Should the Around the corner set return for SS 40th birthday....

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Actualy it wasn't beyond sesame Street because it was still on the same street. But I know aht you mean, thought.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think that they should do something big for the 40th year.

wiley207

Reaction score
Maybe the reasons why I didn't particularly enjoy the "Around the Corner" era was because of the hundreds of new characters they introduced, like Stinky the Stinkweed and Sherry Netherland... they also tried to make Betty Lou a major character, and not just appearing in songs and in the books... and maybe how they tried to make the show "cool" and "hip" during that era and began focusing more on Elmo, and probably another reason why I didn't really like it that much was how all the episodes from that era used the Calypso version of the opening theme and that hip, new closing credits sequence. They seriously need to retire those credits now, because they're starting to become out of date, even with them hacking the closing to "update" it.

But I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the Around the Corner area return, IF...

They continue using the "traditional" arrangement of the opening theme they've been using since 2002, and don't switch to anything weird or unusual, like the Calypso theme was.
They don't try to drastically "update" the show to make it "cool" and "hip" and they don't have a "new character explosion" like they did before.
The classic human cast interacts with the Around the Corner environment.
They don't devote entire episodes to the Around the Corner areas and locations.
Otis the Elephant Elevator Operator is performed by one of the recurring veteran Muppeteers like David Rudman, but not given the super-whiny voice that Joey Mazzarino gave the elephant. Believe me, it's a very realistic and great-looking puppet, but the annoying voice takes away the illusion.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah I agree about the population explosion during the Around the Corner era, that's one reason why I too wasn't fond of the era for the show with so many new characters to get to know.

SSLFan

Reaction score
My idea if it was to ever make a comback...

The only thing about returning the Around the Corner is that they'd need someone to run those businesses there, unless they changed. Ruthie and Celina are gone, so they'd need someone to run the Finders Keepers Store (which Ruthie was so identified with) and the Dance Studio.
True. If AtC was to ever return I think the Dance Studio should be ran by Grover, who would also have exercise classes from time to time. Far as on Finders Keepers, I have a few suggestions. It could be turned into a market, a new place for Gina's vet office(I miss the old arbor area), or Charlie's Resturant!(Grover would have two jobs!)
The Furry Arms hotel should be ran by Baby Bear's family, with Benny the Bellhop and Otis the Elevator Operator hopefully making a comeback. I think the hotel's name should be changed to The Fairytale Suite, and various fairytale and nurseyryme charcthers would appear from time to time. The Daycare Center should also be ran by Gabby and Miles(this is so they can raise money for collage or something:smirk: ). Everything else should remain the same, you know, Oscar's Newstand and the Park. That's just my idea for a new Around the Corner set. But, it may never happen, the set was designed in sort of a 90's fashion.
It is considerd 90's Sesame Street. I guess, as someone mentioned before, all good things must come to an end. I just wish SW would release some actual EPISODES(not just made for dvd) of that era( I'm glad they released Old School though). But anyways, I guess no one can live in the past.:cry: (I'm not really crying).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, most of those charcters were introduced before the other set's came along. and they were slowly introduced. But heym it you don't like then just because they were new, then, whatever? But it make sense to give the hotel an owner, that logical, and why not give it a beel hop. And what's wrong with giving Baby Natasha sone parents, finally! It makes sense. But as far as I could tell the human castr was interacting with eveybody else. It seem's to me that it is being looked at as that part of Sesame Street and this side of the street. But it was all just sesame street. Even though it was new at the time. They just wanted to do something big for the 25 year and try something new, but that were wrong and corrected it because there were too many places and too many characters for kids to keep up with. So it's like they admitted it wasn't working anfd that make a mistake with that. That being said, it sound like some adults were having the same problems that kids were having with it. Too many characters. As far as being cool and hip, well, Sesame Street has always been that way despite having a soft sode to them, too.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well, most of those charcters were introduced before the other set's came along. and they were slowly introduced. But heym it you don't like then just because they were new, then, whatever? But it make sense to give the hotel an owner, that logical, and why not give it a beel hop. And what's wrong with giving Baby Natasha sone parents, finally! It makes sense. But as far as I could tell the human castr was interacting with eveybody else. It seem's to me that it is being looked at as that part of Sesame Street and this side of the street. But it was all just sesame street. Even though it was new at the time. They just wanted to do something big for the 25 year and try something new, but that were wrong and corrected it because there were too many places and too many characters for kids to keep up with. So it's like they admitted it wasn't working anfd that make a mistake with that. That being said, it sound like some adults were having the same problems that kids were having with it. Too many characters. As far as being cool and hip, well, Sesame Street has always been that way despite having a soft sode to them, too.
Yes, I agree, and by the way, I'm actually for it, not against it!:smile:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Actualy it wasn't beyond sesame Street because it was still on the same street. But I know aht you mean, thought.
Yes, it seemed as a kid I actually thought it was the whole neighborhood! It seemed so big!:crazy:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Was Zoe an "Around the Corner" charcther? I forgot.