Some thoughts on Muppet Treasure Island

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Yes, Cabin Fever was the best song of the film, in my opinion. I liked how they gave Sam a prominent role for the first time ever in a Muppet movie.

On a side note, when this movie came out I had an MTI book, and it was one of those "choose your own path books" that were popular at the time. I remember one of the options was that rather than ever going on an adventure with the Muppets, you get a set of drums for your birthday (the shortest pathway). Another, I kid you not, involved you getting shot in the face and dying (of course it wasn't so explicit, but it's what was implied), which doesn't belong in a children's book.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Another, I kid you not, involved you getting shot in the face and dying (of course it wasn't so explicit, but it's what was implied), which doesn't belong in a children's book.
Is that what happens if you don't let Long John get away at the end? -- Because I am certain that he wouldn't have allowed that to happen. -- Or is it what happens if you don't give him your compass?

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Is that what happens if you don't let Long John get away at the end? -- Because I am certain that he wouldn't have allowed that to happen. -- Or is it what happens if you don't give him your compass?
I can't recall the specifics, I just remember being shocked reading that ending as a child. It was called "Find Your Way to Muppet Treasure Island" and was by Kate McMullan. Maybe I'll buy it on Amazon just for nostalgia.

MuppetGuy75

Reaction score
MTI absolutely cracks me up but as for the music, some songs are better than others for me. Some tracks give the movie alot of life and then others tend to drag on and on. I always felt that the kid that played Jim Hawkins always sang in the wrong key. I don't know why they had him singing so high? Go figure... but besides that, the jokes, puns, and gags are hilarious! :smile::shifty::concern:

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Just watched MTI for the 1st time since I was a kid. More recently, I considered it one of the worst Muppet films, but after rewatching it I have to say it was quite entertaining. I think it's hurt by the fact that it isn't an "original" Muppet movie, like MCC, but unlike MCC not everybody knows the story of Treasure Island. It's certainly better by leaps and bounds than Muppets From Space, and I loved that Sam the Eagle was finally given a prominent role in a Muppet film. The Creature Shop creations for the film were also some of the best Muppets I've seen, my favorite Muppets exclusive to the film were Mad Monty and Clueless Morgan.

Nasubionna

Reaction score
I actually never saw MTI until literally a few months ago. I don't know how I missed it back in '96... but I really, really enjoyed it! I'm only vaguely familiar with the story of Treasure Island, so any differences between the Muppet version and the original didn't register with me. I thought the soundtrack was great (I especially like the very first song, while the pirates are burying the treasure), the Muppets and costumes were fantastic, and I overall just found it really beautiful, funny and charming.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just watched MTI for the 1st time since I was a kid. More recently, I considered it one of the worst Muppet films, but after rewatching it I have to say it was quite entertaining. I think it's hurt by the fact that it isn't an "original" Muppet movie, like MCC, but unlike MCC not everybody knows the story of Treasure Island. It's certainly better by leaps and bounds than Muppets From Space, and I loved that Sam the Eagle was finally given a prominent role in a Muppet film. The Creature Shop creations for the film were also some of the best Muppets I've seen, my favorite Muppets exclusive to the film were Mad Monty and Clueless Morgan.
I find MTI a much better Muppet film than MCC... there was very little room for them to be funny, and they did what they could in MCC. There are more somber moments than Muppety ones for sure. It's a beautiful movie and a well done retelling of the Christmas Carol that's much better than most (though I find the Mr. Magoo one to be my favorite character retelling), but MTI was pretty special.

Pirates are wacky, or at least they can be. I'm glad they made even the evilest of pirates funny and likable. Tim Curry needs to be in more Muppet projects. He really does. And to put him with perhaps the zaniest pirates to ever grace the big screen...it's a hundred and two times the Muppet movie MCC was. Even the music had that goofy singalong feel to it.

Out of the three classic retelling movies, I find it the closest to what the Muppets were about.

And yes. Sam does get the dignity he rightly deserves by having a major role.

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
I love MTI. I was in second grade when it first came out and while I was a Muppet fan then it was the movie where I kinda decided I'd really like to work with the muppets. Kevin Bishop was my hero for wuite a while.
I absolutely adore the songs. I was kinda bummed that the Electirc Mayhem songs weren't on the CD.

zoebell

Reaction score
i did not like this one. it's criminal how tiny a part piggy has, and kermit too for that matter. plus, the songs were just really bad, imo. all of the muppet movies until this one had GREAT music, and none of the songs here were memorable at all. just didn't work for me