1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Songs of Joe Raposo

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by BlueFrackle, Mar 3, 2003.

1. mikebennidict New Member

i get a good feelinf a good deal of those old films with Raposo's music whether he sang on them or not were either from season 1 or at least one of the 1st few seasons. they quality of those fims make me think they're some of the oldest ones on the show.
  2. Dantecat Active Member

That's True Mike! ;)
  3. fozziefan New Member

I didn't realize that was Joe Roposo singing those songs until now. I knew he was a writer but that was it. Anyhow, now that I realize what his voice sounded like, I'm wondering if he did any songs for The Electric Company. It would make sense since they're both CTW shows. I can think of two songs "Silent E" and "LY" that sound like his voice. What does everyone else think?
  4. MuppetDude Active Member

Actually, those two TEC songs were sung by Tom Lehrer.
  5. fozziefan New Member

Thanks for the info! :)
  6. Teankun New Member

How could any one not mention "Sing" and "Being Green" ?
    I recall on a "Seseme Street" special called "Sesme Street Remembers Joe Raposo" they showed footage of him singing both songs as well as "Somebody Come and Play"
  7. fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

more Joe songs

I'm surprised nobody else came up with

What Do You Do When You're A Kangaroo
    Pretty Baby (with the kissing rhinos!)
    Eating (which he double-tracks his voice to sound like he's harmonizing with himself)
    Goodbye Garbage!

Some other instrumental pieces for animals:
    Hawk (kind of gloomy)
    Grasshopper (nice waltz with piano and harpsichord)

Too many others to mention, but they're all wonderful. Not a bad one in the bunch!
  8. MuppetDude Active Member

If you're referring to the clip in episode #198, Joe doesn't sing "Goodbye Garbage!"
  9. fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

more from Joe

Well, if Joe didn't sing "Goodbye Garbage", who did?

Some others to add to the ever-expanding list:

Feeling Alright With Five (with footage of swimming pengiuns)

and some more animal instrumentals:
    Giraffe (very jazzy with flute and vibes)
    Seahorse (later reused with footage of a snake)
    Snake #1 (looks like a rattlesnake)
    Snake #2 (a green python climbing to the top branch in a tree)
    Leopard (another jazzy fave)
    Lions #1 (footage of lions in the zoo)
    Lions #2 (footage of lions in the wild, introduced with a child voiceover, "Lions eating dinner!) Both lion clips have different music, but on each Joe is WAILING on his harmonica
    Gazelle
    Gibbon (nice piano waltz showing him swinging on his bars, with big applause and cheering at the end)

Music featuring Joe whistling and playing piano, accompanying footage of various birds. Later used for a clip with a lizard. Then a fuller score with more instruments added showing marmosets jumping around in their cage.

Music score used for both lizards and elephants (showing a kid feeding the elephant peanuts), used in the very first episode, showing two of different animals.

There was also a skit with Bert and Ernie scratching each other's back, and Ernie yells, "Okay, everybody scratch!" Then we see various clips of animals in the zoo scratching themselves (including some monkeys in unmentionable places!) Then back to Bert and Ernie, and Beautiful Day comes in and scratches Ernie's back. Ernie turns around to see who it is, and is struck dumb!

I'll probably remember more, and post them as they come to me. How big will this list be when we're done? :)
  10. mikebennidict New Member

i know that had to have been someone else than Raposo unless he altered his voice. o thought it might of been Harry Nielson but i think that's wrong as well.
  11. BipBippadotta New Member

I believe he wrote the music for Fat Cat Sat Hat too. Can anyone verify this?
    I wonder if this is the only Bip song he did.
  12. Boober_Gorg Active Member

I think he also did "Some, None, All."
  13. Convincing John Well-Known Member

Here's a couple more Raposo tunes not heard on Sesame Street...but Raposo tunes nonetheless:

The theme song from "Three's Company" "Come and knock on our door..."

http://www.peppermint-rose.com/three/song.html

And another Raposo song is called "The Square Song". Oddly enough, it's not heard on "Sesame Street" but in one of my all-time favorite films, "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Check it out:

http://www.amazon.imdb.com/title/tt0075860/soundtrack

Raposo is credited as "Joseph Raposo" for that tune. The only way to hear it is to watch the movie.

Convincing John
  14. samtherobot New Member

On www.bmi.com he's listed as having 452 'work titles!' and some of them are lumped together, i.e. "Sesame St Background Music." But all the songs are there- you just have to sift through a bit. He also wrote some great music for "Raggedy Ann and Andy, A Musical Adventure," another great piece of trippy 70's nostalgia.
  15. dustinrn New Member

take a breath?
  16. PiLfan Member

i was wondering the same thing.

maybe joe was just using a funny voice for that bit, but i remember whoever it was singing that weird ditty sounding waaay different than songs like "everybody sleeps", etc.

:confused:
  17. hooperdusty New Member

The Square Song

Hi!

I think this tune did, in fact, air on "Sesame Street" during it's first season.

I have a record called SUSAN SINGS SONGS FROM SESAME STREET (tongue-twister of a title, eh?), and this song is featured.

Plus there was an ersatz Sesame Street record featuring children singing throughout and it was called SESAME STREET/THE SQUARE SONG (12" LP). So, between the two of these, I think that's proof that the song was on the show at some point.

Also, I have a record by the Boston Pops Symphony dedicated to Raposo's songs, entitled YOU WILL BE MY MUSIC. Haven't played it in years, but if anybody wants a CDR of it, write to me at hooperdusty@netzero.net
  18. mikebennidict New Member

interesting take om a raposo tune.

the song about animals and their babies. you know the 1 that goes like cat have kitten, dogs have pups etc. and remember The Electric Company sign song that went like in, stop, park, walk etc. the opening of both songs found similer.
  19. SesameMike Member

One line from the song I couldn't quite make out:
    "Deer, have pretty fawn, often pad and wad and warm"

After that:
    "Cows have calves, and I'll bet you didn't know, that elephants have calves too"

Final verse:
    "Pigs have piglets, and in case you didn't know, I've another fact for you.
    Goats have kids, like people have kids, like me....., and you."
  20. MuppetDude Active Member

"Ducks have ducklings, often paddling 'round the lawn."