Should Sesame Street continue after season 40?

Should it end?

• Yes, it's run its course.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • No way! We need it!

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
They eventually moved away from the Around the Corner era (which I didn't mind too much, but just trying to make a point.)
This is true, but 'Around the Corner' was an experiment. Can the same be said for the uninspiring show that's being produced now? Not to say that I want the show off the air by any means but it's really not the same thing anymore :cry: . Kids everywhere need Sesame Street, but not the one that we have today! I don't know what's better: A skeleton of a show that was once plump with entertainment for all ages in an interesting format or no show at all...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not sure what's better either. The only thing I keep coming back to is, it's easier to introduce the older stuff to kids when the show is still on the air. So for that reason, I would hope for the show to continue.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of the things they have tried in recent years have been experiments, and most of is hasn't really lasted to long. But it seems like every so slowly they are starting to move closer to the only format with every season. But I doubt that it could ever go back to exactly what it used to be. It grows. But I guess what works works and what doesn't doesn't. Journey to Ernie did not work, but clearly Elmo's world does. So it feels half way natural. So it's like a show compromising with itself.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I guess part of the conflict is popularity. Barney was very popular too, but not everyone agreed it was great for kids.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Honestly, I think that you could show older episodes of Seseme Street and kids really wouldn't know the difference. It's basically the same lessons that they teach today, nothing really different.

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I agree, kids don't discriminate about new and old as much as we seem to think they do. I'm not a child psychology expert, but it seems every few years they're always coming out with some new trend regarding children, what they like, the way they learn etc. But in reality, these trends may speak for some children, but that doesn't mean things have actually changed that much.

People haven't changed much in general throughout history, we repeat ourselves over and over. I've read too much to believe otherwise.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I'm going to mention it anyway.

Sesame Street isn't designed for adults. It is designed for children. Yes, there are aspects of the show that adults might find appealing, otherwise it wouldn't work. But it's still a kid's show, and kids want Elmo and like the way the show is now, so that's what Sesame Street of today is going to be.

The world would be a far worse place without Sesame Street.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
The world would be a far worse place without Sesame Street.
It's been awhile since I've heard truer words spoken (typed?), thanks Super Scooter. And I agree whole heartedly.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I guess part of the conflict is popularity. Barney was very popular too, but not everyone agreed it was great for kids.
That's very true! Good point!:smile: You know, I couldn't agree with you more about that. I could never figure out why the point of Barney. But after it beat Sesame street in merchandise, now I'm convinced I know it's true purpose of being on the air. And the people At Sesame Workshop felt they had to compete with if the year after for some reason. I was reading Rosco Orman's book and he mentions the changes they made to the show after Barney and Friends first aired. I wish I could find it. My mom was reading it and she put it it her room somewhere. I wish we could find it.

muppet baby

Reaction score
I everybody, well i have one thing to say about SS, it rocks, and also i really don't every want to see it canceled, i must admit i really hated that i had to stop watching it in the late 80s due to time and school was totally not that much fun .

This show is the best thing that could happen to happen to TV i have to say that i when i was a kid and in Pre school i will say that i did not get into it until the second year of pre school , i will say that i love anything that has to do with the Muppets in General , he he .
For those of you who are not liking in it anymore because of the fact that it has changed over the years well , so what nothing will ever stay the same change happens in Everything . I was really surprised when someone said that the show should quit because a lot of original cast was Aging in General no one goes on forever .
This is suppose to be fun and and have some education to it , that is what makes it so great .
This show was good from beginning until now and will always be great . This is timeless and is better than all that other mindless juck that they say is for kids and family and it really is not .

One more thing that i have always wanted to ask why are so many people so down on Elmo , in SS he is really cool and always has been since his Debue in the muppet world .
Yes Elmo's world has gone though some changes but it is still cute he he he .

The bottom line for me is SS rocks and i hope that it is around for another 40 years