Songs of Joe Raposo

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i get a good feelinf a good deal of those old films with Raposo's music whether he sang on them or not were either from season 1 or at least one of the 1st few seasons. they quality of those fims make me think they're some of the oldest ones on the show.

fozziefan

Reaction score
I didn't realize that was Joe Roposo singing those songs until now. I knew he was a writer but that was it. Anyhow, now that I realize what his voice sounded like, I'm wondering if he did any songs for The Electric Company. It would make sense since they're both CTW shows. I can think of two songs "Silent E" and "LY" that sound like his voice. What does everyone else think?

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Actually, those two TEC songs were sung by Tom Lehrer.

Teankun

Reaction score
How could any one not mention "Sing" and "Being Green" ?
I recall on a "Seseme Street" special called "Sesme Street Remembers Joe Raposo" they showed footage of him singing both songs as well as "Somebody Come and Play"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
more Joe songs

I'm surprised nobody else came up with

What Do You Do When You're A Kangaroo
Pretty Baby (with the kissing rhinos!)
Eating (which he double-tracks his voice to sound like he's harmonizing with himself)
Goodbye Garbage!

Some other instrumental pieces for animals:
Hawk (kind of gloomy)
Grasshopper (nice waltz with piano and harpsichord)

Too many others to mention, but they're all wonderful. Not a bad one in the bunch!

MuppetDude

Reaction score
If you're referring to the clip in episode #198, Joe doesn't sing "Goodbye Garbage!"

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
more from Joe

Well, if Joe didn't sing "Goodbye Garbage", who did?

Some others to add to the ever-expanding list:

Feeling Alright With Five (with footage of swimming pengiuns)

and some more animal instrumentals:
Giraffe (very jazzy with flute and vibes)
Seahorse (later reused with footage of a snake)
Snake #1 (looks like a rattlesnake)
Snake #2 (a green python climbing to the top branch in a tree)
Leopard (another jazzy fave)
Lions #1 (footage of lions in the zoo)
Lions #2 (footage of lions in the wild, introduced with a child voiceover, "Lions eating dinner!) Both lion clips have different music, but on each Joe is WAILING on his harmonica
Gazelle
Gibbon (nice piano waltz showing him swinging on his bars, with big applause and cheering at the end)

Music featuring Joe whistling and playing piano, accompanying footage of various birds. Later used for a clip with a lizard. Then a fuller score with more instruments added showing marmosets jumping around in their cage.

Music score used for both lizards and elephants (showing a kid feeding the elephant peanuts), used in the very first episode, showing two of different animals.

There was also a skit with Bert and Ernie scratching each other's back, and Ernie yells, "Okay, everybody scratch!" Then we see various clips of animals in the zoo scratching themselves (including some monkeys in unmentionable places!) Then back to Bert and Ernie, and Beautiful Day comes in and scratches Ernie's back. Ernie turns around to see who it is, and is struck dumb!

I'll probably remember more, and post them as they come to me. How big will this list be when we're done? :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i know that had to have been someone else than Raposo unless he altered his voice. o thought it might of been Harry Nielson but i think that's wrong as well.