Show of hands, please.

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
Raise your hand if you miss seeing Sesame Street Old School/Unpaved/Elmo-free/etc. on regular broadcast TV. I have videotapes on Unpaved from Noggin and both Vols 1 & 2 of Old School, but they can get repetitive after a while. The classic clips pop up on YouTube all the time, but they take forever to load. I keep wishing full episodes would show up on MeTV, or they'd invent a "PBS Classic" channel. Thanks for reading.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Raise your hand if you miss seeing Sesame Street Old School/Unpaved/Elmo-free/etc. on regular broadcast TV. I have videotapes on Unpaved from Noggin and both Vols 1 & 2 of Old School, but they can get repetitive after a while. The classic clips pop up on YouTube all the time, but they take forever to load. I keep wishing full episodes would show up on MeTV, or they'd invent a "PBS Classic" channel. Thanks for reading.

I wish PBS Sprout would air a "Retro" block after the last run of the Good Night Show; who the heck is watching with their kids at 3 am, or can't find Barney/Elmo's World-era Sesame Street at some hour that doesn't require overnight recording? PBS and Sesame Workshop are both missing a golden opportunity here; I see a lot of YouTube comments from Gen-X parents and grandparents who say "I wish I could show the kids how much fun Sesame Street used to be!"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
::raising hand:: Right here! ; D

It's a travesty that quality children's television is kept hidden for the crime of being "too old."

dwmckim

Reaction score
For me, it's not even a question of being "Elmo-free" (Elmo was actually a really great fun character who was a delight to watch during the 80's/early 90's) but just being able to see arguably the best of Sesame Street - what i think of as their "golden era" when everything just worked together and the chemistry between the cast (humans and Muppets) was just magicaly. So many episodes out there that haven't been seen since the year they originally aired that should be "let out to play" again.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wish PBS Sprout would air a "Retro" block after the last run of the Good Night Show; who the heck is watching with their kids at 3 am, or can't find Barney/Elmo's World-era Sesame Street at some hour that doesn't require overnight recording? PBS and Sesame Workshop are both missing a golden opportunity here; I see a lot of YouTube comments from Gen-X parents and grandparents who say "I wish I could show the kids how much fun Sesame Street used to be!"

Gah! I wish you said 4 Am... then I could say they lost control of their life. (Internet meme/Rugrats joke).

Other than the odd 3 am baby feedings, WHY the heck would you put that crap late at night? Anyone (stuck with digital conversion broadcast) ever hear of qubo? They used to run all the same programming (especially the preschool stuff) all day until all hours of the night. This year, they actually started a late night block for old cartoon fans, and put on 4 hours of back to back Filmation 1980's cartoons starting at Midnight. I occasionally will catch a He-Man and chuckle at it... I dunno how it's doing exactly, but you basically take a kid's channel, put on something for older cartoon fans at night ala adult swim, and you got a whole new audience.

late night Sprout would be an ESSENTIAL place to put on classic 70's and 80's kid's shows, instead of incessant reruns of stuff from earlier in the day. We're not getting any old School Sesame Street DVD sets any time soon, they don't have the capacity to put older episodes en masse online, that would be an ideal place for old Sesame Streets, Electric Companines, Zooms, and whatever else.

As for me, I get digital channel PBS Kids, and after 6, they stop airing kids programming and start up odd stuff like Antiques Roadshow and In the Artists Den, presumably for teenagers... really, Antiques Roadshow? I understand History Detectives, Sherlock, and Artist's Den, but Antiques ROADSHOW? What are you on to think anyone under the age of 60 likes that? Don't see why Sprout has Barney that late/early if PBS Kid's Digital's programmers think that anyone under the age of 13 goes to bed past 5 in the afternoon.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I'd love to see some of the complete old Sesame Street episodes because unfortunately, my local cable company had gotten Noggin AFTER the Unpaved shows were aired on their regular schedule. I had a former email friend at the time at least tape the TV special they did on the history of Sesame, but other than that, I have NOTHING from those airings. So I would personally love to see classic Sesame on T.V. again someplace.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lol, I remember that, awesome! :insatiable:
Yeah, it's this big internet meme now. If you look up "Stu" and "Chocolate Pudding at 4Am" on Youtube you'll get a billion videos. That's what my life is now. I think completely in internet memes. But you know what they say, All Weegees toast Dr. Robotnik.

I'd love to see some of the complete old Sesame Street episodes because unfortunately, my local cable company had gotten Noggin AFTER the Unpaved shows were aired on their regular schedule. I had a former email friend at the time at least tape the TV special they did on the history of Sesame, but other than that, I have NOTHING from those airings. So I would personally love to see classic Sesame on T.V. again someplace.
I always say this... there's thousands of cable networks out there, and by logic, every show ever made should be on them with enough room for everything new. Logically. Now, there's just so many channels that run wall to wall nonsense, and all these channels that no one watches. I'm not even talking big name channels... local cable networks have these odd extra channels that run wall to wall nothing. I'd say there's probably some rights issues that have to be dealt with older SS episodes (Celebrity and music rights I guess) but it's a very important program in the history of television and they really need to let the old episodes out of the vault, if nothing else, for historical reasons.

If they indeed have every episode digitally archived, there should be no problem, even if they have to make re-edits for some reason. But there's just no where to put it unless PBS Sprout decided on a late night classics line up instead of reruns from earlier in the day no one is going to watch.

Really, not just Sesame Street, but classic Mr. Rogers, Electric Company, even more recent stuff like Square One Math and Reading Rainbow... heck, Shining Time Station with the GOOD episodes of Thomas. They're all begging to be seen. Even if they go on demand or something.

Sesame Skates

Reaction score
Got some pretty good responses to this thread so far. Thanks and keep 'em coming! :wisdom:

Sesamo2012

Reaction score
Hey May i be part of this goal, i wish they would get the deal to replay the times again to see old Sesame street before it becomes history Hence the line from the muppet movie" you want them Live or Stuffed" but i support you all the way. since living in Chicago i have asked the people at the station to see if they have any old sesame street that they had from thier pervious teleathon, but once again good luck to you.