So you want to audition for the Muppets?

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
Surprisingly, only 48 showed up for the Playhouse Disney Live! auditions. I would have thought it would have been at least three times that. And at those, you didn't even have to do any voices. The whole show is pre-recorded. AND they weren't even looking for experienced puppeteers!

:stick_out_tongue:
I think one has to take into account a few things for that low turn out.
1) Disney auditions for these types of shows several times during the year (if I am correct) so that might account for a low turnout.

2) Most actors being how they are prefer to be seen and heard, and if they had auditioned for this they would neither be seen nor heard. So they would keep away.

This Muppet audition on the other hand is very rare.
I have heard of many, many hundreds showing up at Muppet auditions years ago.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I''m finally going to post in this thread, after reading it for ages.
I just want to ask, does this idea make anyone except for me and Kynan nervous? Cause thinking about the whole multiple-characters thing seems rather unsettling.
I'm not talking about the semantics, or if it's right or wrong, and not to dredge up any bad feelings or anything, I know it's a good work opportunity for alot of people. But it does make me rather uncomfortable, I don't like the idea.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
I'm finally going to post in this thread, after reading it for ages. I just want to ask, does this idea make anyone except for me and Kynan nervous?
Never fear, Mrs P, there are others like out there. We've been talking about it a lot at Tough Pigs, in this thread:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/toughpigs/messages?msg=8333.1

...and I've received a lot of e-mail feedback via www.SaveTheMuppets.com.

People's natural excitement about the auditions has overshadowed our concerns to a degree. But One Muppet, One Voice has attracted a lot of attention, and not just among Muppet fans, either. There's a lot of quiet support in a lot of places.

puppetsmith

Reaction score
Without consistent performers, the Muppets will no longer be the Muppets. Kermit The Frog will become Kermit A Frog -- and all for the sake of convenience. Fifty years of Muppet history is being thrown aside so that MHC can create an assembly-line of not-quite-Muppets. The artists who originated and honed the Muppet characters will be demoted, becoming part of a pool of on-call impressionists, hired day-to-day based on convenience, cost and the whim of MHC.
Well said at savethemuppets.com. Disney prostitutes their own characters, why would we expect any different. If only we could go back to days of Walt and Jim when quality and loyalty to character meant something, no matter how much money was to be gained or lost.

Voiceroy

Reaction score
Kynan Barker said:
Voiceroy: In your message you said you'd "performed Kermit for local events." Under the circumstances, I think mine was a legitimate question, and not worthy of a "for crying out loud". I appreciate you clarifying.
Well, then I was wrong to have read into what I felt was the *tone* of your post. But when you direct a statement at someone like this: "It bothers me that passing yourself off as Kermit could count as positive prior experience for this job" -- anyone else reading that tell me that doesn't sound rather negative... harsh, even?

But to clarify your clarification: Anybody performing with a Kermit puppet at a public event is infringing on MHC's copyright.

A comedy bit where you have ping-pong balls for eyes is obviously a different story, but if you've got a frog puppet and you're saying "Hi-ho, I'm Kermit the frog," then that's clear-cut copyright infringement, charity or not. It's up to Disney's discretion how, or if, they respond, but whether you're clearing a profit isn't a factor.
I seriously doubt Disney will sic their legal watchdogs on me -- for one thing, the times I've publicly performed Kermit in the past were all before Disney owned the rights. For another, I just don't think they would care about something so insignificant.

Sheesh... never heard anyone get so defensive over Disney before. They're the big nasty corporation, not me.

Many Kermit performances I've done were parody as well (those involving the ping pong ball eyeballs), and parody falls outside the boundaries of copyright laws. I guarantee you Conan O'Brien didn't get permission to do his "vomiting Kermit" character.

Back to topic, even if I were able to attend any of the three auditions, knowning now that they're requiring a committment involving such extensive travel, I believe I'd have to pass on this audition. I don't think some of the people posting in this thread realize just how extensive that is -- especially the cruise performances, which could potentially keep you away from home for months at a time.

I just spent the last 4 years on the road with a few different music groups, and I got married in June. No more touring for me, unless it allowed for my wife to travel w/ me. It was easier to commit to that when I was single, and it was a blast.

But you can't start a family and give them the support they need when you're on the road full-time. And family's more important than the Muppets.

As for the "One Voice, One Muppet" debate -- I would actually support Disney wanting to use the Muppets for various live events around the globe, particularly for their theme parks and the cruises. I don't think it will "dilute" any character enough for it to be noticable. Only a limited number of audiences will ever see or hear these live performances, and I doubt the individuals chosen from these auditions will ever achieve much notariety. Heck, 98% of the world doesn't even know who Kevin Clash is.

The ones performing the Muppet characters currently simply have too much of a workload already to be able to do appearances like Disney is apparently planning.

Also keep in mind that WB fans have argued the same thing about the Looney Tunes characters since Mel Blanc died. Warners won't do "one voice, one character" to keep any one actor from claiming exclusivity or any kind of official status as "the voice" of any particular character. Disney has retained better consistency w/ the voices of their characters, but that was primarily out of necessity -- makes it easier for them in production when the same actors voice the same characters. That doesn't seem to be the case w/ the Muppets.

My issue with all this is Disney b*stardizing the Muppets characters by overusing them to promote the Disney Channel and other pointless crap.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Kynan Barker said:
Never fear, Mrs P, there are others like out there. We've been talking about it a lot at Tough Pigs, in this thread:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/toughpigs/messages?msg=8333.1

...and I've received a lot of e-mail feedback via www.SaveTheMuppets.com.

People's natural excitement about the auditions has overshadowed our concerns to a degree. But One Muppet, One Voice has attracted a lot of attention, and not just among Muppet fans, either. There's a lot of quiet support in a lot of places.
Ah, cool. I read the Tough Pigs message board once in awhile, but I hadn't seen this. I would join but I don't like the idea of haivng my name plastered on the top of all of my posts.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
I just want to wish the best to all the possibly
hundreds of attendees going to these auditions.​

Whoo-hoo!!!!!
We're gonna rock!!!!​

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
I''m finally going to post in this thread, after reading it for ages.
I just want to ask, does this idea make anyone except for me and Kynan nervous? Cause thinking about the whole multiple-characters thing seems rather unsettling.
I'm not talking about the semantics, or if it's right or wrong, and not to dredge up any bad feelings or anything, I know it's a good work opportunity for alot of people. But it does make me rather uncomfortable, I don't like the idea.
I don't care for it either, I don't feel this is right at all. When this was first posted it appeared they were auditioning for either new characters or for people to perform the characters that don't have performers anymore. I'm glad I decided not to call, I'm personally much more content to go my own way and do my own projects.

InnerChild

Reaction score
Came across this thread while killin time waitin for a response in another one. Heh..long read.

Wow this sounds like a true once-in-a-lifetime opportunity at a dream job for many of you. Wish you all Good Luck!!

Anyway what I wanted to say that I kinda wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall. This would probably make great TV a la the American Idol (hmm..maybe bad example) or Last Comic Standing audition segments. As long as they did it respectfully (more documentary, less reality show), I would love to see the talented & creative puppeteers (both amateur & pro) in these forums as they practice their craft and demonstrate their improv skills.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
InnerChild said:
This would probably make great TV a la the American Idol (hmm..maybe bad example) or Last Comic Standing audition segments.
Especially if they go for this guy ---> :embarrassed: