Speculation: Potential Sequel for "The Muppets"

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm just worried they're rushing this. I don't want them to start filming until they got the script perfect. I'm willing to wait another three years for another movie, I just want them to take their time and not rush the script just so they can have the movie out soon.
I'm growing less and less worried that this would be rushed as a script. I mean, I wouldn't mind too much if this came out in 2014 if some production delay arises or there's a hold up approving the script, but I'm sure they kicked around ideas since the last film was in production, and they probably have a better handle on the characters by now. And I'm also guessing Muppets Studio has more of a hands on process this time. This film seems "rushed" only because Jason and the rest were working on The Muppets script for years before Disney took notice of it. They could have easily made "Cheapest" if they didn't have a perfectly good script lying around. All the script needed was tweaks to fit in with brand uniformity (the references to them being puppets being tossed out. And don't pretend like that wasn't a good thing), and it was good to go. If anything was rushed with the last movie, it was the post production and editing.

Hopefully both the editors and script writers learned their lesson this time and put the meat of the plot first, and the gags second.

By the way is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of hearing "Jason Segal" won't have any involvement in the film? :rolleyes:
Jason's getting a little more credit than he deserves, and it's his name and stance in Hollywood that helped the film along. But Stoller and Bobin made the film as well. It was a team effort, and if Jason wants to move on, that's his bag. It doesn't need to be continuously reported, though, I agree. The film can do just as well with just Bobin and Stoller. And whatever ghost writer from Muppet Studios they'd no doubt have to make the script fit the characters.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
That's what I mean...some people think the Muppets are gonna totally fall flat on their faces without Jason working on the film or having any involvement at all. Even the comments on YouTube are like "OMG JASON ISN'T GONNA BE IN IT?" Not realizing that Jason just wanted to get the Muppets relaunched and that was it nothing more. But I agree with you it was a team effort it wasn't all Jason despite it was him who pushed and pushed until Disney finally gave the "ok."

I am hoping now the Muppets in this film can shine on their own without too many celebrities. Yes I know part of the appeal is celebrity cameos and while I understand that they were needed in the last film I don't think their as much needed now.

Hubert

Reaction score
It's funny, I keep thinking back to that time last November when some little girl told me that she was going to see the new movie because her big sister has a crush on Jason Segel... :stick_out_tongue:

Though for some reason I think that many people did actually go to see the movie just because Jason Segel was in it, possibly he made the movie "cool" or something...and now that he's not in it, people are having a hard time coping with it. When you think about it, to a new fan who is watching the Muppets for one of the first times, Jason probably did look like a new, staple human character in the Muppet world.

I'm just waiting for people to start saying "OMG JIM PARSONS ISN'T GOING TO BE IN IT?""

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Don't even get me started on the whole Jim Parsons thing. -_- But that's okay cause I'm gonna see the movie till the time it opens till it leaves the theater and then wait another torturing 3-4 months AGAIN for it to come out on blu-ray. :stick_out_tongue:

I'm not saying that people didn't go see the last film cause of Jason or even Amy but I can tell you the times that I went people were laughing at the Muppets. And when Kermit came on screen I literally heard a kid say out loud Kermit's name. All I wanted to say the parents "good job for raising that child right." LOL I mean that's what it's all about to me.

Hubert

Reaction score
Same with me...it just makes me sick how many people thought he was the highlight of the movie...

As for the rushing thing: I have mixed views on it. For one, I feel like Bobin and Stoller are now experienced enough to move at a faster pace, which is great. Yet at the same time, I still fear that over-confidence could be an issue, to the point where they feel so confident from this past movie that they do a more lackluster job under the belief that it is good. I don't want to sound like I'm picking them out as any kind of bad people, but it even happens to the best of us.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Well I can tell you fans outside any of the Muppet forums were also worried about hearing James taking on to direct another movie. People were worried thinking he was gonna take on that first which meant the Muppet movie was gonna be pushed back even more. Or some people thought the script they were working on was completely scrapped. But like I said I never lost faith and that wasn't even confirmed by James himself so I took that with a grain of salt. Now he might still be taking on that project that was reported but maybe that one has hit some road blocks. Who knows but it's obvious James and Nicholas really wanna do this so I say CHARGE!!!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Oh yeah good question I forgot about him. Haha! James and Nicholas said they were really hoping to get him back. Someone asked Nicholas back in April if it was gonna be a musical and his words were "Yes are you kidding me? You can't have a Muppet movie and it NOT be a musical."

Hubert

Reaction score
Post liked because of that quote at the end.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I think their in good hands. Although I will say Nicholas did say he wanted Jason to see the script when it was done. :stick_out_tongue: