'm thinking that The Count's signature song was The Song of the Count, until The Batty Bat came around.
The Count has had a number of great songs, but I think I'd agree that The Song of the Count should probably be up there- perhaps with The Batty Bat coming in right behind it.

Cool lists- I'd like to recommend "Doin' the snuffleupagus" as Snuffy's signature song. He's only sung it twice (once in the old school days and again in the 90s I think), but it is the song that goes along with the music that used to play in the "invisible snuffy" days whenever he would enter or exit a scene.
All right! Good call- I knew there had to be a better song for Mr. Snuffleupagus- I just couldn't think of it at the time.

Little Jerry and the Monotones signature song is probably Telephone Rock.

Chrissy and the Alphabeats signature song is probably Count it Higher.
Yep- no question there, at least as far as I'm concerned. Those are the two I know best from Little Jerry and the Monotones and from Chrissy and the Alphabeats.

For Mr. Hooper, his only known song: "When I Was as Little as You Are"....sung to some street kids, I think.
That's cool- I hadn't really thought so much of the human characters initially, but we can definitely include them.
Offhand, I would probably have to nominate Bob for "The People in Your Neighborhood".
And maybe Susan for "One of These Things".

The Beetles-Letter B
The Beetles performed a couple of songs on Sesame Street, but I suppose this may be their best known one.

In Sesame Street Unpaved it said that Prairie Dawn's song was "Little Things" But I guess "All By Myself" could be hers too.
Okay- that's cool. I guess when I think of "Little Things", I think of the live action video montage and Joe Raposo singing the song. Has Prairie Dawn herself sung the song on the show at some point? Because I would definitely associate that one with her as well.

Perhaps the criteria for a "signature song" should be defined a bit better. I'm mainly thinking of classic Sesame Street songs that either the Muppet or human character has in fact sung themselves (particularly as a solo or at least lead vocals) and one that really defines their character or personality or at least some aspect of it. Or it could just be something that's widely associated with the character above any other song. Also, when a song has actually become so famous as to land on music charts and been not only aired repeatedly on the show, but recreated and performed repeatedly on the show as well. And sometimes it's just because there honestly aren't any other songs really known for a character. (in the case of Harvey Kneeslapper, I don't know of any other songs for him other than "Tell A Joke", but I enjoy the song and really think it defines his personality pretty well.) And particularly when it's an older song perhaps dating all the way back to 1969 that still meets these characteristics, then I would definitely be inclined to include it. Also whenever the song actually transcends the show, as in the case of "Bein' Green", which Kermit has sung on The Muppet Show and numerous other places as well.
Any others?
:smile::wisdom::search: