1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Should Ernie interact with Abby?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Muppet Frog, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Mupp

Mupp Member

Again, I think that it would be really interesting to see Ernie interact with Abby, and yes Bert would be interesting to see too.

As I've mentioned before, I really hope that next season we will see new Ernie and Bert material. New material from them has been absent for so long that I'm beginning to wonder if they've been evicted from 123 Sesame Street!
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That would make for a very relatable true-to-life story on the show...

What if they discussed eviction? Like in this case, suppose Ernie and Bert WERE being evicted from their basement apartment, and even though they try every way imaginable to save their residence, they're still forced out? It's a lot more common than people realize, and I think SST could find a way to help show kids how to cope with it.

Not only that, but realistically, you can't really live in an apartment for as long as any of them have... apartments aren't like houses that you can purchase later in life.
  3. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

As smart as that sounds, I always think that the show is taking in some subjects a bit too far. Like the Amphiban game episode of this season was a bit too much to learn for the average Pre-K to K grader.

I mean there are some subjects on the show that I think that some kids aren't ready to know. :(
  4. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

I agree with that. I mean they did scrap the idea of airing an ep about divorce. Eviction would be along the same path. Though it does make one wonder how they can afford to pay rent in their apartment and who their landlord is and all that jazz.
  5. Mupp

Mupp Member

Gordon and Susan own the building.
  6. D'Snowth

Yes, Gordon and Susan may own the building, but sadly, that doesn't mean that they don't own it under someone else's management, as is the case with a lot of apartments and complexes - if someone was doing poorly with their rent, but had good reason for it, Gordon and Susan would naturally work with them through it, but a higher management might not agree, and order (even by court ruling) to evict tenants at any given time, and G&S would have no say in it.

May be it might be "far", but I don't think it's nowhere near as "too far" as the scrapped divorce episode.
  7. Mupp

Mupp Member

Well, episodes are always tested with children, so I guess it would have to be up to such tests to determine if the concept of eviction could be presented to children without upsetting or confusing them.
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I severely doubt eviction would ever happen. Maybe in the 1970's Mad Magazine parody "Reality Street." But not in this show. Only time anyone came close was the Stars and Streets special from 10 years ago, when someone wanted to tear it down and put up condos. There's only so much reality they can have on the street.

The problem is simple. Depending on how frequently Disney plans to make Muppet Projects (even if it's as small as a web video) it will effect the availability of Steve and Eric (and even David Rudman, since he's Scooter and Janice now). If the Cheapest Movie Ever films, unless it's shot on Sesame's off season, we're likely to see more characters played by Sesame Street regulars like Robinson, Clash (unless they decide to give Clifford a cameo role, but I doubt SW would let him take off that long to do that), and Mazzarino... and all of them. Anyone else (example, Matt Vogel) who ambiguously appears in both SS and TMS productions would also be affected, one way or another.

I know there's always John Tartaglia who performed Ernie in a couple Play With me episodes, but even he's busy with the Shrek musical.
  9. D'Snowth

If not eviction, then how about bankrupcy?

Like maybe the real reason why the Fix-It-Shop initially disappeared in 2002 was because it went bankrupt?

I mean this is something that's happening around us as well - our favorite little hang-outs, establishments, neighborhood workplaces that have been around for YEARS are closing right and left...
  10. Drtooth

Again, if that stuff was all that real, Hoopers would be a Starbucks, The Fix It Shop would be a Kinkos, and there would be one of those annoying 7 dollar cup cake places well to do jerks like to hang out at. Oh, and 123 Sesame Street would have been turned into a luxury apartment, and everyone would be struggling to find places to live.

Either that or the whole area would be bulldozed for Luxury Condos that never actually get built because they run out of funding. Sometimes it's just not a safe bet to be that realistic.
  11. D'Snowth

Not necessarily, they could very well just sit empty for years on in.

Even before I was born, we had a fantastic little burger and ice cream joint here in town (the burgers were the BEST ever... after a while though, their ice cream became gritty and disgusting), until finally in 2006 (which was a dark year anyway) it went out of business... and it's STILL empty to this day. That same year, Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin-Robbins went out of business as well... but NOW they finally tore down the building and put up, of all things, a discount car wash. :(

Well, maybe...
  12. Drtooth

I sorta addressed that as another possibility... how many times has any of us seen an empty lot where something great was bulldozed for some luxury condo or something like that, and they lost funding halfway through, letting old equipment rust behind the chain-link fences with banners saying "GREAT NEW PROGRESS COMING SOON" or something like that.

And of course, what you said... when something goes out of business and they can never sell the place, and it just sits there forever, and NO one wants to actually buy the thing. If this were realistic, I could see that happen. But if "Stars and Streets Forever" taught us anything, they'd stand together and try to stop it from happening anyway.
  13. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Wow! It's weird that we went from an Ernie/Abby interaction topic to a topic about episodes about eviction/management. Oh, well. This stuff had already been shown on MadTV anyway. I guess that's about all we'll get. Lol.

Yeah, but that was just a PWMS thing. Steve still is the official performer of Ernie, so he would need to be available for his actual 'Sesame' appearances, I'm assuming.
  14. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Back to the original question, i could totally see a sketch where Abby's demonstrating her magic to Ernie with Ernie thinking it's cool and asking her to do more all the while oblivious to the various ways the magic is causing increasing discomfort/irritation to Bert.
  15. Drtooth

The problem I see is something similar to the Ernie and Elmo skits that popped up when their toys started really selling. They're cute together, they work, there's chemistry, they're friends... but the sketches and songs they're in aren't all that interesting. There's no tension. Ernie and Bert segments are filled with tension. Ernie needs to be paired up with someone who's annoyed (or stands to be annoyed) with his antics. I'd say a skit with Abby and Bert would stand to have more potential. Bert is a stuffed shirt, the littlest thing makes him fly off the handle, he faints routinely... why not exasperate that?

Of course, more that I think about it, I'm not saying an Abby and Ernie skit wouldn't work. There is the tension she brings by being a novice fairy, and messing up her magics. She could turn Rubber Duckie into a pumpkin (thing she's good at) causing Ernie to get very upset until she finds the right spell to change it back, having Ernie get more and more upset with each time. Something similar to Ernie interacting with Mumford, only Abby makes sure to get everything right, and she actually does feel bad for herself when something goes wrong.

So YES, I guess there is some potential in that pairing. But again, it all boils down to Steve's availability.
  16. Mupp

Mupp Member

Forgive me for coming back to this, but I have something else to add;

One of the core things of Sesame Sesame Street is that its supposed to be a happy place where "Everything's A-OK" and "every door is open wide"
    And no matter what problem, scary situation or disaster that befalls the residents of the street, there is always ultimately a happy/positive ending.

Plus, now that I think about it, Sesame Street has already tackled the issue of "economic troubles" in the TV special when Elmo's mom lost her job and his family had to cope with the situation of being careful with their money. And ultimately, that situation had a positive/hopeful ending.
  17. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

If SW does come up with some Ernie and Abby scenes it would be these. There could be a street scene where Abby helps Ernie make Bert nicer to him all the time or like the same interest as Ernie's. Ernie and Abby can pretend to be dogs. Abby can show Ernie how to turn an O into a Q. Ernie can teach Abby how to do the Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes. Ernie and Abby could talk about E. Ernie and Abby do opposites. Ernie sings a lullaby for Abby's nap.
  18. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Ernie and Abby interact. I mean, Ernie showed that he knows Abby in Elmo's Green Thumb by saying her name.
  19. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Another idea. Elmo helps Abby turn Ernie turn into a monster and Bert gets ticked off. Or Gordon and Ernie go give Abby a pumpkin pie and Abby acciedentally grows it into a giant pumpkin pie. Or even a group meet where Elmo, Abby, and Cookie Monster sleep over at Ernie and Berts apartment.:p
  20. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

If they cant get the Muppet Ernie to interact with Abby, why not have Abby on Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures? Elmo was on there before. Why not Abby?