Sketches and Songs on Sesame Street videos

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I love that alphabet link you posted too- but I haven't seen it on any of the Sesame Street videos or DVDs I've seen so far. Still, it may be on one I haven't come across yet.

Count
Ernie (& Bert)
Grover
Little Bird
Sherlock
Guy
Vincent Twice Vincent Twice
Alphabet Chat
Monsterpiece Theatre
Forgetful
Gladys
Hmm- you've already got "The Best of Kermit"- which is one of my favorites because I love Kermit on Sesame Street!:smile:

If you want Ernie and Bert- then I'd definitely go with "The Best of Bert and Ernie"- there's lots of classic sketches on that one.
Grover has a video dedicated to him called "A Celebration of Me: Grover" and it's pretty good.
Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen any Alphabet Chat or Vincent Twice Vincent Twice segments show up on any videos.
Little Bird and Sherlock Hemlock... haven't seen much of them on the videos either.
For Guy Smiley... well, he shows up in the "Six Cookies" song with Cookie Monster and Farley on the "Learning to Add and Subtract" video- and "Big Bird's Favorite Party Games" also has Guy hosting The Remembering Game.
If you want a lot of The Count, "Elmo Says Boo" is actually pretty good for that- but I'd also try "Learning About Numbers"- he's definitely in there a good bit too
"Getting Ready for School" also features The Count's first day of school song, and the alphabet live action film where kids stand together to form the alphabet.

Also, if you love Kermit on Sesame Street- I would highly recommend "Big Bird's Story Time" as it has a great selection of classic News Flashes AND even features Kermit in the new material!!! "I'm Glad I'm Me" is another excellent video with at least 3 Kermit appearances- Kermit also shows up at least 3 times in the "What's the Name of that Song?" video and shows up a few times in "Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game" (which also has some good stuff)

But it all depends on what specifically you're looking for- some of the really classic clips are spread out on the VHS and DVD releases- you might have to get a video for just one sketch you want on there- 'cause that might be the only place it's been released. But all Sesame Street is cool anyway!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
Also, if you love Kermit on Sesame Street- I would highly recommend "Big Bird's Story Time" as it has a great selection of classic News Flashes AND even features Kermit in the new material!!! "I'm Glad I'm Me" is another excellent video with at least 3 Kermit appearances- Kermit also shows up at least 3 times in the "What's the Name of that Song?" video and shows up a few times in "Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game" (which also has some good stuff)
Kermit only appears twice in What's the Name of That Song?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Here are what Sesame Street videos/ DVDs I recommend if you want to see some segments from the 1980s or earlier. I will also put the number of sketches that are included on the Old School set beside the titles.

Learning About Letters -2
Learning About Numbers -4
Getting Ready to Read -2
Count it Higher: Great Music Videos from Sesame Street -0 (but most are from the 1980s)
Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game -1 (most are from the 1980s)
Big Bird's Story Time -1
Bedtime Stories and Songs -1
Rock & Roll -0
Monster Hits! -1
Play-Along Games and Songs -2
A Celebration of Me, Grover! -2
The Alphabet Game -1
Learning to Add and Subtract -0
Sing Yourself Silly -1
Put Down the Duckie -0 (pretty much all from the 1980s)

Elmo's Sing-Along Guessing Game has the most Elmo in it, while Elmo has major supporting roles in Monster Hits!, Play-Along Games and Songs, and A Celebration of Me, Grover!, only has cameos in Put Down the Duckie, Sing Yourself Silly, and Learning to Add and Subtract, and only makes non-speaking background appearances in Count it Higher and Rock & Roll.

Monsterpiece Theater segments appear in Put Down the Duckie and A Celebration of Me, Grover! However, the Monsterpiece Theater segment in A Celebraation of Me, Grover! is edited to remove Allistar Cookie's scenes (but Cookie Monster still introduces the clip).

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Very interesting...thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I'll have to narrow it down to see where I wanna start! :smile:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
I went to my DVD Aficionado account and selected a lot of classic-looking SS DVDs to wish my list, including several you guys mentioned. Thanks. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought I would bump this thread up, so that it doesn't get lost. There are still quite a few videos that haven't been reviewed yet.

ffolke

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Here is what songs appear on Rock & Roll and Count it Higher.

Rock & Roll

release year: 1990

plot: a D.J., Jackman Wolf, hosts a rock and roll request show. He gets a request from Gina for Little Jerry and The Monotones, who are supposed to perform a song live from the phone, but they can't get through to the station, and sing to the operator, who has a police officer arrest them. Since Jackman Wolf can't get ahold of them, he asks for Gina to request her second favorite group, which is Chrissy and The Alphabeats, but she can't decide on whether she wants tp hear You're Alive or Rock 'N Roll Reader, so Jackman Wolf plays both songs. Bert calls and requests It's Hip To Be a Square (and wants it dedicated to his paperclip collection). The Count and one of the countesses (i don't know which one it is) can't agree on whether to request a song abou the number nien or forty (the count wants nine, countess wants 40, then they change their minds because the other one wants the other song) so they get to hear songs for both numbers. Finally, as the show ends, the police take Little jerry and The Monotones (still in the phone booth and singign) to the studio, and they sing throughout the credits.

songs:
Monster In The Mirror (with grover, non-celebrity version)
Telephone Rock (with Little jerry and The Monotones, introduction cut, Little jerrys acknowledgement of being carried by the police cut, only song not to feature song title and singer names on-screen)
You're Alive (with Chrissy and The Alphabeats)
Rock 'N Roll Reader (with Chrissy and The Alphabeats, opening scene cut)
It's Hip To Be a square (with the four sides)
Count Up To Nine (with the count and his royal transylvanians)
Forty Blocks From My Home (with Farley, but a different farely from the green boy, although this one is also performed by Jerry Nelson, features a cameo by Kermit and The Count)
(I Can't Get No) Co-Operation (with the Cobble Stones)
Hand Talk (with the kids)
The Word Is No (with Gina and Maria)

Nitpicks:
*When Bert makes his request, Ernie is seen with him, but he obviously doesn't talk. Either this was made after Jim Henson died, or Jim Henson wasn't available for taping. Either way, Ernies appearance is unneccessary.
*Variosu Sesame Street videos can be seen in the background (among them Count It Higher, Sing Yourself Silly, and I want To Go Home)

Count It Higher: Great Music Videos from Sesame Street

release year: 1988

plot: The Count hosts The Counts Countdown Show, on SMV (Sesame Music Videos). He has a top 7 countdown, with a bonus music video (Honk Around The Clock). The show also features celebrity promos, featuring Big Bird (who wants some Rock and Roll) and Oscar (who requests a moldy oldie). Finally, the Count introduces the number one song, which is always number one because that is his favorite song.

Songs:
The ten commandments of health (with Dr. Thad and the medications)
Do Op Hop (with Kermit)
Z Z Blues (with Over The Top)
Honk Around The Clock (with The Honkers)
Letter B (with The Beetles)
Wet Paint (with How Now Brown Cow and The Moo Wave)
Do De Rubber Duck (with Ernie and friends)
Count It Higher (with Chris and the Alphabeats)

nitpicks:
*on the back of the packaging of the Sony Wonder release, Letter B is listed as Letter B Song, and although the packaging refers to the song as Do Op Hop, in the music video credit that appears on-screen, it is written as Do Wop Hop.
I have both of these, and since they are music oriented I recorded the audio from my VHS to mp3. You can download these at http://liquidparallax.com/2007/01/27/sesame-street-song-downloads/

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Okay, I just finally got a chance to watch "Sesame Street Home Video Visits the Hospital" - a 1990 video with a run time of about 30 minutes. This has been reviewed on here before, so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail. I just wanted to point out a few neat things I liked about it.
It is nice to see characters like Mike and Mr. MacIntosh on the video, who along with Susan, Oscar and Cookie Monster all visit Big Bird at the hospital and Susan brings Radar for him. And later when Big Bird comes home, he's welcomed by Gina, Gordon and Luis- and then he plays with Elmo and Snuffy. So it had a good mix of characters and included 2 original songs- "It Takes Patience to be a Patient" and "I'm Busy Getting Better All the Time".
Oh yeah- and Hoots came to visit Big Bird at night and played him a lullaby on the saxophone.
Interesting to note that when Big Bird rides on the wheeling bed it's the only time I remember ever seeing the bottom of his feet, and they're apparently a shade of gray.
Also, I love the scene where Maria is checking Big Bird into the hospital. She gives the nurse her full name, Maria Rodriguez- one of the few times I've heard her full time on the show. And I love it when they ask if she's Big Bird's mother and at first she says, "No"...but then hesitates as she tries to explain what relationship they have- and finally just relents to say that she's his mother. I thought that was great- because Maria essentially does fulfill the role of mother to Big Bird. It's kinda funny that most all the other Muppets on the show have a mother and father but the most we've seen for Big Bird is his Granny Bird. So pretty much all the humans on Big Bird take care of him and really are his family. (A point explored further in the "Follow That Bird" movie).
Anyway, this was a fun and educational video to watch. As far as I know, it's the only other one in "Sesame Street Home Video Visits...." series. (The other one is the "Firehouse" video.)
:smile: