So Have We Seen the End of 2-D Animation?

crazed gonzo fa

Reaction score
I'm a huge of claymation myself and also hope to get a career with this. 2D does seem to be better than CGI, especially with this ridiculous CGI craze going on. I hope to be a film maker some day and I'd like to make some serious 2D animation films. (I also want to make sci-fi movies that aren't R-rated) By the way, congrats on making 4,000 posts Ilikemuppets!

Teheheman

Reaction score
Here's my opinion, CGI is really getting to be too much. Mostly because there every animated film is that way now. It was fine when it first came out. It was cool, but now it's getting too much. BUT, something like Family Guy and the Simpsons that use CGI and 2D, where they draw the stuff, then put it in computer for stuff like shading and to make things sharper is really cool. You can do more things with that than traditionally. But, movies like what Dreamworks and Pixar are doing, is getting to be too much. VIVA LA 2D!!!!!!!!!

Daniel

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
McFraggle said:
I've heard rumors that potentially Pixar would be releasing the CGI films and then the Disney brand would be used for traditional 2-D animation so that both brands owned by Disney wouldn't be essentially competing with each other. :smile:
I don't think that's a rumor, I'm pretty sure it's true.

I also really can't stand 3D animation anymore. It's faster and cheaper than 2D so studios just churn them out. Pixar aside, more than half of them aren't of any good quality in either the writing or the animation itself. Characters just start to look too boxy.

There definitely is a growing market for 2D animation, I have complete confidence in this. Disney's "Enchanted" will have the first 20 minutes in traditional 2D animation and if that's a hit Disney's going to give the go to a lot more 2D movies. Thank goodness.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I think it's interesting how there doing it, but I like it and have every cofidence it's going to work, too!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Teheheman said:
Here's my opinion, CGI is really getting to be too much. Mostly because there every animated film is that way now. It was fine when it first came out. It was cool, but now it's getting too much. BUT, something like Family Guy and the Simpsons that use CGI and 2D, where they draw the stuff, then put it in computer for stuff like shading and to make things sharper is really cool. You can do more things with that than traditionally. But, movies like what Dreamworks and Pixar are doing, is getting to be too much. VIVA LA 2D!!!!!!!!!

Daniel
I can agree... yet I think Pixar is a standalone company when iot comes to CGI. I mean, they really seem to be actually artistic about it, and not just all about the benjamins, like Dreamworks. I will say the quieter films like Madagascar and (especially) over the Hedge were their best work since Antz.

Funny thing... both Cars and Over the Hedge were movies that had anti-consumerist themes to them... yet Wal*Mart made ads with them in it...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
Funny thing... both Cars and Over the Hedge were movies that had anti-consumerist themes to them... yet Wal*Mart made ads with them in it...
The world is laden with hypocrisy. :stick_out_tongue:

I quite enjoyed Over the Hedge, just have to remember that the occasional corruption of the entertainment industry should not effect how you view a decent movie. :smile:

Teheheman

Reaction score
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co plans to bring back hand-drawn animated films at its Feature Animation studio, a Disney-Pixar executive told investors on Thursday.
"At Disney (Feature Animation) we will be making 3D films, we will be bringing back hand-drawn (two-dimensional) films," said Disney-Pixar President Ed Catmull.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070208/film_nm/disney_animation_dc

Daniel