Something I just realized about Christmas specials

snichols1973

Reaction score
It is not surprising that some members of the clergy objected to the way in which Christ's birth was being commemorated; aside from the gluttony and games, they worried about observing Jesus' birth as if He were a person rather than the Incarnate God. Celebrations of the Nativity should be more spiritual, they argued, or perhaps abolished outright.

The more Christmas became established in the customs and hearts of the people, the more worried the clergy became. Old worries about the pagan elements of the celebration began to surface again, and some church officials questioned the prudence of having allowed them to continue in the first place; should they put a halt to all this before things went too far?

With the Protestant Reformation, these objections gained the backing of an organized power. Beginning in 1517 with the posting of Martin Luther's 95 theses, the Reformation attacked religious feasts and Saints' Days, among other things, as corrupt practices. Christmas was outlawed in Scotland in 1583.

The Protestants and Puritans of England also condemned the gluttony, drinking and partying associated with Christmas celebrations and argued for all pagan customs to be done away with. Most Protestants observed Christmas as a day of quiet reflection; the Puritans, however, did not observe it at all. Strict interpreters of the Scriptures, the Puritans pointed to the commandment to devote six days for work and one day for rest. Unless Christmas happened to fall on the Sabbath, it was considered a work day.

By the middle of the seventeenth century, the holiday was under fire. The feelings of previously small pockets of objectors began to have mass impact as the political situation in England became increasingly unstable. From 1642 to 1649 the country was engaged in civil war as a result of the power struggle between the Stuart kings and Parliament; over this time England entered its Commonwealth period and was ruled by Oliver Cromwell and the Puritans. Christmas's enemies began taking the first steps towards defeating the holiday. The government issued official policies outlawing all religious festivals.

"Whereas some doubts have been raised whether the next Fast shall be celebrated because it falleth on the day which, heretofore, was usually called the Feast of the Nativity of our Saviour, the lords and commons do order that public notice be given, that the Fast appointed to be kept on the last Wednesday in every month, ought to be observed until it be otherwise ordered by both houses; and that this day particularly is to be kept with the same solemn humiliation because it may call to rememberance our sins and the sins of our forefathers, who have turned this Feast, pretending the memory of Christ, into an extreme forgetfulness of him, by giving liberty to carnal and sensual delights."
---- 1644 English proclamation outlawing public Christmas revelries

The era of the Puritan reign was filled with such laws, updated over the years to be even more strict. At first such declarations caused a great deal of upheaval among the people, who were unprepared for such a step and objected to the idea to begin with. In the initial days of these ordinances, the people tried to disobey, and there was even some rioting. Gradually, however, the Puritans won out.

Technically, the Puritans objected to Christmas not as a Christian event but as an excessive festival with pagan roots; apparently, they believed the only way to deal with such impious doings was to abolish the day and everything associated with it. They meant to banish this "wrong" not only from the country but from the hearts of its subjects. And they came very close to succeeding--but then came the Restoration.

Christmas was legitimized again when the monarchy, led by Charles II, returned to power in 1660. The holiday could be observed freely again, and people were happy. The popular sentiment of the time was expressed in this verse:

Now thanks to God for Charles' return,
Whose absence made old Christmas mourn;
For then we scarcely did it know,
Whether it Christmas were or no. [1]

---------

In Colonial America, the Puritans of New England shared radical Protestant disapproval of Christmas. Celebration was outlawed in Boston from 1659 to 1681. The ban by the Pilgrims was revoked in 1681 by English governor Sir Edmund Andros, however it was not until the mid-19th century that celebrating Christmas became fashionable in the Boston region.
At the same time, Christian residents of Virginia and New York observed the holiday freely. Pennsylvania German Settlers, pre-eminently the Moravian settlers of Bethlehem, Nazareth and Lititz in Pennsylvania and the Wachovia Settlements in North Carolina, were enthusiastic celebrators of Christmas. The Moravians in Bethlehem had the first Christmas trees in America as well as the first Nativity Scenes. Christmas fell out of favor in the United States after the American Revolution, when it was considered an English custom. George Washington attacked Hessian (German) mercenaries on the day after Christmas during the Battle of Trenton on December 26, 1776, Christmas being much more popular in Germany than in America at this time. [2]

---------

While public celebration of Christmas faced both religious objections and adverse social conditions in England, the German people were enjoying a wonderful and expansive Christmas tradition that had been building up over the centuries. It is very likely that the American love affair with Christmas that began in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, so influential in the way the whole world now views the holiday, might never have occurred if it had not been for the enthusiastic influence of Christmas-loving German immigrants.

The Germans have long espoused the idea of keeping the spirit of Christmas alive inside--in one's heart, mind and spirit---and turning that feeling outward in mass celebration. The traditional German Christmas is a Christmas of trees, gingerbread houses, cookies, feasts, and carols; most of all, it is the Christmas of childhood wonder and joy.

Other German contributions to the world's celebration of Christmas include the timeless carols O Tannenbaum ("O Christmas Tree") and Silent Night.

The German people have had an enormous part to play in shaping Christmas into the form we know and love today. It has been said that the Germans had "such an abundance of Christmas spirit that they gave some of it to the rest of the world."

One of the beneficiaries of the German love of Christmas was Victorian England. Queen Victoria assumed the throne in 1837 at the age of eighteen; three years later she married Prince Albert, who became Prince Consort. Prince Albert, being of German descent, brought with him to England many of the wonderful Christmas traditions of his homeland. Christmas soon became a special occasion for the Royal Family; their celebration of it emphasized the importance of family closeness and an appreciation of children, and revived the idea of the holiday meal and holiday decorations. In 1841 Prince Albert introduced the first Christmas tree to Windsor Castle; he was largely responsible for the later popularity of Christmas trees in England. Since Victoria and her family enjoyed an astonishing popularity that verged at times on religious adoration, much of what they did was widely emulated. Newspapers and magazines such as The Illustrated London News provided a hungry audience with chronicles of the royals' daily activities. Anything seen in the castle, it seemed, was soon copied in homes throughout the country, providing the English Christmas with a much-needed boost.

Gradually, over the course of Victoria's reign, the tide turned. Christmas once more had an important place in English life.

The Victorian Christmas was quaint and warm, highlighted by family togetherness. Christmas became more than a party. It commanded a special spirit, full of kindness and charity. More prevalent than the excesses of the past was the idea of giving, and of concern for others, particularly those less fortunate. As Charles Dickens said, Christmas was "the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely." [3]

---------

The custom of giving gifts on Christmas Day did not come about until the last few decades of the century; before that, England adhered to the old Roman traditions of waiting until New Year's Day. When Christmas eventually became the day for gifts, it was England's turn to borrow from America, whose Santa Claus became the model for the English Father Christmas.

By the beginning of the twentieth century, Christmas was fully re-established as a holiday, steeped again in tradition and spirit. The Victorians had helped to mold a Christmas tradition that would forever alter the way Christmas was celebrated in England and America. [4]

[1.] The Everything Christmas Book, 1996; Ch. 1, p. 10-11
[2.] Excerpt from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas (3: History; 3.3: Reformation into the 19th Century)
[3.] The Everything Christmas Book, p. 13-14
[4.] Ibid., p. 15

Drtooth

Reaction score
Good history lesson there.

You know what else? I've come to the realization that, of all the characterizations of Santa in Christmas specials, the WORST has to be Rudolph. Hear me out. He's a joyless jerkwad that scolds Rudolph's father for daring to father a freak of nature, he's always short with the elves (unintentional pun), and overall, he's almost something out of a dark parody than a happy little special like this.

Of course, my favorite's Rise of the Guardians' Santa, but that's another story. I can't resist buttkicking Santa Claus.

robodog

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cracked had an article that pointed out the same thing about the Rudolph version of Santa. But then again most of the characters in that show were jerks. Rudolph was a freak until they needed him.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's kind of like Elf, only not quite as extreme: one of the points with the writers and director is they wanted to break away from the same old-same old Santa is always so merry and jolly, and show him as slightly irrasible and somewhat cranky, considering he's a very busy guy, running a big organization, having to look after a bunch of elves, etc. It also didn't hurt that Ed Asner played Santa in that manner.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Cracked had an article that pointed out the same thing about the Rudolph version of Santa. But then again most of the characters in that show were jerks. Rudolph was a freak until they needed him.
Yeah. I was reading it when I wrote that!

I do like Rudolph, but I really only watch for Yukon Cornelius and the Bumble. But everyone is just so nasty in that special, except for the outcasts. The outcasts at least have some clarity on the situation. Heck, the elf gets more respect at the end of the special for being a dentist than Rudolph does. I don't see why they didn't have at least one minute devoted to Santa saying that everyone was wrong for condemning him and forcing him to run out by himself. Not a very Santa like thing to do, actually.

It also didn't hurt that Ed Asner played Santa in that manner.
Ed Asner always plays Santa. And he's Jewish! But he's a great Santa. Still...

"Hey Rudolph! Wanna go out for a Mint?"

"DO I?!?!?"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ed Asner always plays Santa. And he's Jewish!
Well, Elf had a number of Jewish castmembers... James Caan included.

Not to mention, there's a number of Jewish singers who have recorded Christmas songs over the years... Barbra Streisand sounds like she's had too much caffine in her recording of "Jingle Bells".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Good history lesson there.

You know what else? I've come to the realization that, of all the characterizations of Santa in Christmas specials, the WORST has to be Rudolph. Hear me out. He's a joyless jerkwad that scolds Rudolph's father for daring to father a freak of nature, he's always short with the elves (unintentional pun), and overall, he's almost something out of a dark parody than a happy little special like this.
That's one of the earliest Rankin & Bass Christmas specials and hence more than a little old fashioned. Look at the way they say they have to "get the women home," lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It seems that, considering it's one of the earlier Christmas specials (not counting the countless TERRIBLE 1930's and early 40's cartoons) D'Snowth has a point. It's trying to be subversive and satirical in a 1960's, "you'd get it if you read Mad Magazine from that era" sort of way. I mean, the Dentist Elf bit is a give-a-way, isn't it? The thing is, Santa is supposed to be a parody in this special, but it just doesn't come across too well. He's clearly the frustrated father of too many kids, but it translates into "jerk Santa."

You have to admit, considering it's one of the first major Christmas specials, it's a little early to start parodying cliches.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's trying to be subversive and satirical in a 1960's, "you'd get it if you read Mad Magazine from that era" sort of way.
Oooo yeah I hadn't thought of it like that, that's interesting. Yeah Mad Magazine was more brutal back then, lol.

Now that you mention it I do remember being annoyed at Santa for being so unsympathetic to Rudolph, lol. Though I was more angry at Rudolph's father who should have been arrested by Reindeer Protective Services, lol.

Piggy The Frog

Reaction score
Reading through this thread reminds me of two specials in particular, where a character had to take over for Santa. In A Flintstone Christmas, Santa breaks his leg and Fred has to take his place. Same thing in Babar and Father Christmas. I can't remember why exactly Babar had to take over.

A Christmas special that I've always loved is Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire. Homer doesn't get a Christmas bonus, and Marge spends all of the money they'd saved for Christmas on getting Bart's tattoo removed. Despite not being able to afford everything they wanted, the family still has a good Christmas. And the only Santa-related thing in the plot is when Homer gets a job as a department store Santa.