So you want to audition for the Muppets?

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
I replied to this message over in the Save The Muppets thread. I don't know if I'm supposed to do this, but since this message was posted in both threads, I'll reply here as well -- KB

Hey Mickey Muppet. If you've got any questions about the campaign, you should feel free to address me personally. I'm really sorry you've been bothered by the two threads this discussion has come up in. I'm really not trying to discourage anybody from auditioning, I'm just encouraging everybody to let Disney know how they feel about these plans.

All I know is what I see, and even from the other side of the world, I can see Disney taking away the thing that makes the Muppets special. That gets me steamed, and that's why I've helped start the One Muppet, One Voice campaign. I hope you understand that I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just after some reassurance from Disney that the characters I love will stay true to themselves, in spirit and in voice.

-- the Kynan kid
www.SaveTheMuppets.com

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
Yeah I dont know about anyone else here but I'm kindda gettin offended by this Kynan kid. Telling us that One Voice stuff this and that and to the ones who wana audition, like me, he's practickly saying "dont audition", wich kinda gets me steamed
(steamed shrimp. oh pass that cocktail - statler and waldorf, IVMMCM) I'm NOT saying I hate tha kid but this "One Voice" stuff is just gettin to me and I know some ones gonna say "well dont read it", but ya really cant help it... its ALL OVER most of the threads! sorry to vent like this but its just getting.......... old. 1 hes HAS NO idea what Disney plans on doing and 2nd He (by the looks of his posts) is from the other side of the world, and i KNOW hes a muppets fan like us but he wont be seeing these "wana be" Muppets. and Fozz man, my buddy ol pal, I know EVERY one here is aloud to voice what they think, oh and GOOD luck to you and HOPE you get the "Main Part"
(Fozzie Lion) - - Yes! lol that WAS a pun 4 you! hehe.

Right on fight the Aussie Haters LOL :crazy: :attitude: :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Kynan Barker said:
I want to see a character in the movies named "The Kynan Kid." A western of sorts, set in modern days where the characters are all dressed in 1800's style and drive around the city on horses and wagons (while everybody else is in buses and cars)! Gun fights break out...they even have a showdown in the middle of main-street at noon...while rush-hour lunchtime traffic is going on (so they have to dodge the cars)!!

What do you all think? Funny?? Should I start writing, or just forget about it? (I already know who I wanna have as the star: Crocodile Kynan!)

:zany: <---(Me)

mummytomb

Reaction score
Luke said:
You are talking about the change of puppeteer of the actual main Muppet character, MHC are just auditioning in for stand-in's on a local level using replica puppets - it's a completely different thing.
I'm only saying, People are getting in a huff about the characters only having one voice. In a perfect world the performers would never die, and they would never get tired of doing it. As it stands, we have no cure for either. The whole stand in thing seems necessary. Learn as much as you can while the performers are still alive.

These "back up Performers" will need to practice in front of an audience evenually. You have to have the pressure of the live crowd. It's showbusiness.

...and a money thing.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
If you have followed this long thread, you know how Kynan and a few others feel about these auditions. But it made me think, Kevin Clash was in charge of these auditions, so I guess he's in favor of them? Of course Disney might have said he had to be there if he wanted to keep his job, but I don't think Disney would do that to him. If Kevin had been against these auditions he could have told Disney to find someone else to run these auditions. He has enough power for them to listen to him.

Yet still, the grand lady herself, Jane Henson showed up at the audition. And she doesn't work for Disney. So if she was there, I'm guessing these auditions meet with her approval, and that says a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another thought. Since one of the characters they are casting for is Kermit. What if they find a great Kermit puppeteer and he has a small hand? The top of Kermit’s head would be sort of "Floppy and soggy like" with a small-handed puppeteer since Kermit is the only Muppet that has no internal head structure. Only a large hand will fill up Kermit's head. I hope those casting consider that.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
Kevin's presence at the auditions isn't necessarily an endorsement. He may just be making the best of a bad thing. If Disney's plan was going ahead no matter what, then anyone in Kevin's position would want to at least ensure top quality.

And yes, the dangers of small-handed puppeteers weigh heavily on us all.

propologist

Reaction score
"Here's another thought. Since one of the characters they are casting for is Kermit. What if they find a great Kermit puppeteer and he has a small hand? The top of Kermit’s head would be sort of "Floppy and soggy like" with a small-handed puppeteer since Kermit is the only Muppet that has no internal head structure. Only a large hand will fill up Kermit's head. I hope those casting consider that."
.[/QUOTE]

Well thats not totally correct, having had a real kermit on my arm. They actualy do have a foam insert that can be placed in the head for a smaller hand. But that was for use when Mr.Whitmire can not be in two places at once.
As for me having it on my arm-- no I have not done any on screen puppeteering with it nor any other of the muppets.

Propologist
(Mike)

MGov

Reaction score
I've waited to reply to this thread. Mostly to give myself time to come up with a way to say what I want without being insulting to other people here.

Despite how some people feel, the Muppets are a business. I've seen it written and said about Jim Henson that he thought of the Muppets as a means to eventually do the things he really wanted to do (like directing and producing films).

It's also been said (and seen) that Jim Henson had no qualms about people seeing him put a Muppet on his hand, perform and then toss the Muppet in a box. He respected puppetry but wasn't one to treat the puppets themselves as something too precious.

If Jim Henson had lived, he would be 69 years old this Saturday. Would he still be performing Kermit at that age? We'll never know. Frank Oz at 8 years younger has moved on.

Like I said, the Muppets are a business. And businesses that don't grow and adapt become stagnant and die. Disney learned that lesson in the seventies and eighties. So I think anything they do that helps perpetuate the Muppets has to at least be given a chance. If it fails, if it doesn't make money, then it will end.

And there are an awful lot of things going on the world (hurricanes, wars, missing children, poverty) that are much more important and much more worthy of the effort than whether or not some dork on a cruiseship is the "real" Fozzie Bear.

And I use the word "dork" with the hope that I will be that dork.

Reaction score
off to LA

I'm Leaving for LA this afternoon
Looking forward to meeting everyone and wish all Good Luck! :excited: