1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Sesame Street "Surprise" Song

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Mike74, Nov 12, 2012.

1. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

EVERY Muppet memory is a "fuzzy memory"

(except Muppet comedian memories which are "Fozzie memories")

2. luvoldsesame

luvoldsesame New Member

The stuff I have posted is very vivid in my recollections, so Im certain they were part of it. It was trying to piece together the rest of it which was perplexing me. The things others have posted is triggering memories too.

3. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

Have we found this skit yet?

4. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

It's audio only but this is the sketch where Ernie and Bert see Snuffy

5. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

That's a really neat find. Do you know how old this is. It actually did sound like Marty's Sunffy in the clip which would make it somewhere between 1981 to 1985 (when Snuffy was introduced to the public. :)) But I may be wrong on this. (After all, I was wrong once in 1987, so it's possible.) Since Snuffy only had one line there it's hard to tell who was voicing him, so it could have been Jerry or Michael. Does anyone have any additional info on this?

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. DePingPong

DePingPong Active Member

It's from 1983

7. Daffyfan2003

Okay. So I was right. That was one of the Marty Robinson/Snuffy years, two years before the whole cast would meet him. :)

8. Luke kun

Did we find it yet?

9. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

Some of it has been found. It's not the full song, but all three cutaways have been found.

MikaelaMuppet and Blue Frackle like this.
  10. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

Looks like an early version of Herry Monster.

11. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

It is!

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  12. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

But which one is the early little jerry?

13. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

The one that looks like he's the lead singer.

14. Luke kun

Oh my Jim, we're close to unearthing a holy grail!!! Tell me when the "Oscar isn't in" part gets found.

15. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

I think it's worth bumping this thread, because recently, Guille (Sawing14s/MuppetVJ/Boober_Gorg) recently uploaded some screenshots of rare clips from the 70's as well as the first season. (For more information, read the most recent post I made in this thread here [at the bottom of the page]: http://www.muppetcentral.com/forum/...pisodes-coming-from.60264/page-2#post-1188999)

One of them happens to be "Surprise". So, yes, we FINALLY have some photos and an overall description of the song. I'm seriously hoping the video shows up on YouTube sometime soon (as well as the other rare clips Guille uploaded screenshots of)! Until then... http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Surprise_(Geiss/Pottle)

16. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

I think that's a different version of Surprise.

17. Daffyfan2003

I wondered about that, mainly which Gordon era it took place in. Now we know it's the bald one that we all know today. Though Gavry's post about it being a different version could be true as well since so many sketches/songs get remade over the years, but you never know. Either way, thanks for posting, Sesamemuppetfan. Hopefully this is a sign we'll get a video clip of that soon.

18. sesamemuppetfan

What's that supposed to mean? This song has to fit the description of what people have been talking about here.

No problem. I too hope we'll get a video clip soon, as well as the other rare clips we now have pictures of...especially considering they were obtained by Sawing14s himself, and as he stated on his trading website "The Old School DVD sets, while still worth buying, are not enough to satisfy those who grew up in the 70s and 80s. Fans deserve the freedom to see the segments they personally remember, which are sometimes impossible to find in VHS/DVD format, unless people were smart enough to record these gems back then." so hopefully, HOPEFULLY he'll be willing to share Surprise (and the other rare clips he obtained) with the rest of the world. And since Surprise seems to be a well-remembered clip from the 70's (based on the previous posts on this thread), I'd be "surprised" if it didn't make its way to YouTube anytime soon!

19. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

No, it wasn't written by Raposo, so it must be a different song with the same name.

20. sesamemuppetfan

OK...go back to the beginning of this thread, and you might take note that there are posts in here referring to BOTH versions of this song...

Bliffenstimmers likes this.