So Have We Seen the End of 2-D Animation?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I dont mind the CGI animation, but I prefer 2D and stop motion (expecially if the stop motion directed by Tim Burton :wink:) And that "meet the Robinsons" movie, looks, eh...really...baaaaad. I saw the trailer when I went to see SC3, and I was like, what the heck? No, I dont think 3D will take over and whipe out 2D, not any time soon at least, but I can picture in a few hundred years people looking back and saying "Whats Cell Animation", or "They HAND DREW shows waaay back then?"

BEAR

Reaction score
Hmm... I thought Meet the Robinsons looked kinda interesting actually.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Actually, you know who's putting out the next major 2D animated fild of all people...Pixar, beacuse it's all about the story and the characters no matter what format you put it in. That should always com fist and formost, not just some over blown spectical or something.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
MGov said:
??????????

I thought the "glory days" were the 30's and 40's.

A lot of crap came out in the 50's and 60's.
Yeah the 'glory days' were probably the '30s and '40s when things started to really develop.

Though interestingly, in the 1960s, there was a movement in Television animation to get away from the perfect animation of Disney and purposely be more crude and simple. (Of course, that also had to do with their limited budgets!) Just an interesting bit of trivia I though I would share. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
MGov said:
??????????

I thought the "glory days" were the 30's and 40's.

A lot of crap came out in the 50's and 60's.

I can agree and disagree. A lot of crap came out in BOTH time periods. In the 50/60's it was all about simplification and the move towards television. Of course, when a lot of products are made, most of them will be crap, no question. 50's and 60's (and some extent the early to mid 90's) were the glory days of television animation.

With that said, the REAL crap load came out in the 70's, when Hanna Barbera made some of the worst cartoons of all time.

by far my favorite non-disney CGI film is "Over the Hedge" crude, but cute. But we need something new, and not just 3D animation...
I really think that was a real darling of a film. Social awareness wrapped up in a cuddly animal extravaganza. I really think Dreamworks did quite well with that one and Madagascar. Pixar is still my favorite studio. I liked Cars, but it will be my least favorite film they have made so far. Which is kinda a releif. I really did like Bug's Life, but that was at the bottom of the pile IMO...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
With that said, the REAL crap load came out in the 70's, when Hanna Barbera made some of the worst cartoons of all time.
I can agree with that, I loved watching VH1's 'I luv the '70s', but some of those cartoons...UGH

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been on a mission to stamp out the arbitrary love of those 70's cartoons that's been around since the 90's. I LOVED Fat Albert, no question. Hong Kong Phooey was fun too. But we had so many knockoffs of Archie and Scooby Doo (considering Scooby do was in it's earliest incarnation was an Archie Knockoff) and those pointless animated remakes of Sitcoms (The Barkleys, The Oddball Couple). I tend to think of it more as a great time for live action TV. I mean, Sesame Street and the Electric Company for kids, All in the Family and the Jeffersons for adults. The Cop shows were crap.

Anyway, I really think there should have been some message in there somewhere when all the Oscar nominations last year were for 2-D and Stop Motion films. I said it before, but Cureous George is a film I'd LOVE to see win the Oscar, if for nothing else, it humbles everyone for making so many CGI films this year.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Truelly the golden age was the mid-late 40's. With Bob Clampett, Tex Avery, Chuck Jones (his late 40's are the best in my opinion.)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Those guys were kings of animation, no question. I mean, the best cartoons of all time were from Looney Tunes, and MGM during the Tom and Jerry/Tex Avery phase.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I've been on a mission to stamp out the arbitrary love of those 70's cartoons that's been around since the 90's. I LOVED Fat Albert, no question. Hong Kong Phooey was fun too. But we had so many knockoffs of Archie and Scooby Doo (considering Scooby do was in it's earliest incarnation was an Archie Knockoff) and those pointless animated remakes of Sitcoms (The Barkleys, The Oddball Couple).
Me too, Fat Albert is awesome! I can't comprehend Hong Kong Phooey though. Some Scooby Doo was good, but only it's most straight forward incarnations, no new characters etc. And yeah, the sitcoms cartoons like Gilligan's Island, just an attempt to make some more money.

Anyone see the 1960's Beatles cartoons? They were so cute!