So Have We Seen the End of 2-D Animation?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Teheheman said:
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co plans to bring back hand-drawn animated films at its Feature Animation studio, a Disney-Pixar executive told investors on Thursday.
"At Disney (Feature Animation) we will be making 3D films, we will be bringing back hand-drawn (two-dimensional) films," said Disney-Pixar President Ed Catmull.
I think that was one of the daels after they got Pixar... and because the only real solo success they had with their own CGI films was Chicken Little (which was a cute little film, actually).

Besides now that they own Pixar, what's the sense in competing (and doing a lousy job at that) with them?

dontdoitagain

Reaction score
I dont think we'll have seen the end of it, people will eventually get bored of 3D and want to see 2d again....and the other types, claymation and stop motion and all that other stuff.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The Feb. 5 announcement that Robert Zemeckis will create a studio with Disney to produce animated motion capture movies like his mediocre Monster House and much better The Polar Express is potentially good news for better ideas for computer-animated motion pictures.

Though terms were not divulged, Mr. Zemeckis, whose live action directing credits include Back to the Future and Forrest Gump, will produce the performance capture technology-driven movies, which track actor movements for computers to generate three-dimensional animation, with partners Jack Rapke and Steve Starkey (they're currently creating Beowulf for Sony). With Disney's track record of putting likable characters in engaging stories, the partnership sounds like a good match.
Whadaya think?

Morgan Clueless

Reaction score
I don't know what to say, but I'd definitely have to agree. :smirk:

(Well, except with whoever said that Monster House was mediocre. But that's another story.)

~ Morgan C. Goat

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I like that John Lasseter like 2D animation. He said there would be no Pixar with out 2d. I here the design is actually looks good for this film.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
anytimepally said:
Well, it looks like 2-D Animation isn't dead after all...

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20070308/117340194000.html
Here's some more on that project.

"Directed by John Musker and Ron Clements, the film features the newest Disney Princess, Maddy, a young African- American girl living amid the charming elegance and grandeur of the fabled French Quarter. From the heart of Louisiana’s mystical bayous and the banks of the mighty Mississippi comes an unforgettable tale of love, enchantment and discovery with a soulful singing crocodile, voodoo spells and Cajun charm at every turn. During the shareholder presentation, preliminary drawings for Frog Princess were showcased, as well as one of the tunes Randy Newman has composed for the picture."

Color me psyched beyond words!