Some thoughts on Muppet Treasure Island

Drtooth

Reaction score
And it is a shame we didn't get more familiar Muppets as pirates. Sweetums had limited dialogue while Lew Zealand had no dialogue.
He had that one in Cabin Fever that got cut from the final movie... I don't see why. It couldn't have dragged the film down that much if it's like an extra 30 seconds of song.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I have never been able to watch the movie straight through. Something about it just loses me mid way :/

JackMonster

Reaction score
Hmmm, I always loved MTI as a kid, it was the one I watched over and over for some reason. I watched it last night actually and, I really HATE Jim Hawkins' singing voice. I don't get it, I just don't. It's too high and too hmmmm young I guess. Muppets are known for their amazing songs and his just aren't good. I LOVE Cabin fever and the first song. "Shiver my timbers" I think.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I watched it last night actually and, I really HATE Jim Hawkins' singing voice. I don't get it, I just don't. It's too high and too hmmmm young I guess. Muppets are known for their amazing songs and his just aren't good. I LOVE Cabin fever and the first song. "Shiver my timbers" I think.
Yeah, I wish they cast a less... well... effeminate kid to play Jim. If you ask me, it should have been Robin, but whatever... he's the only major problem I have with the movie. I think Tim Curry more than makes up for it, though. Big Tim Curry fan here.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I have never been able to watch the movie straight through. Something about it just loses me mid way :/
That is kind of me as well. It sort of reminds me of MCC where it's a pretty good kid's movie, but not as much a Muppet movie.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There was an interview with Jerry Nelson where he said they had trouble finding roles for Gonzo and Rizzo... It's a wonder they didn't have Gonzo play "Robert Louis Stevenson" and Rizzo play himself. But perhaps they didn't want too much of a repeat of MCC... Though they did return as hosts for Muppet Classic Theater.

I wonder if Scooter could have played Jim Hawkins, if Richard Hunt had been alive or if Scooter'd been recast by then. Though part of me also feels he could have played Mr. Arrow.

JackMonster

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish they cast a less... well... effeminate kid to play Jim. If you ask me, it should have been Robin, but whatever... he's the only major problem I have with the movie. I think Tim Curry more than makes up for it, though. Big Tim Curry fan here.
Yeah, I love Time Curry, he was perfect :smile:

FletchySRF3088

Reaction score
I wonder if Scooter could have played Jim Hawkins, if Richard Hunt had been alive or if Scooter'd been recast by then. Though part of me also feels he could have played Mr. Arrow.
I remember a friend mentioned this idea to me a couple years ago and when I first read it, I instantly fell in love with it. Granted, I may sound a little biased since Scooter is my favourite muppet and I know there are probably going to be some people who will disagree but I really do feel he would've been perfect for the part of Jim Hawkins.

I do wonder myself if this could've happened if Richard had been alive or Scooter were permanently recast at the time. But I do think there could've been a good chance, if they were looking for a muppet character to play Jim Hawkins instead of a human. Also, considering the loyalty Scooter (usually) shows to Kermit and in the film the character Jim, in some way having to decide if his loyalties should lie with either Smollett (Kermit) or Long John Silver, I think is another reason Scooter would've been good in the role.

Plus - for me personally anyway - it would've been so much fun to see the chemistry between Scooter, Gonzo and Rizzo and have them as the main three characters in the film.

But I do also like your idea of Scooter as Mr. Arrow, minor muppetz. Just imagine him kicking butt like Sam did towards the end of the film! haha

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Several months ago on the Tough Pigs forum there was a thread about Muppet Treasure Island, and somebody thought Sam was miscast, as his character was helpful. I don't see how being helpful is out-of-character for Sam. I thought he was helpful... At what he thought was important (making others more dignified and cultural). Sam seemed in character to me.

Someone also thought Kermit was miscast, stating that a captain is not supposed to show emotion other than stern. This is news to me... I thought I've seen many fictional captains show a bit of emotion (maybe because the captaisn I watch usually are part of comedy... But the Muppets are also part of comedy).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember a friend mentioned this idea to me a couple years ago and when I first read it, I instantly fell in love with it. Granted, I may sound a little biased since Scooter is my favourite muppet and I know there are probably going to be some people who will disagree but I really do feel he would've been perfect for the part of Jim Hawkins.

I do wonder myself if this could've happened if Richard had been alive or Scooter were permanently recast at the time. But I do think there could've been a good chance, if they were looking for a muppet character to play Jim Hawkins instead of a human. Also, considering the loyalty Scooter (usually) shows to Kermit and in the film the character Jim, in some way having to decide if his loyalties should lie with either Smollett (Kermit) or Long John Silver, I think is another reason Scooter would've been good in the role.
I really wish that Scooter could have been in MCC as Scrooge's nephew instead of another actual human. I dunno where he'd be good in MTI.