Something I just realized about Christmas specials

Drtooth

Reaction score
One sound I also associate with Christmas is one sadly never heard on TV anymore. You used to hear it other times of the year, too, but mostly around Christmas time when all the great specials came on. I speak, of course of this:

So iconic, Animaniacs made fun of it. And sadly, their version had better music.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ed Asner voice Santa on Johnny Bravo?

"Merry Christmas you pinhead, ROUND TWO is next year!"
I just saw it. I have that on like 2 DVD's (The Johnny Bravo Season 1 and the Second CN Christmas collection). I think it's Tom Bosley from Happy Days. I know it's not Ed. Definitely not.

Piggy The Frog

Reaction score
Another special that I love is A Garfield Christmas.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but the Clapper commercial always takes me back to when I was a kid, watching Christmas specials. I saw it the other day, and I swear it's been the exact same commercial for 25 years! The same people in it and everything!

charlietheowl

Reaction score
My sister told me the other day that the Clapper commercials made her sad because "all the people in them are obviously dead by now". :smirk:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just saw it. I have that on like 2 DVD's (The Johnny Bravo Season 1 and the Second CN Christmas collection). I think it's Tom Bosley from Happy Days. I know it's not Ed. Definitely not.
It's been so long, I rully need to see that again (yeah, lame of me not picking up the Season 1 DVD). I too have a CN Christmas collection, but I doubt it's the same one - this one includes the half-hour Christmas special (Van Partible's return to the series), and I think the guy who did Mr. Bleakman on Clifford did Santa's voice in that one.

snichols1973

Reaction score
After watching the first Garfield Christmas special, I'm still puzzled about what present Jon's mom got; his dad got a hat, Grandma got a new bowling ball and rediscovered letters, Doc Boy got a toy airplane, Jon got a sweater, and Garfield got a homemade back-scratcher....

Piggy The Frog

Reaction score
After watching the first Garfield Christmas special, I'm still puzzled about what present Jon's mom got; his dad got a hat, Grandma got a new bowling ball and rediscovered letters, Doc Boy got a toy airplane, Jon got a sweater, and Garfield got a homemade back-scratcher....
Good question... I've seen it many times, but I have no idea.

Edit: I just found that scene on Youtube. Jon's mom does get a present, because we clearly see her start to unwrap it. When it jumps to after everybody's opened their presents, there's nothing in the room that resembles a present that she would have gotten, just the others' presents and bits of wrapping paper on the floor.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's been so long, I rully need to see that again (yeah, lame of me not picking up the Season 1 DVD). I too have a CN Christmas collection, but I doubt it's the same one - this one includes the half-hour Christmas special (Van Partible's return to the series), and I think the guy who did Mr. Bleakman on Clifford did Santa's voice in that one.
I never managed to pick that one up. Of course, I was also humongously disappointed in the Halloween DVD having NOT Halloween episodes of Dexter's Lab and Cow and Chicken. But I got the other 2 Christmas ones.