Snoop Doggy Dog (The Degenerate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty E.

Reaction score
Shows typically fall into a catagory. Which catagory do you think the Company selects, as appropriate for their material?

 TV-Y, material suitable for children of all ages. Show contains little or no violence, strong language or sexual content.

 TV-Y7, material suitable for children 7 and older.

 TV-G, material suitable for all audiences.

 TV-PG, parental guidance is suggested. Program may contain infrequent coarse language, limited violence, some suggestive sexual dialogue and situations.

 TV-14, material may be inappropriate for children under 14. Program may contain sophisticated themes, strong language and sexual content.

 TV-M, for mature audiences only. Program may contain profane language, graphic violence and explicit sexual content.

Patty E.
:cool:

beaker

Reaction score
I think I figured it out...Patty E works for some independent television watchdog group with a peculair agenda for targetting puppet shows!

I found her site, it's www.puppetwatch.org

Patty E.

Reaction score
Beaker, you have a terrific imagination, although you are wrong.

Patty

grail

Reaction score
even though i think Cory's a cool guy, we've had...differences in the past. so i am THRILLED to be able to say that on this point, we are absolutely, positively, 100% on the same page. it IS largly environment that causes these problems. and i want to thank AruggeRadio for posting those lyrics, i'm not a fan of rap, i never have been...but there is (mostly) a good point hidden among the cursing.

btw...Patty, if one wants to change their image, where would YOU suggest he does so, if not with the Muppets. or are you the same type of person who believes that you have to have experience for a starting level position. everyone has to start somewhere. the Muppets are high profile, and Henson has always been open-minded and tolerant, and willing to give people second, third, fourth, and so on chances...can you think of a BETTER place for someone to try and turn their image around?

oh, and sid. stop bashing Skeeter. the "are you high" comment was rude and out of line, and she called you on it. there was no good reason for that comment in the first place, and i personally feel that you owe AruggeRadio an apology for making a serious, and very insulting accusation. then you owe Skeeter one for bashing her when she pointed out the insult for what it was. that was just ridiculous, and there's no excuse for it.

oh, and Cory...funeeee

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
What is all this stuff? oh well, i don't care...i don't even know what is means...

Zack) Rowlf the, good greef the comideans a bear! Dog.

Patty E.

Reaction score
If Henson was planning to produce a ( M-Mature rating) Christmas Special, then having a cameo appearance by a Rapper would not be an issue. It's just a bit unclear what direction they are planning on taking the company.

Patty

Cantus' Ghost

Reaction score
Originally posted by Patty E.
To: AruggeRadio
Dogg's work- poetry? How could anyone be enamored by his filth. It aims to vulgarize young minds. It is "peddling filth for profit."

http://www.ohhla.com/anonymous/snoopdog/lastmeal/snp_dogg.snp.txt

Patty E.

The lyrics in the link come off as more childish than poisonous. Childishness isn't necessarily symptomatic of deviants, degenrates, etc. The pot innuendo I don't mind because I have nothing against 'the Devil's vile weed.' The sexual content is no different from 'locker room banter.' The swears don't bother me because I live in a profane (yet gratifying) environment. The 'violent' innuendo is indicative of inner-city life and seems to be more honest than anything else. This is how life is for many in the inner-city.

But let's not discount the issue of race. Nobody says anything when the Dixie Chicks sang about murder ('Goodbye, Earl') or when Garth Brooks- in typical, gimmicky, derivative fashion, no less- sang about drinking ('Friends in Low Places,' 'Two Pina Coladas'). White people are so cute when they sing about murder or illicit substances. Aren't they?

People take lyrics too literally, as was the case with Wal-Mart's interpretation of Nirvana's brilliant song, "Rape Me."

Creepy, wealthy, white politicians and their wives are often the first to blast musicians for their lyrics. Too bad they're outsiders. They can only judge the lyrics from their own perspectives and ommit the context the lyrics were put in, any possible subtext, symbolism, etc. Too, too bad...

If peolpe want to blast the artists for their lyrics, they had better have their facts straight, instead of using the assumed consequences of letting an artist say what he wants as an argument.

That is all. Later!

beaker

Reaction score
I think it is healthy as mature people to be able to discuss matters of race, appropriateness, etc without a sense of being 'Un PC'

>>>White people are so cute when they sing about murder or illicit substances. Aren't they?<<<

Well, it is alarming how well recepted in suburban communities(not by parents, but by kids) Eminem is. A new film of his called '8 mile' illustrates though, there are real division lines both in actuality and socially.

>>>Creepy, wealthy, white politicians and their wives are often the first to blast musicians for their lyrics. Too bad they're outsiders.
If peolpe want to blast the artists for their lyrics, they had better have their facts straight, instead of using the assumed consequences of letting an artist say what he wants as an argument.<<<

Exactly. First off, there is a fine line we are talking about. An artist breaking free of a harsh life and upbringing by making it as a rap artist? Or just simply thugs glorifying a vile lifestyle in lyrics? I think its not as black and white as that.

Sure we all wish things were rosy, and everybody sang positive lyrics...but somethims extrapolation, and purging of feelings is a good form of medicine be it in a painting or song.

Yet I do feel there is a responsibility, not by the rappers themselves, but by media outlets like MTV, BET, etc.

As long as the more controversial stuff is put into the later at night, parental warning block theres no need to censor.

Whats appropriate for one age may not be for another. I never believed 'what may be appropriate for one family may not be for another' as quite a few families in this country have their head in the sand, making everything 'inapporpriate' to their kids.

I think a sense of balance is needed in all things, when they are considered. My opinion on the Snoop thing? I think it was just a lame cameo to begin with, not befitting of the Muppets in the first place. Though if the scenes cut effected anything, or had great chemistry, Im sure we'll all be miffed!

danielromens

Reaction score
why is it that patty and her follower seem to be oblivious to the fact that the muppet show was a device for henson and his crew of puppeteers to do a more mature and intelligent show. the reason many of the original guests were on the show was to appeal to adults. the show was excessable to everyone. even sesame street started out as a more edgy show, incorporating situations and people familiar with underprivilaged innercity children. Jesse Jackson was a speaker who sometimes outraged caucasian middle and southern americans yet he was on sesame street. Henson had many friends in the artworld. Andy Warhol a known drug user and experimenter in the counter culture was a fan and friend. David Bowie another edgy artist and musician. In a lot of ways Henson was counterculture.

yet, in their attempt to revive the muppets show and it's characters to another more mature and adult audience in a made for tvmovie in a more mature primetime timeslot , the henson company is being shut out by their own misunderstanding middle american adult fans because they think that the characters should be made to pander to kids. I imagine these are the same parents who are angered by mature reference in shrek, monsters inc. and other incinuting fare. lighten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.