Somebody's Getting Married?

Ruahnna

Reaction score
This IS more story!

I couldn’t be any more nervous if I were a real bride, Piggy thought miserably. She waited just outside the door of the soundstage chapel, trying not to trying not to pace, trying not to panic, trying not to pass out. All I have to do is walk down the aisle and meet him at the front. I can do this. I can do this. I can--
Kermit appeared beside her outside the chapel set doors as though from thin air. Piggy stared at him as though he had two heads. What was he…?
“Hey Piggy,” Kermit said softly, too low for the microphones to pick up. “You look terrific. I thought this scene would be nicer if we go down the aisle together.” He smiled at her. “Ready?”
Unable to speak, Piggy nodded. Somehow or other, she hadn’t prepared herself for what it would be like to see him this way, all dressed up for a wedding that wasn’t going to happen, all gussied up with no plans to go anywhere. He looked suave, he looked debonair, he looked…he looked wonderful. Piggy couldn’t meet his eyes, blushing to beat the band. Oh, how she wanted this to be a real wedding. Oh, how she wanted him to really be the groom to her bride. What would he do when he saw Father Bob? What would she see in his eyes? Piggy was suddenly very afraid of that answer. If a genie appeared out of anywhere now, or a fairy godmother to grant her deepest desire, she would turn the hands of the clock back and never know, never face what might happen at the end of this aisle. She had to tell him, to warn him, to stop this chain of inevitable events that just might separate her forever from the one she loved.
“Kermit,” she began nervously. “I need to tell you something.”
The chapel doors began to open. Kermit smiled at her, his eyes encouraging.
“Tell me later—it’s time to get married.”
“But—“
The music was playing, her cue coming up. Piggy turned toward the front of the chapel slowly and began to walk down the aisle with Kermit at her side.
“He’ll make me happy each time I see him. He’ll be the reason my heart can sing. He’ll stand beside me, and I’ll have everything.” Her voice broke a little on the last note, but Piggy kept her composure.
“She’ll make me happy each time I hold her, and I will follow where my heart may lead. And she’ll be all I ever need.” He was looking at her now, looking at her as though he meant every word, looking at her as though he loved her. Well what do you expect? a little voice inside her head prompted nastily. He is, after all, an actor.
“Days go passing into years,” sang the little children.
“Years go passing day by day,” sang some of their oldest cast members.
What might it be like to grow old with Kermit? Years and years of seeing his face across the breakfast table, building a home together, a family, children bouncing on his knee. What would she do if she had to grow old alone?
“She’ll make him happy, now and forever. Until forever, their love will grow. She only knows he’ll make her happy. That’s all she needs to know.”
There was a lot more that Piggy wanted to know, a lot more she never wanted to know. It was like standing outside time, watching yourself do something and not being able to affect the outcome. The interminable aisle came to an end, and Father Bob stepped behind the altar. Gonzo had been correct—the ample he wore had been ample indeed, and the simple stole had completed the outfit. Father Bob has passed emphatically on wearing the hat. “I’m not a bishop,” he’d said firmly, “and I’m not the Pope.” He had, at least, let Piggy powder his head.
Father Bob looked at Piggy for just a moment, smiling just enough to seem appropriate. Beside her, Piggy felt Kermit stiffen.
“Piggy—I thought Gonzo was playing the minister?” he said softly, looking confused.
It was too late. Piggy couldn’t stop it. She felt light-headed. She felt dizzy. She felt close to hysteria. She turned and gave Kermit a little laugh that she hoped was coy, that she hoped would show him that this was just in fun, just in jest, not something that she really, really, really wanted. Kermit gulped and turned back to face the minister.
Why didn’t he yell “cut?” Piggy wondered. Why didn’t he stop and make a scrunchy face and say, “Hah, hah, very funny Piggy—now can we do this again, the right way?” Why didn’t he do something? “Do you Piggy take this frog to be your lawful wedded husband? Do you?”
Wow, Piggy thought absently. Bob has a nice singing voice. She couldn’t seem to focus on anything but the moment, but she heard herself sing, very composedly, “I do.” Kermit was gazing at her with such warmth that Piggy had to look just past him. If he held her in that warm gaze she might just melt away.
“Do you froggy take this pig to be your lawful wedded wife until you die?”
Kermit hesitated. “Well, I….” he said uncomfortably. “Well, um….”
Do you?”
“I—“
Kermit looked at her and she couldn’t help but meet his searching look. For just a moment, Piggy thought Kermit actually swayed toward her, but when she blinked, he was just standing there, gazing at her fondly. He gave a little shrug and turned to face the minister as though his mind was made up.
“I do,” he sang, his voice as clear as a bell.
Piggy thought she might faint. The chapel set around them erupted into shouts and cheers and dozens of doves. One of her nephews was jumping up and down in the seat. Link was crying. Rowlf was crying. Gonzo and Camilla were dancing in the aisles.
“What better way could anything end, hand and hand with a friend,” Kermit sang, smiling at her. Without warning, Kermit leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek. Piggy’s mouth fell open in surprise. He had kissed her! Kermit had actually kissed her. She turned to him in surprise, no longer aware that the cameras were rolling, and Kermit pulled her into his arms and kissed her, his mouth moving insistently with hers.
This is it, Piggy thought. I’m either dreaming or I’m dead. Kermit is actually—
He sat her back on her unsteady legs and turned her toward the auditorium, facing all of their friends. Piggy was grateful for his arm around her waist because she didn’t think she could stand up by herself. Beside her, Kermit gathered himself to speak.
Dear friends, Piggy thought he might say, I want to thank you for coming to my wedding. It means so much to—
“Cut!” Kermit hollered. He took his arm from her waist, turned to Piggy and shook his head ruefully. “Piggy,” he said appreciatively, his voice full of admiration. “You’ve pulled a lot of pranks on me over the years, but this one tops them all.” He made a fist and tapped her lightly on her soft shoulder. “Good one, Piggy,” he said, laughing a little. “You really got me this time.” And then he left her standing there.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Kermit met Scooter outside the chapel set doorways and they set out for the viewing room at a dead run. Kermit tripped twice because he was looking over his shoulder, and Scooter had to steady him to keep him from going down.
“If you want to live to see this thing through,” Scooter said after the third time, “you’ve got to keep moving.” He gave Kermit his best bullying look. It wasn’t as good as it would get in later years, but it shook Kermit out of his distraction.
“I just—I want to do this as quickly as we can,” Kermit said emphatically. “I may not have much time.”
The film crew had been alerted and they were ready for them, feeding the freshly made film into the projector as soon as they possibly could. Watching them, he knew they were pulling off miracles to the right and left of him, and he was more grateful than he could express.
“Ready for you, Mr. the Frog,” one of the men said, grinning broadly.
“Please--let me see it,” Kermit said eagerly. Scooter crowed up next to him so they could both watch from the same perspective. They ran the footage as quickly as they could without compromising the quality or the sound. He looked at the film from every camera, assessing every angle. When the last reel had run, the two of them exchanged delighted grins.
“That was great, Boss—just what we wanted.”
“It was perfect,” Kermit said. He let out a deep sigh, squared his shoulders and gave Scooter his best dare-devil smile. “Now that that’s out of the way, I’m ready for some fun.” He started out the door, but Scooter put a hand on his shoulder.
“Hey Boss,” he said hesitantly. Kermit turned to find Scooter fidgeting nervously with his jacket buttons. “Um, be careful, won’t you, Kermit?”
Kermit nodded solemnly. “Very careful,” he insisted. “I’ve come too far to lose now.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh Ru... What are you doing...
Wow, two new installments.

The wedding scene from TMTM!
"He'll Make Her Happy", really liked how you worked it into the story. And I also liked Piggy's inward thoughts.
Kermit getting tricked by Piggy and Father Bob... Hmm, now why does that remind me of this Behind the Scenes thingy I saw the other day?
And Kermit's laughing off Piggy's prank at the end...

Posted by Ru: "And then he left her standing there."
Oh! Stabbety-stab-stab.

Then you've got Scooter and Kermit rushing off to review the film from the scene.
Scooter's bullying look? Heh, that gofer needs to met a certain girl, that look'll go away in a heartbeat.
Posted by Cath: "I've come too far to lose now."
Oh... Mmngh. Stabbed once more.

Great stuff, keep it coming! Looking forward to this and your other stories getting updated eventually.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I loved the last two chapters! I really love how you showed all the things Piggy was thinking as they were shooting that scene! And then Kermit and Scooter and my goodness. What are they up to?

Great stuff, can't wait to read more!

MarkFraggle

Reaction score
There is something very enjoyable about Kermit and Scooter plotting together. It's so easy to imagine Richard and Jim bringing it to life. I LOVE the entire atmosphere of this story, can't wait for more.

Leyla

Reaction score
Yay!! More Ru story!! <bounces>

Ah, and so sweet and heart melty and interesting too. Not that this is a shock, but I loved seeing Piggy's thoughts about the whole arrangement, her nerves, her reactions to Kermit's sincerity during the ceremony. It's a really interesting take on the wedding scene, with Piggy wanting Kermit to think the switched minister was just a prank, testing his reaction, and his feelings for her.

the Diva of Ushy Gushy said:
Unable to speak, Piggy nodded. Somehow or other, she hadn’t prepared herself for what it would be like to see him this way, all dressed up for a wedding that wasn’t going to happen, all gussied up with no plans to go anywhere. He looked suave, he looked debonair, he looked…he looked wonderful. Piggy couldn’t meet his eyes, blushing to beat the band. Oh, how she wanted this to be a real wedding. Oh, how she wanted him to really be the groom to her bride. What would he do when he saw Father Bob? What would she see in his eyes? Piggy was suddenly very afraid of that answer.
Oh! Lovely, lovely! Sweet and poignant, and you brought all my fond memories of that scene right back to the surface. I love her blushing and her seeing him all dressed up, and Kermit being nice to her and her wondering what she'll see in his eyes! Oh, I love it!

If a genie appeared out of anywhere now, or a fairy godmother to grant her deepest desire, she would turn the hands of the clock back and never know, never face what might happen at the end of this aisle. She had to tell him, to warn him, to stop this chain of inevitable events that just might separate her forever from the one she loved.
Wow, it's a rare moment indeed when Piggy gets so rattled she wants to back out of something, especially when that something involves Kermit. Ah, it always gets to me when she's worried about losing him.

“He’ll make me happy each time I see him. He’ll be the reason my heart can sing. He’ll stand beside me, and I’ll have everything.” Her voice broke a little on the last note, but Piggy kept her composure.
“She’ll make me happy each time I hold her, and I will follow where my heart may lead. And she’ll be all I ever need.”
Yay!! I love that song!!

He was looking at her now, looking at her as though he meant every word, looking at her as though he loved her. Well what do you expect? a little voice inside her head prompted nastily. He is, after all, an actor.
Oh, he does seem so sincere during that whole song. Actor schmactor. Who can watch that scene and not see the love!!

What might it be like to grow old with Kermit? Years and years of seeing his face across the breakfast table, building a home together, a family, children bouncing on his knee. What would she do if she had to grow old alone?
I... must not cry, I must not cry... oooohhhh!!!! <sigh> Do get them married, will you, Ru dear?

He had, at least, let Piggy powder his head.
<giggles>

It was too late. Piggy couldn’t stop it. She felt light-headed. She felt dizzy. She felt close to hysteria. She turned and gave Kermit a little laugh that she hoped was coy, that she hoped would show him that this was just in fun, just in jest, not something that she really, really, really wanted.
Oh, what a lovely interpretation of that laugh! <sigh> Oh, Piggy...

Why didn’t he yell “cut?” Piggy wondered. Why didn’t he stop and make a scrunchy face and say, “Hah, hah, very funny Piggy—now can we do this again, the right way?” Why didn’t he do something?
Yeah! WHY?! He could have at any time, but he didn't! Kermit wanted to say I do! <shoos ushy gushy girl back into her cage>

Wow, Piggy thought absently. Bob has a nice singing voice.
Indeed!

She couldn’t seem to focus on anything but the moment, but she heard herself sing, very composedly, “I do.” Kermit was gazing at her with such warmth that Piggy had to look just past him. If he held her in that warm gaze she might just melt away.
Sigh... Leyla's not here right now, please leave a message at the tone.

Kermit looked at her and she couldn’t help but meet his searching look. For just a moment, Piggy thought Kermit actually swayed toward her, but when she blinked, he was just standing there, gazing at her fondly. He gave a little shrug and turned to face the minister as though his mind was made up.
“I do,” he sang, his voice as clear as a bell.
<squeals> I love the way he says that, and him gazing at her fondly and thhe shrug, and OOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!

“What better way could anything end, hand and hand with a friend,” Kermit sang, smiling at her. Without warning, Kermit leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek. Piggy’s mouth fell open in surprise. He had kissed her! Kermit had actually kissed her. She turned to him in surprise, no longer aware that the cameras were rolling, and Kermit pulled her into his arms and kissed her, his mouth moving insistently with hers.
This is it, Piggy thought. I’m either dreaming or I’m dead. Kermit is actually—
<pokes cage cautiously> I think you killed her...<slight movement> Oh! No, no, she's alright... just drugged into a stupor. She'll be fine. She looks very pleased.

He sat her back on her unsteady legs and turned her toward the auditorium, facing all of their friends. Piggy was grateful for his arm around her waist because she didn’t think she could stand up by herself. Beside her, Kermit gathered himself to speak.
Dear friends, Piggy thought he might say, I want to thank you for coming to my wedding. It means so much to—
“Cut!” Kermit hollered.
His arms around her waist... <sigh> and Piggy's off in full blown fantasy land. Lovely. <eyes cage> Looks like a fun place to live.

He took his arm from her waist, turned to Piggy and shook his head ruefully. “Piggy,” he said appreciatively, his voice full of admiration. “You’ve pulled a lot of pranks on me over the years, but this one tops them all.” He made a fist and tapped her lightly on her soft shoulder. “Good one, Piggy,” he said, laughing a little. “You really got me this time.” And then he left her standing there.
Well, Kermit sure took it well, all things together, of course he was either oblivious, or pretending to be oblivious (smack!) about what he just did to Piggy. I guess it's a better reaction than hysteria... but shrugging it off...ouch.
<peers in at ushy gushy girl> That'll take some of the buzz off, won't it? <inarticulate ushy gushy noises.> Yeah, I think she's up to something too. It is Ruahnna after all!

Oh look, frog plotting! That's always good, right? <kicks cage> Hey c'mon, cheer up, Kermit's plotting something! <ushy gushy noises> Of course that's good news! No, I haven't a sweet clue what he's planning... an actual wedding I'm hoping. <cage rattles> Yes, I know you're hoping too, but we'll just have to wait and see. Look, Kermit's got a dare-devil smile! Why don't you just sit quietly and think about that for a while, eh? <thud>

Aw... out like a light. They're so easy to please.

<hugs Ru>
Thanks! Loved it! (And yes, clearly I have lost my mind)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*On PA system: Will the owner of this slightly overused brain please come pick it up. It says it's owner is a girl named Leyla, whoever that may be.
Thank you.

*Turns PA off.
*Turns PA back on: Oh, and to the author...
More please.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
RU!!!!!!!!!!!! I've gotta tell ya I read this first thing this morning after not sleeping last night and then I missed the bus which was really not cool but the story made it all better!

Ruahnna said:
“Tell me later—it’s time to get married.”
I LOVED that line. SO much. SO SO SO SO SOOOOO much you have no idea. It just- MMM! It makes me go squealy.

And, can I just say... In the movie, I always saw it as the second kiss being her kissing him... But the way you've got it here... of course... I don't really know how to say what I'm thinking, but I LOVE IT! Honestly really truly...

And I love that Kermit is so appreciative of the film crew "pulling off miracles." I like that. And that he kept tripping...

And um, I'm pretty darned sure that everything else I loved has all ready been mentioned. So.

MORE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And thank you for sending me to school in a half-sleeping daydreamy haze of ushy-gush... I love it when I can't focus on math to save my life... No I'm serious, I really do! You have no idea how much fanfic I've written in math class...)