Spammers at MC...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Katz. Just took care of that one and a few others.

unclematt

Reaction score
I am for anything that will help out The Count. Even if shutting down the new registrations for a while doesn't solve the problem it will give The Count a well deserved break from the spammers.

unclematt

Reaction score
And prevent new people from joining.
I understand that but it wouldn't be a pemanent shut down. It would just be done long enough to help cut back the Spammers. I am sure there is a way to let people know that this is not a permanent measure and that we will be back up shortly. I think we need to look at the ultimate good of the site.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hmm...I hesitate because we don't want to scare off new members. On the other hand, I had a similar problem once, and taking away access for awhile did help clear it up.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I know some websites require a mod to activate someones account when they join. Would it be possible to tell if someone is a spammer this way?

unclematt

Reaction score
Sometime you can tell they are a spammer just by how they answer the favorites questions. you will see the word test alot.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know, mod activation for a new member's account wouldn't be a bad idea. But then we'd get messages asking why an account hasn't been activated after some time. Though that could be taken care of in the very same new member registration notifications I receive, which I check to see if a spammer has become a member, and if they have any invisible posts all in need of deleting.

We do have the post approval system set up here on MC, which is why the spam has been kept to a minimum. That stuff gets nixed almost immediately now by the mod squad members.

Thanks for your help and support in keeping MC a fun place for one and all.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
urUxGak

The one above is a spammer. I think we should get an audio sample or one of those twisty letter things to make people read/listen to and enter in order to activate an account.

unclematt

Reaction score
Is it possible to get one of those twisty letter things?