Sewing a puppet mouth

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I don't think it's what you meant, but for the record everyone DO NOT use duct tape to make puppet mouths. Once you start sweating, well, it won't end well.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I use Gaffers( not sure if thats spelled right)tape for the hinge but cover that in fabric on both sides.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Duck Tape, Duct Tape, Gaffer's Tape, Gaffer Tape, Gaffa Tape. Pretty much all the same thing, but can vary in price tremendously.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
JDriller said:
I have gleaned from several different puppet patterns and even the Foam Book, but I cannot seem to "get" sewing the mouth. What I mean is, right now I create the head from 2 foam pieces glued together down the middle. I create a mouth plate using foamcore covered with felt or muslin. I then glue the foam to the mouthplate. I cover the head with fleece and simply fold over teh fleece at the mouth and glue. It works, but I want to "up" the quality of my craftsmanship. I know there is a way to sew the fleece rather than glue, but I'm lost. Can anyone shed some light on this technique? Or is there an altogether better way?

Jennifer Driller
downpouryouth.org
ok , first suggestion, dont use Foam core its thick, and bacicly just paper , and it breaks down quickly, go to a craft or hobby store and buy some aircraft ply wood, its very thin, and very strong,
use gaffers tape to make your mouth hinge,
use contact cemet, NOT HOT GLUE!!!!
cover the mouthplate with thin fabric what ever color you may need, i use a thin velor type material, (most fabric shops sell stuff like that)
then after i have sewn the puppet skin togother i fit it over the skull, and lineup my skin seems with the foam seems,
for the mouth edge i glue, not sew, use contact cemet, NOT HOT GLUE!!!!
i paint a 1/4 inch line around the mouth just inside the dge of the mouth plate, , then a coresponding line on the skin around the mouth edge, then i work from the center points out,and ease the skin around the mouth , , i dont sew any thing (normally) to the mouth, thats pretty much how every puppet i have built is done (at least when they have a skin like that, )

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
Punch'n'Judy said:
Duck Tape, Duct Tape, Gaffer's Tape, Gaffer Tape, Gaffa Tape. Pretty much all the same thing, but can vary in price tremendously.
perhaps in the UK, i have noticed differences in some products from US to UK,
but Gaffers tape is most defienetly no Duct tape,

if u want a bond that will hold, and wont get gooey with heat , or stretch ,and takes contct cement weel, use Gaffers tape, maybe a bit more expencie but it works much better , i have worked on puppets that were 25 years old, and the gaffers tape was pretty much perfect.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Sorry, keep forgetting the big watery thing between us has a habit of changing things! Keep up the good work.

J

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
yeah , its wierd how that is, u guys have a great glue over thier called THIXOFIX, works great on Foam latex and Foam rubber , but they dont sell it over here