Sesame Street to Introduce HIV-Positive Muppet

Jackie

Reaction score
Who's to say what religion in the world is right? There are hundreds and hundreds of cultures. Each believing that they are right and no one else is. There is a family down the street from me who tells a friend of my brother's all the time that he's going to (for sake of this board) heck for being of the Jewish religion. Things like that really upset me. I think it's very ignorant to believe that you are completely right and no one else is.

I do not believe in god or a religion, but I don't expect other people to believe that. I couldn't possibly say that I am definitely right that there is no other "powers" out there that created everything. I just believe what I choose to believe and I try to be a good person with what I have. I know many bad people who have religion, and I know many good people who have a religion. Same with the people who don't. Every person is different, and I try to judge people individually, for who THEY are inside.

It's good to incorporate other people's views into your own. It's not good to just stick to old written beliefs that could POSSIBLY be outdated. We have to question authority sometimes because it's not always right. I know for a fact that if I did believe in a God I would question him QUITE often.

Back to what I was trying to say now...God never came down from above and said to me, "Jackie, all gay people are morally wrong." That's like God saying to me..."Jackie, kill your brother and prove your faith to me." I wouldn't hurt my brother, and I would not believe that gay people are any different from me.

I can't understand how a gay person feels because I don't have those type of feelings. But if they feel attracted to a person of their sex the way I feel towards my boyfriend, then I believe what they feel is a truly good thing.

I love my friends on this board and everything that makes them them, and when someone tells them that they are wrong, it hurts me because they have no right to say that. I don't care if you believe it, but DO NOT tell them that they are wrong. Everyone is FREE to believe what they need to believe. Just as Special Ed needs to believe in what he believes in. We can't change his mind, but just as Sesame Street trys to do...it educates children to be open in their acceptance of other people, something in which parents can't always provide.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

Hey, speaking of a person on Sesame with AIDS, I saw they just came out with an Elmo's World playset with Mr. Noodle. I think if anything, Mr. Noodle is a great example of someone living with the disease that they could start with.
When it started out, Mr. Noodle kinda creeped me out (i dunno why). Now that I know he has this, I can't watch it anymore. Mainly because I've been such a doofus about not liking him, now I feel so sorry, and I respect him.

Of course, repecting someone who wears a nerd ensamble (as Homer Simpson would say), capering about, and wearing a goofy grin on his face is a new one to me!

At least he goes out and does his job. I salute Mr. Noodle.

Joggy

Reaction score
My thoughts on everything I've seen here... not meant to agree or disagree with anything, just my opinions...

What I see in today's world is two ways of thinking. One is: "Life is BAD. If you find something good coming your way, you're lucky." Or: "Life is GOOD. If anything bad happens, that's bad luck."

Call me naïve or childish, but I believe in the second option and I always believed in it, and I always will. I think this is an attitude that should be taught to children, because it helps them appreciate life. I see so many people in my neighbourhood who have no idea how to enjoy life, simply because their lives had been nothing but learning hard things about life - such as "Life is about work", "Nobody in the world can be trusted because everyone is different", "Never mind, everybody's gonna die somehow". No wonder every young person in my country is slaved to partying, drinking, sex and drugs. When I grew up, every conflict in life like racism, sex, wars and diseases would be discussed whenever I felt I needed to know it - either in school or by my parents.

One way to accomplish this is to offer children a safe world to flee to, without losing grip to the real world. Which is where TV comes in. I think serious considerations should be taken when making, and letting children watch, such TV shows. Henson's always been good at this. After all, isn't the dream of 'another world' the reason why all the Muppet fans loved Fraggle Rock and/or Sesame Street as a child? Isn't this the main factor of true Muppet fandom?

Nevertheless, there's the mentioned "without losing grip to the real world". Which is where SS comes in. Sesame Street always managed to teach children about tough things in life, to a certain extent. Such as death (Mr Hooper) and racism (for instance, in the beginning, so many people were against Susan and Gordon because they were black). But never in a way like: "Kids, watch out. The world is bad and dangerous and here's what you can do to survive." Which SS has never been about and, I hope, never will be. What Annika wrote about an US version, Zoe's cousin coming to visit, would be a very good way, I think.

We're not even talking about a US version - AIDS and HIV is a serious problem in South Africa and I think this new Muppet would be just as useful for teaching children there to appreciate people with the disease, as Gordon and Susan are for teaching children that black people and white people are the same.

I wonder what would happen if this were the 60's and someone would say "We're gonna bring black and white people together in a kids' show". I think we'd have the same sort of discussion then.

About the homosexuality thing - that's something that cannot be solved. People will always disagree. Some will approve of it, some won't. Some because they find it perverse, others because the Bible says or doesn't say so or because they find it morally wrong. Everyone has a right for their own opinions, as long as we leave eachother alone and don't insult other people. What we do have to keep in mind in especially this discussion is the difference between homosexuality and, let's say, murdering. Killing a person is against the human rights. Homosexuality isn't. Nobody is being harmed (well, unless you don't wear protection…) when a man loves another man or a woman loves another woman.

About homosexuality on Sesame Street - as far as I know, sex has never been a Sesame Street topic and I think it's wrong to teach children about it at the age of four. Toddlers do not need any sexual education because they have different ideals, mostly needs like food and love.

There's been hetero love on SS, for example Maria and Luis' marriage, and even though this leaded to the birth of a child, the sexual part has never been involved. It's just loving eachother.
If there would be a homosexual couple on SS, that would be the way to do it, but I think we already have perfect role models - Bert and Ernie. Sure, they are not homosexual. They're just friends. But they are two boys living together and being the closest of friends and loving eachother (why else do they constantly say "I like you"?)

One final word on the whole thing: What I have noticed is that the US are always very careful and scared about presenting topics to kids. Europe, at least Holland, seems to be more tolerant. Remember how shocked, or at least surprised, everyone was when Bear devoted a whole episode and a book to "potty time"? Let me tell you - in our version of Sesame Street, it is SO common for a character to say "poop" or "pee" and any other variation of it. Last season, they devoted one episode to swearing (Tommie the dog learns that yelling 'SH##' at an adult is not a decent thing to do). Dutch SS even shows kids going to the toilet with the door open, or actors taking a shower, and there's never been a fuss about that. It's everyday life and there's no need to keep it a secret.

S

Special_Ed

Trekkie,

It's more than being a good or bad person. IT's accepting Christ into your heart and living it.

Luke,

Great post, as always. I didn't use the term "birth defect" to get a reaction, I used it because that is what they classified it as. If they're born with it and it's against the norm, as they so claim, then it's indeed called a birth defect.

Fellow lover,

I don't not think it is sinful to be silent when you have a chance to evangelize to others and steer them on the right path, however it is not the right thing to do. If you see someone drowning do you just watch them die or try to save them?

I never said I wasn't descriminating, I said I was tolerent of other people, just not accepting of their actions.

Jackie,

There are a lot of facts that support Christianity as the one true religion. For example there are things in the Bible mentioned about the earth in general that were not known by science until a few decades ago. Even the widely accepted theory of evolution has flaws in it so large you could drive a semi truck through them.

Not everyone can be right, can they? THere can only be one true religion.

Religion is not what makes a person behave badly or goodly. I'm not sure how or why people have that concept.

THe Bible can NEVER be outdated and you can NEVER question God because He is ALWAYS right. You may remember two people who questioned God, Adam and Eve? 'Nuff said.

Do you not recall when God told Abraham to sacrifice his son to prove his faith to Him? You can never question what God commands you to do.

You will be in my prayers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm an easy going guy, but let me say this. GET BACK TO THE TOPIC.

Really, I think everyone is entitled to an opinion (even if we all disagree, we're not The Buddy Bears, you know). In my opinion, I see nothing wrong with an alternate life style, and I don't think it's really about against the bible as xenophobic thoughts (sorry, that's my opinion). I have an aunt and her friend (We say Two aunts) that are lesbians. I don't give a rat's fez about it. They are my favorite aunts, and they always give me all this stuff for Christmas (even though my sister gets more. I wish I were cute).

But Ed is entitled to his opinion as much as Luke's or Joggy's. So what ever he says, he says it out of free speech and no one can really blaime him for that!

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Special Ed,

Well I certainly did not mean to speak for you. I figured that you probably felt it was your Christian duty to bring the "immorality" of homosexuality to the attention of the public, since why else would you be posting here? It seems clear that most people on the forum (at least of those who have participated in the conversation) disagree with you. Unless you are trying to change their attitudes, or at least present a case for the "other side", what is your purpose?

I do have one query, though. How is it possible for you to be both discriminatory *and* tolerant? To me, someone is discriminatory if their views translate into actions... for instance, if you had a gay neighbor who you shunned or a gay employee who you refused to promote simply based on their sexual preference.

I do, however, think that it is possible to disagree with the morality of a homosexual lifestyle without being discriminatory, therefore being tolerant, although still opposed. For instance, you could be civil to your gay neighbor, and amiable with the lesbian employee without drawing their lifestyles into question. I thought that was what you were trying to say when I quoted you.

S

Special_Ed

Joggy,

There is no such thing as luck, everything is divinely thought out as part of a master plan.

THese things were not discussed with children decades ago and the children of these decades did not suffer from the +things you have mentioned here. It is only when we started to thrust this junk onto young minds that their immoral behavior skyrocketed.

There is harm in homosexuality. What a joke, saying there is not!

So you're saying that the Dutch Sesame STreet has tried to replace parenting?

DrTooth,

I have a similar aunt, and I know what it's like. Are you saying you are being bought into accepting your's by gifts?

Thanks for reminding everyone that this is FREE SPEECH!

Fellow Lover,

I am here to debate the issue in a logical way, but the other members here resort to either name caklling, anger, or try to change the subject.

I meant I'd be considered discrimitory because I refuse to accept homosexuality as being a good thing. I am tolerent because I live with these people without physically harming them. Your last paragraph is what I was trying to say. Perhaps our definitions of discrimination are different?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Special_Ed

DrTooth,

I have a similar aunt, and I know what it's like. Are you saying you are being bought into accepting your's by gifts?

Thanks for reminding everyone that this is FREE SPEECH!
You're welcome, though I don't agree with you.:big_grin: or should it be :mad: ?

Aw forget it.

But I accept it, mainly because I'm an easy going guy, and my philosophy is, if it feels good, do it. Of course it does not include making fun of anyone, killing anyone, or anything like that.

But really. Could we get back to the point? This is about Africa. South Africa. HIV is a big deal over there! WHy? I don't watch the news much!

Joggy

Reaction score
Joggy,

There is no such thing as luck, everything is divinely thought out as part of a master plan.

Well, fine if you believe so... People may indeed think that way, and I respect that.

There is harm in homosexuality. What a joke, saying there is not!

I can only say one word: Arguments, my friend. Arguments. I don't say this because I disagree with you (anyone has the right to an opinion), I say it because I think just saying things without giving any good reasons and just making me seem ridiculous, like you did here, is just as big a 'joke' as my point about 'there's no harm in homosexuality'.

You would have stated your point just as clearly if you would have said "I don't agree with you." Because right now, you seem to be making fun of things I believe, and I certainly do not hope that is your way of handling a discussion.

So you're saying that the Dutch Sesame STreet has tried to replace parenting?

I never said anything like that. I'm just saying that over here, very normal topics (to me) like hygiene (going to the bathroom) are easily talked about in children's programming, whereas in America, people seem to be more hesitant against those things mentioned in kids' shows. That's all. No parenting involved here.

radionate

Reaction score
Everyone on the board,

Please accept my personal apologies. I know I said I would no longer post, but I feel I need to defend myself. I will stop posting to this thread as long as Mr. Special Education will stop:

a.) Responding to me
b.) Misquoting me
c.) Leave me out of the conversation compleatly, as you cannot have a discussion about a subject this touchy on a computer. It's just too frustrating for me, and I don't have that much time. I have a life to live, not a lifestyle to defend.

Your story does indeed suggest that you were not born gay, but decided to become gay. The majority of "How I became gay" stories are the same way. Sad home life, being picked on in school, then turning to be gay in the teens or early twenties. You have not proven you were gay from birth, and in fact no scientist has, just as no scientist has proven that it's learned behavior, hgowever there have been some remarkable studies on both sides, yet they tend to disagree often.

I was not saying you spontaniously decided to become gay, but many experiences through your life drove you that way. It is the media who has taken this birth defect concept and ran with it.
1.) I am 27 years old. I was born gay. I was not picked on, did not have a sad home life, was not molested, or anything else that turned me gay in my teens. I have proven I have been gay by birth from my own life and testimony. Just because we haven't found a genetic explaination yet, doesn't mean it doesn't exsist. There has been a great majority of advances in genetic research. We don't know why a lot of things happen in the world, but that doesn't mean they aren't natural events, it just means we lack the technology, knowledge, and know how to figure out why. So you did indeed misquote me.

2.) When I was a teenager I finally found the word to describe what I was feeling. Homosexuality. It was a word I could not utter out loud until my twenties. On April 20, 2001 I proclaimed out loud for the first time that I was gay. I am one of the lucky ones. I have a fantastic support group of friends (mainly straight), who love me and are there for me. Many gays do not. For my blessings, I thank God everyday. For I know that he did not instill anything on me that I could not handle. I also know that I am not a sinner in his eyes.

3.) I also made a decision when I came out that it would serve a purpose. I am very highly visible in both my community and 2 state area. Therefore I have not faced many descriminations or hardships, as I have been embraced by most. I am lucky. But others are not. I pick my fights carefully, and this WAS one of them. I don't really want to get into it here, as I don't care to share with you. But know this. I chose to speak up here, many did not. Please drop this topic, and move on. I find it odd that you have signed onto MC only to post in this thread. Get out of the dark ages. You obviously have a computer. Use it to expand your horizons. Educate yourself, and don't infer things into peoples conversations.

RADIO NATE