SNL or Mad TV?

superfan

Reaction score
Docnzhoss said:
I like both shows, but I definitely like SNL better. They just lost the best performer of the current group (Jimmy Fallon) but their female performers seem to be stepping up just fine.

Mad TV can really be hilarious, but it's hit and miss.
I completely agree! I saw the Best of Jimmy Fallon episode a couple weeks back...he's a great little performer (too bad about "Taxi").
The best is when he and Horatio Sanz would do a skit together and they couldn't keep a straight face. Reminds me of Drama class and Theatre Sports in High School. Just having pure fun.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
Exactly, superfan. Hopefully that Farrelly Bro's movie about the Red Sox will do OK for him. I saw that best of Jimmy Fallon episode, but was disappointed that they didn't include his Shaggy and Scooby sketch. That was what originally made me notice JF and his talents, he made a really good Shaggy. I have his CD "The Bathroom Wall" and it is really hilarious. The celebrity ads for Troll dolls is classic (Jerry Seinfeld: "NO PANTS!")

Frogster

Reaction score
SNL ALL THE WAY! The only thing I like as much as the Muppets and Fraggle Rock is SNL. I started watching it when I was eight, and at least once a month since, if not every week, I see it. I'm a huge, and I mean HUGE fan of Dan Akroyd, John Belushi, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, David Spade, Norm McDonald, Cheri O'teri, Molly Shannon, Ana Gesteyer, Will Ferrell, and Darrell Hammond. I was blessed in seeing Darrell perform at the K-State Union last year, and he even took questions from the audience. Of course, they were all questions, like "Do this voice" and "Do that voice." I asked him to do Richard Dreyfuss and John Travolta. He's the greatest! I do admit, however, I don't really care for Jimmy Fallon. To me, he just seemed as if he was on the show for his looks, and I only found him slightly funny when he laughed on accident or when he was on "Update." Also, I don't really care for Fred Armisen, Finesse Mitchell, and even Tracy Morgan got on my nerves sometimes. I've seen them better, but that doesn't mean they won't get better someday again.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Honestly, I can't say I've ever watched either of them. Today's comedy is often times just a bit too-what's the best way to put it?- naughty for my taste. I prefer old comedy. Like Bob Hope and the Three Stooges.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I agree a lot of comedy these days is way too raunchy. I like Garrison Keillor. And Dave Barry is a lot of fun.
Erin

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Saturday Night Live a great indepth funny, witty satire, parody, and humor. Their jokes are great for a more sofisticated audiance than MadTV. MadTV is wacky, stupid and gross characters in diffrent situations and perfectly superficial impressions. Although MadTV is a group of tallented individuals, their style of comedy is more media parody and low-brow for me; I like more satire and social/political commentary in the skits too, SNL gives me that. I also feel the SNL cast is a bit better at writting and acting too. But that's just me. I know tons of people who love Mad, I watch Mad from time to time, and I respect people who like that...It's just not my thing. I've never missed an SNL episode since the season primire in 1995 (and in reruns have seen most of the ones before that from the 90's, 80's, and 70's)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Classic SNL.... after Farley passed and Sandler left.... boooooring. The cartoons are nice, though... but performers like Chris Kataan and Jimmy Fallon.... I just don't think they're too funny. And that Mary Cathrine Gallager stuff..... is that supposed to be funny? I just don't get it.

I have found the best of Steve Martin on DVD, and I really want Hartman, Murphy, and Myers and Carvey as well... but I wish they'd have more things like Best of Belushi, Aykroid, Murray, Curtain, Radner, and .... as long as I can hope, Land of Gorch....

MadTV is alright, but not funny as of late....

McFraggle

Reaction score
I'm surprised they haven't come out with more of the Best of's for the older (70's / 80's) performers.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
SNL hands down. Mad TV is getting canceled. They say it's because the shows rating do not justify the budget. But the show has always looked cheap to me.