1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Some people are so closed minded

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Don_Music_2004, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Fozzie Bear Moderator

You're kidding, right?

I'm 32 in August and I've never let go of the things I love, and my friends love me all the more for that. I'm still very real, attend my job, pay my rent and my electricity, but I have fun with all these things--much more fun than spending money on something stupid like cigarettes or drugs/alcohol, or partying at clubs. I don't surround my every waking moment with these things (Muppets, Fraggles, Peanuts, Blues Brothers, Ghostbusters, etc.) but they are a big part of it because of what I collect. They make me happy. There is nothing wrong with being an adult and holding on to something that makes you happy! It's a real happiness, not one fake happiness created by drugs or alcohol that a lot of people get sucked into. Nothing about real life is a cartoon but it's good to have something fun and happy to escape reality, but I do like marshmallows...roasted.
  2. If some adult think of their lives are a big Cartoon and made of Marshmellows, I say, "Good for you, for taking life as it comes, for not dwelling on all the bad things of the world, for finding something decent and pure and holding on to it" just wait tell your older, have a job, and moved out of you parents house and have alot of responsabilities, bucase you will then reolize you can never be to old for something and sometimes you will want to have those "childish things" to help you escape from the hard frustrating life of the "real" world! Let me tell you, the real world sucks most of the time, when your young all you want to do is get older, get a job and make a life of your own. But when you finnaly get their you wish you could be home watching tv all day and have your perants pay for everything again! Just Wait! You'll see what I mean!
    ty
  3. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Right on, brother! Well said!!
  4. Zondra New Member

I couldn't have phrased it better myself. :excited:
  5. McFraggle Active Member

Nor could I. :D
  6. AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Me neither. Oh, wait... ;)
  7. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Expanding on that, I don't see how it's any more immature than Jerry Springer, Reality TV, and all that other crap people love to watch.

>>Its too bad when people lose their sense of imagination or wodner...those are the people that need psychiatric help.<<

That's pretty much 90% of society.
  8. Convincing John Well-Known Member

(Stands up and applauds)

I betcha Jim Henson's applauding you too.

I've seen it around me all the time...people spending money on (like you said) stupid things like cigarettes, drugs and alcohol.

I grew up being made fun of at school because I (GASP!) never drank smoked or did any drugs. (I still don't and never will). And I was made fun of even more by choosing to spend my time and money on Henson (and other collectible) stuff than on alcohol, etc.

I can see why with the "Reign of Elmo" that people would think "Henson's only for kids". During the Muppet Show days people didn't think so, but then came the Muppet Babies days...and the "just for kids" opinion returned. Soon after (or during) things like The Soryteller and other complex Henson projects surfaced and some thought "Well...he made Sesame Street but look at this...Greek Myths...hmmm..."

Now with Palisades helping us out and with Fraggles being among the other memorable characters of adults' childhoods (such as Popeye and Star Wars), the public view goes to "Hey, yeah, I remember that show! That was a cool show! Yeah, Swedish Chef!"

So, what is the public's view of Henson? It's wembling. It wembles back and forth and has for years because Jim Henson made stuff for very young kids, older kids, adults...all ages. It just depends on which characters are in the spotlight and what's new. The public can switch on their TV and see Elmo's World, and then go to their local mall and see classic Muppet Show character figures displayed for sale, or even pick up a copy of "Designs and Doodles".

Jim Henson fascinates me, and always will...always. No matter what anyone says. Yeah, you might feel like the only Muppet fan out there sometimes, but that's what Muppet Central's for!:D

Convincing John
  9. McFraggle Active Member

I was never a drinker or smoker either. I never understood why society sees that as a normal part of growing up. I think it comes from the media as much as anything. I would rather be entertained by the Muppets and other similar things than waste my life, time, and money on things that don't benefit me at all. Laughter, as well as faith and other good things, cures most ills, not those other things.
  10. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

OUTRAGEOUS! ! !

*Throws chairs*

Sorry, couldn't resist, lol... :halo:
  11. muppet baby Active Member

You know i hate how peple can be so closed minded when an adult , likes and still watches fraggle rock .

I have loved and watched fraggle rock all of my life , i bought the first complte series came out , and i watch in good times and in bad times i am going to watch them all way though this week as a matter of fact again .

It is a show for every adulit or child no one should get upset when they see an a grown up watching this show .

It is a wonderful show and those who are closed minded need to just keep there feelings to themselves .

People need to realize that fraggle rock is about making people feel good and about being a light to the world .
  12. Gelfling Girl Active Member

A few days ago, I was reading a biography of Jim Henson at school, and one boy was looking at me like Seriously? Doesn't anybody (other than us on MC) respect the sheer awesomeness of the Muppets these days?
  13. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Pretty much...

In real life, there's all of these "standards" that you have to follow in order to be considered normal, or be accepted by society... and pretty much, you have to "outgrow" the Muppets once you're in Grade 3 it seems like (but kind of work on it in Grade 2), otherwise you're considered a baby by your peers, and they will tease you for it.

Once you're in Grade 8, you have to outgrow cartoons as well, because you're considered immature.
  14. SSLFan Well-Known Member

*Ahem*...just had to chime in & add my two cents, lol.:D

But honestly, I have really outgrown all of my childhood fads except SS & Muppets. And it's not like I watch it for the educational purposes, I like it for the pure entertainment (if SS still has any will all that structured stuff, but thats a topic for another thread), and the muppet zaniness. Though it is a shame a person will get teased for liking certain things, but hey, that's one of the cruelties of life.
  15. Gelfling Girl Active Member

I like to tell people, "If you make fun of something you once watched, you're really just making fun of yourself."
  16. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

No doubt that people will outgrown certain things that they grew up with a kids; personally, as a kid I was so obsessed with such cartoons as Courage the Cowardly Dog and Cow and Chicken and such, but these days, I don't even remotely think about them anymore... I may go through a tape of episodes strictly for a trip down memory lane, and I still peruse through my collection of comic books from time to time, but other than that.

I was just simply adding that according to "standards" you HAVE to outgrown anything Muppet related (especially Sesame Street) by Grade 3 or so; I have to admit by the time I was eleven, I almost did, but it took an act of seeing the A&E documentary on Sesame Street and seeing the behind-the-scenes footage that not only sparked my interest in the Muppets again, but it also sparked me into considering a path in puppetry, and now look at me today, I've been a puppeteer now for about five years (not regularly, or steadily though).
  17. Drtooth Well-Known Member

The only thing I truly outgrew was Captain Planet. I used to really like it... now I joust don't. Ick. Toxic Crusaders all the way, man... And of course, I liked a fair amount of girly cartoons until I hit Kindergarten.

Anyway, I say what I always say. Look at the stuff that's supposedly made for our age bracket... the so called mature stuff. Survivor? Dancing with the Stars? Judge fill in the blank? That stuff's more immature than Barney. Say what you will about that show, at least the kids are well behaved, and aren't politicking and scamming and backstabbing. Barney is abhorrent trash as a kid's show, don't get me wrong, but at least he doesn't celebrate the worst in humanity... at least, not on an obvious level. Sure, I like a lot of things considered adult. I used to watch old sitcoms all the time as a kid. But the kid's stuf... really... that's where you find some of the sharpest writing.

I mean, who here even got the Sesame Street hurricane episode with the character I. M. Pig? Took me years to get that one.
  18. bazooka_beak Active Member

I know I definitely outgrew Care Bears (loved it was a kid, now I just laugh at it), but a lot of things I kept with me, INCLUDING the Muppets. At my age I'm supposed to watch sleazy reality shows and sitcoms like Desperate Housewives. No thank you!
  19. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Desperate Housewives is a sitcom? I never could tell, I thought it was supposed to be a drama.

But then again, I always thought Boston Legal was supposed to be a sitcom...

There's something wrong with today's marketing... DH promos make the show seem dramatic, while BL promos make the show seem comedic...
  20. heralde Well-Known Member

You're probably also one of the few people who reads books. ;)