So I was thinking...

beaker

Reaction score
What is all this? This?

I sometimes wonder if I would have to go back to the beginning to restart things and get some perspective. Now when I say back to the beginning, I really mean back to the beginning. Not just some 5 year old reading Fraggle books at Waldens in the mall or playing Dig Dug at Chuck E Cheese on a dollar's worth of tokens. I mean really back to the beginning, past the paleozoic and primordial stages of evolution. To the dawn of the universe, a ever needling throw in the deep chasm of entropy...tearing into the fabric of time itelf like a riding crop of ones and zeroes. And maybe skip a few stages you know? Trying to get back to the innocence and wonder of the 80's, but really rising on the architectural backbone of life itself...through civilizations and early man. Maybe the hunter gatherer stage in the Tundra through the restoration era, and back to a simpler time in America...when things were just the roaming planes of wheat and rifles and dillapitated barns in the midwest. I'm like a black woman in Gerogia braiding my daughter's hair after a hot Summer in the 50's...or sipping tea with the great mariners of ports out of a Chaucer book....or wiating in the thralls of trumpeted emporiums from a Marcus Arrellius scribe.

And then we get to the eve of the millennium, but not the new millennium...the one that sucked in 1999 and everyone thought was gonna be the ****. I mean the one in 999AD, where Im like a young kid riding with the tribesman of the ghost plains in the serengetti. And then I meet a fellow named Long Beard in the 17th century...then flash forward to the 21st century in a West African Munigi refugeee camp...where UN relief workers stumble across the rambling mad scribllings of a 17 century Indonesian pirate who had gone mad from scurvey and disentary on the high seas.

Then back to 1987, where a middle aged house wife is competing against professional wrestlers at a Texas state Boggle Tournament. Then we flash forward to the eve of the new millennium on December 31st 1999. And Im like this employee at a upscape Manhattan Pottery barn...about to usher in the new year. And somewhere in there is a orchestra ensomble broken down on the outskirts of Barstow California, plastic farm animals in an oddity museum, and the fractal remnants of what was and is to be. Ack, but I forgot the part about roaming around in a Tunisian desert. And somehow Disneyland fits into this family outting gone awry...but by now Ive lost my trian of thought but its getting late.

And Im thinking about a simpler time in my life, in 1983 with a baptism of psychotropic strobe lights in a Southern California Chuck E Cheese.

beaker

Reaction score
heh...I think I need more sleep:wink:

Gonzo

Reaction score
You may be right.

:big_grin:

Weirdos.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
You may be right.

:big_grin:

Weirdos.
Yeah, perhaps staying up to 5am isnt exactly the best thing, lol.
I notice my posts on here start getting more out there the later the night goes on...til the point where Im just babbling incoherenly about early man, early 70's progressive rock albums, golden rubix cubes, and tumbleweeds in the mid west.

Luke

Reaction score
You're completely and utterly bonkers Cory - don't change !!!!

Maybe it's time for me to finally post daily installments of my autobiography 'What went wrong ....... ?". It's the friendly, funny tale of fast women and fast penguins, set in the slowpaced world of the biz we like to call show. All proceeds go to the 'Muppet Central' fund for penguin gratutity !

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Yeah, perhaps staying up to 5am isnt exactly the best thing, lol.
I notice my posts on here start getting more out there the later the night goes on...til the point where Im just babbling incoherenly about early man, early 70's progressive rock albums, golden rubix cubes, and tumbleweeds in the mid west.
that got a little to deep for my tastes....but hey, if you decided to go back in time, try to put some money in microsoft or yahoo or mcdonalds so you can be a rich man in the present time.....thats what i would do...

ryan

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
You're completely and utterly bonkers Cory - don't change !!!!

Maybe it's time for me to finally post daily installments of my autobiography 'What went wrong ....... ?". It's the friendly, funny tale of fast women and fast penguins, set in the slowpaced world of the biz we like to call show. All proceeds go to the 'Muppet Central' fund for penguin gratutity !
Thanks Luke! Well, you know I get inspired late at night!
Actually, Im just bonkers all the time.

And Im sure some of us would get a kick out of 'what went wrong?' The nefarious tale of bright lights, big cities, and big ....tea parties' :wink:

Originally posted by ryhoyarbie
that got a little to deep for my tastes....but hey, if you decided to go back in time, try to put some money in microsoft or yahoo or mcdonalds so you can be a rich man in the present time.....thats what i would do...
Sorry about that, sometimes my mind wanders, heh. Um if I were to go back in time I would probably wanna first make sure Christian Science never got founded, and that AIDS never came to America. Perhaps we wouldnt be in this 12 year old mess were in now.

radionate

Reaction score
Cory,

I'm meaning this in the nicest way possible, but what is the fascination with the 80's?

Think about what you just said:

Um if I were to go back in time I would probably wanna first make sure Christian Science never got founded, and that AIDS never came to America.

You do realize that your "loving 80's" was the boom of the HIV crisis. That the happy go lucky scientists and politicians of that time were trying to sweep it under rug, and ignore all facts and data.

Watch movies like "Wall Street" too. 90's greed started with 80's yuppies thirsty for wealth and power.

No decade is without good times/bad times, but I really got bugged by the last statement. The 80's was certainly not a time of pure joy.

(I'm stepping off my soapbox now)

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
Cory,

I'm meaning this in the nicest way possible, but what is the fascination with the 80's?

Think about what you just said:

You do realize that your "loving 80's" was the boom of the HIV crisis. That the happy go lucky scientists and politicians of that time were trying to sweep it under rug, and ignore all facts and data.

Watch movies like "Wall Street" too. 90's greed started with 80's yuppies thirsty for wealth and power.

No decade is without good times/bad times, but I really got bugged by the last statement. The 80's was certainly not a time of pure joy.

(I'm stepping off my soapbox now) [/B]
Actually I had a rather lengthy comment about this very contradictory self conflict on Tough Pigs...dont have the URL but I thought it was pretty well written.

Yes, indeed you are right. The 80's was a most darkened uncertain time when it came to the blooming AIDS crisis, greed, starvation in Africa, and conflicts and strife world wide. I am certainly not blind to that looking back, or inventing some sort of history revisionism rose colored specs. I think when I talk about the 'joy or innocence' of the 80's I am speaking purely from my own personal world, or growing up.