Should Sesame Street continue?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Kids do like other characters besides Elmo. Just because he's the most famous of the group doesn't mean everyone likes him. Elmo's just the everyman character, as the show's age demographic is around the same age. But It really looks like Cookie Monster has made a co0meback in recent years. All the merchandise seems to be either Elmo, Abby, or Cookie-centric now (the breakfast cereals come in Cookie Monster and Elmo). And it's been like that for a while. Not to mention that Grover has his own recurring segment on the show. Only Abby and Elmo have that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Kids do like other characters besides Elmo. Just because he's the most famous of the group doesn't mean everyone likes him. Elmo's just the everyman character, as the show's age demographic is around the same age.
Elmo's more than just the everyman character. They wouldn't push him so much if they didn't think he'd get a reaction from the audience.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's chicken and egg, really. Somehow, they found out he became popular and they started pushing him. But it wasn't a forceful "Till Death" push, where no one was biting. Abby almost was, unlike Elmo. I once had a writing teacher tell me that kids specifically like 2 kinds of characters over all others. Goofy, childish ones, and actual children they can relate to. While there are other characters to relate to, Elmo's the most generic of the group, personality wise (i.e. not neurotic, grouchy, overly eager...etc.) not to mention he's the same age as the target demo. Then again, Elmo's stardom, while it started to climb in the early 90's, came out of the necessity to fill out a cast that was left decimated by performers passing on or moving on (well before they recast major roles) and other new characters failing to stick or relate to kids. Elmo may be pushed a little, but he stuck while characters like Benny Rabbit, Sherri Netherland, and the Monkey Brothers quickly ran out of material, and thus lost their relevance.

However, I've noticed that Sesame Street is marketing and using the core characters. Ones that stood the test of time that have always been on the show. Ernie, Bert, Big Bird, Snuffy, The Count... etc. Just no Mumford, Placido Flamingo, Sam the Robot type characters. Unless it's something specifically nostalgic.

That said, whatever season is filmed after the one currently in production is going to be interesting with a recast Elmo. If his role is diminished a little, leaving room for other characters, that would be the only positive thing coming out of that. But then again, there's going to be gaps if Muppet projects conflict with SS's taping.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Anyone noticed a lack of Telly recently? I am a Telly fan and would love to see him on the show more often. The last time I saw him on a new episode was "Don't Wake The Baby" when him and Elmo were "The Noise Patrol".

Rugratskid

Reaction score
Oh, I apologize. I haven't been watching this Season due to ETM. :laugh: I'm not a fan of ETM at all, and wonder why it was replaced. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. :grouchy: Guess I'll just have to suck it up and get used to ETM.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, you're definitely the minority. And considering it's the last 1/4 of the show, you can still watch everything UP to ETM.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It would be foolish to downplay Telly anyway. Other than a fact he's almost a Sesame Street exclusive puppeteer when the Muppets are going to film other projects, they've just promoted him to acknowledgement. For the first time ever he's on the cover of coloring books. A privilege given only to the mainest of the main cast. he had merchandise before, but now he's getting on it consistently.

Rugratskid

Reaction score
I only like the EW episodes from Season 30. The rest are horrible. Actually, I take something back. ETM was ok, I'm just not used to it, just like when EW was introduced, I was hating it. After another month or so, I'll get used to it and probably enjoy it a little. Another one I haven't seen a lot of is Rosita. Maybe I'm just missing the episodes that she is in.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Rosita has been featured prominently the last few years. If anything, Zoe is barely featured and Prairie Dawn hasn't been seen at all.