Should the Muppets retire?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There was once an interview with Jim henson where he said that as long as the fans want them, the Muppets would be around, and if people got tired of them, he would have retired them. I am not sure if the Jim Henson Company (or Disney) thinks the same way as Jim Henson did, but with fans like us, i don't think the muppets will retire anytime soon.

unclematt

Reaction score
Frogster, I know many people have told you how they feel but I just need to get this off my chest. I hope seriously that Steve or Eric or any of the Muppeteers for that matter do not read this thread. I seriously think an apology is due. That was very disrespectful.

BEAR

Reaction score
unclematt said:
Frogster, I know many people have told ou how they feel but I just need to get this off my chest. I hope seriously that Steve or Eric or amy of the Muppeteers for that matter read this thread. I seriously thik an apology is due. That was very disrespectful.

Hear hear!!

balana

Reaction score
When someone creates something as new and innovative as Jim did with the Muppets, it would be hard for anybody to be able to match the level of creativity. The post Jim Henson muppets are indeed different from when he was involved, but that's to be expected. (To be fair, it wasn't just him that brought them all to life, and I'm not sure how much input other people had in their creation, but the Muppets always have been and always will be considered the creation of Jim Henson.)

I thought MCC and MTI still carried the spirit of the Muppets, but MTI came out in 1996. As has been pointed out, they've done very little worthwhile in the past 10 years or so. I wasn't all that impressed with MWoO myself, but they're definitely headed in the right direction. I think they showed with MCC and MTI that even without Jim, the magic of the Muppets can still be captured. It's mostly just a matter of finding it and tapping into it again.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
balana said:
When someone creates something as new and innovative as Jim did with the Muppets, it would be hard for anybody to be able to match the level of creativity. The post Jim Henson muppets are indeed different from when he was involved, but that's to be expected.
I think that most of the muppets that were created for the jim henson hour are a bit different. They were very cool-looking. It's a shame they weren't used more since then.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Muppets retire?..........I don't know, maybe, maybe not. I didn't enjoy the Muppet wizard of Oz movie and thought it was horrible. I think, given the right writers, the Muppets can make magic again. I liked them in the christmas movie back in 2002 and it seemed like the characters were back to who they were. Then the Oz movie premired and it seemed like the muppets went south again.

Like I said before, given good writers, the Muppets could be good as gold as they were back in the 70s and 80s.

ryan

That Announcer

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
Like I said before, given good writers, the Muppets could be good as gold as they were back in the 70s and 80s.

ryan
Well, as I've said before, the Muppets are more active now than they've been in about 15 years (a recalculated figure) and if this keeps up, we're in for a lot of good times.

PS: You want my personal opinion? With the possible exception of Labyrinth and GMC, The Muppets stank in the '80s and ruled the world in the '70s.

dpurves

Reaction score
No way should the Muppets retire. Ever. I haven't necessarily enjoyed all of their recent efforts, and I'm one of those people who longs for "the good old days" which will never come back, but I still want my Muppets.

Really, as much as we may complain about voices, personalities, scripts, etc., do any of us really want to go the rest of our lives and never see these characters again in anything new? I sure don't.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
Well, as I've said before, the Muppets are more active now than they've been in about 15 years (a recalculated figure) and if this keeps up, we're in for a lot of good times.
They're active yes, but that doesn't mean they're that good, at least not yet anyway. The Muppets, the performers, and everybody else who is involved with the Muppets have a very long way to go before the Muppets are back up in par with how they were 20 or 30 years ago. I can look at any episode of the Muppet show and say "that's the Muppets, and that's how they should be." I can look at them now with their current Oz movie and say "they're no where near what they were when they had the Muppet Show."

Just a matter of opinion. But of course, if we all had the same opinion, life would be boring!

ryan

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Should the Muppets retire? to quote a certain sesame street song, "The Word Is No!" :grouchy: