Sewing a puppet mouth

JDriller

Reaction score
I have gleaned from several different puppet patterns and even the Foam Book, but I cannot seem to "get" sewing the mouth. What I mean is, right now I create the head from 2 foam pieces glued together down the middle. I create a mouth plate using foamcore covered with felt or muslin. I then glue the foam to the mouthplate. I cover the head with fleece and simply fold over teh fleece at the mouth and glue. It works, but I want to "up" the quality of my craftsmanship. I know there is a way to sew the fleece rather than glue, but I'm lost. Can anyone shed some light on this technique? Or is there an altogether better way?

Jennifer Driller
downpouryouth.org

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I'm assuming your main problem is forcing a needle through the foam core mouthplate. What you need to do is pre-punch holes in the foam core for the needle to go through, much like sewing together a leather pouch (if you ever did a craft like that when you were younger). So find a paper punch or leather punch (such as is used to add an extra buckle hole for a belt or sandal) and have fun!

It's worked for me with corregated plastic and gasket rubber. Also, if the needle ever gets stuck, use some pliers to push it through.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I noticed that you may also be having trouble, as you say, "upping" the quality of the "lips", so I drew up a diagram. It explains how to sew the lip to the mouthplate so as to hide the rough edges of the fabric, and it also reinstates the idea stated in my other post. The first mouth picture is a side view, the second is head-on. Good luck!

http://groups.msn.com/purepuppetry/shoebox.msnw

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Scarry Larry is back! Yea! :excited:

How the heck are `ya?

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Scarry Larry is back! Yea! :excited:

How the heck are `ya?
Yay, Buck-o! Well, I didn't even know I was gone -- I don't have much time cause I'm going to college in Seattle (hoping to major in visual communication/minor in theatre).

I have, however, been meaning to tell you how fun the old Buck clips you posted on Bear Town were. So I'll tell you now: "They were really fun!" :crazy: Thanks for putting those up.

I'll drop you an e-mail. Can you send me your address? Thanks for the re-welcome!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

Jinx

Reaction score
Jennifer-

Here's what I do using the "Foam Book" method. I glued up my foam pieces and mouthplate as usual. But then I skipped a bit to the covering of the foam with the fleece. At the mouth, I simply wrapped the fleece around the edge of the foam and glued it to the inside. After snugging the fleece "skin" to the foam I then go back to install the mouthplate. For me it works quite well to hot-glue the mouthplate to the inside edge of the mouth. The biggest challenge is keeping the glue where you want it so that it doesn't dribble to the inside of the mouth and spoil the appearance. Just work slowly and carefully. This creates a very nice finished look, as all the edges of the fabric are concealed within the head.

Hope this helps!

Frank

JDriller

Reaction score
Thank you!!

You guys gave some great tips. I REALLY appreciate your help. I'm gonna try both methods - possibly to get different looks.

Jen Driller
:excited:

PuppetKel

Reaction score
Sewing Fleece rather than Glue

I have built puppets by first creating foam head with mouth piece glued to foam 1/2" in. I then have sewed all the fleece together along with black material for mouth. Turn fleece inside out and glue the black material on mouth piece and pull skin fleece over the head of the puppet. I don't sew up all the way up the back until turned over and then handsewed.

When I have used anton Fleece, when I glue it onto mouth piece already covered with material, it looks great. Like this way better.

Hope this helps.

PuppetKel

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
You can basically do anything with contact cement. It's like "the glue god", second only to duct tape. That's what I use to glue mouths in place.