Songs of Joe Raposo

Ziffel

Reaction score
How about the song, "We're a family"? Was that also by Joe Raposo? I think this song played in a film that showed a family on a small boat or canoe. The words went sort of like, "And we're a family (pronounced with some emphasis on the ly ) a family , a family, a family, a family, a family, same with my mother and my brother and my sister and my cousin and my father and me. We're a family." This is not to be confused with some anything muppets singing the song, "And we're a family, a family, a family, each likes the other sister brother mother father. And dog came later on. And so did the cat and the goldfish and the turtle and the frog and the car. Till we moved and we sold it."

Ziffel

Reaction score
Just looking at the site Wikipedia.org with their article on Joe Raposo and saw this sentence : "Raposo passed away in 1989. Many diehard fans linked his death to the start of a constant shrinkage of the irreverence that originally helped the show's popularity."
Interesting statement. While we have definitely talked about how vintage SS was more clever and how modern SS has become more sanitized, I'm not sure I fully understand what they mean by older SS being more irreverent. And by saying this started after Joe died seems to imply that he himself made irreverent contributions. But when I think of his songs, (eg. Pretty Baby, Somebody Come and Play, Me in my mirror, Long Hard Climb) irreverence isn't a word I would use to describe them. Anyone have any thoughts on the above quoted statement from Wikipedia?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
How about the song, "We're a family"? Was that also by Joe Raposo? I think this song played in a film that showed a family on a small boat or canoe. The words went sort of like, "And we're a family (pronounced with some emphasis on the ly ) a family , a family, a family, a family, a family, same with my mother and my brother and my sister and my cousin and my father and me. We're a family." This is not to be confused with some anything muppets singing the song, "And we're a family, a family, a family, each likes the other sister brother mother father. And dog came later on. And so did the cat and the goldfish and the turtle and the frog and the car. Till we moved and we sold it."
Also, how about this song:

When I'm hungry, I eat. When I'm thirsty, I drink. There's a hook on all the fish I catch. And when I'm itchy, I scratch.
When I'm tired, I sleep. When I'm sneaky, I creep. I get my fires lit up with a match. And when I'm itchy, I scratch.
Hey buzz off fly just stay away! Who needs you on a sticky summer day! I don't know what you could possibly see in me. And I don't need such irritating company!
Now when I'm happy, I laugh. When I'm sad, I cry. I get my melons in the melon patch. And when I'm itchy, I scratch. Yeah I get my melons in the melon patch. And when I'm itchy, I scratch.

Is that by Joe Raposo? My guess is the "family" one mentioned above is but that this one is not (the voice just sounds too deep. but maybe he purposely made his voice like that for a "tougher" animal sound).

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I'm sure all of those songs were written by him including that 1 since most of those films were made durring the 1st few seasons though it sounds like somebody else was sings that 1. if you have looked over some of my early films listings I do mention some that other sung.

Rosewood

Reaction score
How could anyone say such a thing?

Ziffel said:
Just looking at the site Wikipedia.org with their article on Joe Raposo and saw this sentence : "Raposo passed away in 1989. Many diehard fans linked his death to the start of a constant shrinkage of the irreverence that originally helped the show's popularity."
Interesting statement. But when I think of his songs, (eg. Pretty Baby, Somebody Come and Play, Me in my mirror, Long Hard Climb) irreverence isn't a word I would use to describe them. Anyone have any thoughts on the above quoted statement from Wikipedia?
I agree. Unless someone writing the article made a missprint or a foopa, I don't see how any of Joes songs could be seen as "Irreverent". Mabey they meant "many diehard fans linked his death to the increase of irreverence on the show, and the start of a constant shrinkage of [the broadcasting of] his work, that originally [had been a major factor in the way it] helped the shows popularity." That would make alot more sense to me.

BTW- Dont forget "Rock-a-by Baby" w/ the Koala bear &
"If I could only paddle, like a doggie auta paddle, I would paddle my way to you!" :smile:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
BTW- Dont forget "Rock-a-by Baby" w/ the Koala bear
That's actually Caroll Spinney, believe it or not ... sort of a low-octave Big Bird.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Its a long hard climb?

Just out of curiosity, is this the same tune used in the current song, "Its a long, hard road; but I'm gonna get there!" It shows different scenarios of kids learning to do things like walk, run, ride a bike, ect. :confused:

Ziffel

Reaction score
One song that just came to mind from early 70's SS that was definitely Joe's voice had the word "fancy" throughout. Not sure what the title is (maybe it's "Fancy") or if the title has been listed in this thread before. I think animals, like a lot of his SS songs, were shown throughout the song.

Also his song, "I'm an aardvark" takes on a new neat meaning for me this week, having been able to watch the ant and aardvark cartoons again!

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
Just out of curiosity, is this the same tune used in the current song, "Its a long, hard road; but I'm gonna get there!" It shows different scenarios of kids learning to do things like walk, run, ride a bike, ect. :confused:
Yes. The original version was accompanying a film of a tree-frog climbing a tree.

Here it is (it expires in 7 days).

BEAR

Reaction score
I just bought a really cool Joe Raposo songbook. It has a whole bunch of songs in it that he wrote for Sesame Street and other projects. I am grateful to have found it. How rare is that?