1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by dwayne1115, Feb 6, 2012.

?

Should we have the Muppet Central Awards this year?

1. Yes

73.5%
  2. No

26.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.

1. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I was wondering the same thing.
  2. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

If i give my 2 cents the awards were fun but really really long...if i remember instead of one night it took 3 days...i think if it where to happen again we need a major overhaul of how its presented...plan it out better beforehand so if something does happen unexpected it can be dealt with...i think one thing i disliked where the gaps in time given to give people time for a "speech"...while nice it took alot of time since a few who won were not there if it was me announce the awards between different posts..have fun videos and "commercials" but plan out what goes where and when...if a member wants to give a speech they will give it...but in a way since this isnt "Live" they can post whenever they want instead of at a certain time

basically long rant short explained...is if the awards continue we need a committee...a group of members dedicated to putting this stuff together....sorta like my school did ..we would sit 6 months before hand pick category's and figure out the basics..,4 months in begin publicly announcing awards giving people a chance to submit work(video school)..2 months in remind those and set a date and begin the voting process and any intro videos started...so that we knew what was happening night of.
  3. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I agree, the drawn-out ceremony was a drag. Perhaps it shouldn't be done in real-time. Post the awards ceremony, then let people react, post speeches, etc. as replies to that thread.
    miss kermie and newsmanfan like this.
  4. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of the ideas here. There does need better execution in the awards, that is, if we do it. A committee would be good for that. But time is the biggest thing. We shouldn't have to wait hours for a speech or someone to show up. I loved last years awards except for the 3-day time span. So, just some input...

And as for the talent show, the idea sounds really good but I don't really see what we could do except for showcasing the members' puppetry.

But I do love the idea for an award show just on the Muppets themselves. Like "Best Movie/Production", "Best Song", or "Best Viral Video of the Muppets Singing a Song by Queen". (BTW, I think I know what'd that last award.) But no matter what idea we do, we still need better execution and timing.
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

To be fair (and to educate the relatively newer members), there usually is a "committee" of sorts who handle the awards... I forget why there wasn't last year, but usually, the awards are executed by Prawnie, Lisa, Beau, and Ed, with Dave designing the awards, then they usually either "hire" someone to "host" the ceremony, or one of them will present the awards themselves.

And I've noticed there's a few complaints about timing and all... well, that may have been an issue last year or so, but again, USUALLY, in the old days, when there was more organization, the awards were so fast-paced, that there was very little time for speeches, commentary, etc, because awards were being presented every few moments or so... lot of ziffeling, lot of delays in reading responses, lot of overlooked/missed posts... maybe that's why it was slow last year, to prevent that from happening, I don't know, but again, I'm just sort of defending those who did work together in the old days to put the ceremony together, and kept it moving at a steady (though incredibly fast) pace.
    Beakerfan and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  6. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Active Member

I prefer the idea of a talent show. I feel that there are a lot of people who may be more apt to participate in something like that - last year, I felt a lot of the awards just went to the most popular members or the people who posted the most, which is to be expected in an awards ceremony based on posts. I think more people (especially those who don't post all the time) would participate if they felt they actually had a chance at being recognized for something.
  7. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

It doesn't have to be just vids of people and their puppets. A talent show can also be something like "a Fozzie sketch in haiku" or "awesome Muppet editing" or something. Perhaps a showcase of all those hundreds of threads about stuff people are bragging about (pictures, music, etc), but in one grand finale piece?
  8. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

it being an award show someone will always feel hurt or not appreciated its just the nature of the beast..i wont lie and say i havent felt it myself but it happens..i dont think that should be the reason not to have them....also i based my main post on last year...since it was the first year i was nominated and really participated
  9. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

True. If you arent nominated for anything you just gotta bite the bullet. I've never been nominated for anything and I'm not bitter about it. The problem is that last year there was a total lack of interest and it took too long for everything
  10. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Wow some great input I think we could do a combo of things. Last year was my first year as host, and I was partly dragging things out because I had someone that was going to help co host and drooped out at the last second.
    This year we could surly do something with a better format and Organized. I would like the honer of hosting again, but would love a co host as well.
    I think if we combine the taken show and awards people would not get left out people could be a part of the talent show even if they have not been nominated.
    I would also like to shorten the Ballot a bit since it was kind of hard for some people to fill out a full ballot.
    We have a lot of great ideas and I really think we could make something really different this year.
  11. Slackbot

One thing that I think would help the voting process is, when the ballots are posted, link to the items nominated! Make it easy for people to click and see why something may be worthy of attention rather than expecting them to hunt for it themselves. This, I think, would encourage more people to vote, or at least not discourage them.

How many people actually searched out the needle-in-a-haystack nominees for "Best Post"? Not me.
    beakerboy12, Beakerfan and newsmanfan like this.
  12. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

What would the awards be?
    Best Post?
    Most Likes?
    Highest Poster?
  13. Sgt Floyd

:rolleyes:
  14. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Again, to further educate the new(er) members, there were several different categories that applied to a variety of different specifications, not just members... but, just to give you an idea, here are just some of the categories that we usually have each year (I'm not naming all, just those off the top of my head):

Funniest Member
    Silliest Member
    Nicest Member
    Sweetest Member
    Prominant Member (whoever seems to post the most during the year)
    Most Under-rated Member (yes, we've actually had that category before)
    Biggest Muffiner
    Biggest Ziffeler
    Biggest Thread Killer (especially back in the T*K*O days)
    Biggest Classic Muppets Fan
    Biggest Sesame Street Fan
    Biggest Fraggle Rock Fan
    Best Thread
    Best Fanfiction Writer (we also had best writer for back in the days when MC had original webseries like The Moppet Family, T*K*O, No Day But Today, etc)
    Best Fanfic
    Best Fan Artist

Just to name a few.

I don't believe we've ever had a catgeory for just one specific post,that would be rather impractical to do, but there have been best thread categories before.

We also would have a "Lifetime Achievement Award" for whoever seemed to have the most significant impact on the MC community that year (though, I'm pretty sure that award was given to Phil repeatedly a number of years).
  15. Sgt Floyd

I still think we should skip the nomination process completely and just tally the number of votes for each person. I feel like knowing who was nominated causes more hard feelings than it needs to.
  16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

The lifetime Award did go to Phil and it also went to Jerry Nelson, and last year we gave the award to Ryan (thprawncraker) So it has changed over the years.
  17. Slackbot

For the record, here is the list of categories from last year's ballot:

Funniest Forum Member of 2010
    Most Prominent Forum Member of 2010
    Most Underrated Forum Member of 2010
    Most Creative Current Signature
    Outstanding Thread of 2010
    Outstanding Post of 2010
    Craziest Member of 2010
    Most Thoughtful Member of 2010
    Outstanding Reporter of Muppet News in 2010
    Biggest Muffin Purveyor of 2010
    Most Informative Member of 2010
    Outstanding New Member of 2010
    Biggest Supporter of The Muppets in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Sesame Street in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Fraggle Rock in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Jim Henson's Fantasy Worlds in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of The Jim Henson Company in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Muppet Merchandise in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Sesame Street Merchandise in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of the Muppeteers in 2010
    Most Enthusiastic Forum Member of 2010

Outstanding Fan Artist of 2010
    Outstanding Fan Art of 2010 (Not on ballot because only one item was nominated; award was given)
    Outstanding Fan-Fiction Written in 2010
    Outstanding Fan-Fiction Writer of 2010
    Outstanding Forum Puppeteer of 2010
    Outstanding Forum Puppet Builder of 2010
    Most Informative Puppetry Instruction of 2010
    Most Dedicated Muppet Fan of 2010
    The Muppet Central Forum Lifetime Achievement Award
  18. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

As award shows on TV (I think, as I haven't watched one in forever) have awards and musical numbers or whatever, perhaps "lag time" could be filled with the talent show idea?

"Here's an award. Here's an award. Here's an award. Now, a ditty from some member ... with link posted."

"Here are some more awards. Now so-and-so will recite a lovely passage from the winning fanfic."

"Here are some awards. And before we wrap up, here are some vids people have done for Muppet love. They are AMVs or edited mashups or whatnot. Heck, some people even inserted their whatnot over Walter's face to give their own inspirational speech in that one scene from the movie."

"Thank you and good night. See you again next year!"

If people have their "shows" done beforehand, we wouldn't have to wait long for them to be up so they can fit nicely between award segments.
  19. Slackbot

I like this idea. As long as the "show" keeps moving, these little bits might add some welcome spice to the event.
  20. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I think we might as well give this another try. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.