Spider-Man/Muppets Fanfic: The Spectacular

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Epilogue

Peter Parker was more open to the idea of one’s life flashing before one’s eyes when death was imminent. But his own death was not imminent, and it was not the entirety of his existence that he was experiencing. It was simply the most recent days.

He saw himself, Mary Jane, Aunt May, and the Stacy family surrounding the gravesites of Harry Osborn, Pete (Jenny’s father), Quentin Fitzwaller, Curt Connors, and Mickey Mouse. Also there were the Muppets, Jenny, Ronnie Crawford, the Thomas family, the family from Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends, Edward Morbius, April O’Neil, the family of Curt Connors, the Tennysons, the Possible family, the Stoppable family, the family from Hawaii, the Rescue Rangers, Scrooge McDuck and his family, Darkwing Duck and his, and every single person that Mickey Mouse had worked with during his illustrious career. Minnie Mouse was there as well, practically losing control of herself during the entire funeral—but Kermit was there to calm her down.

Kermit was quite emotional himself at the event, but not as much as Minnie had been. Mickey was a very dear friend of his. They’d been friends long before they ever became members of F.A.S.A. He practically learned everything from his old pal, more than just magic. He learned how to live a marvelous life. Kermit wouldn’t ever forget what Mickey told him the day he and his friends first came to his famous theme park:

One thing we can agree on is that magic and dreams are what brought you and me to life.

How ironic that sentiment became as of that very moment. Kermit wasn’t absolutely certain if magic should be blamed for the death of his good friend. He wasn’t even certain if the source of his own newfound powers—his dreams—would one day lead on to his own death. But Kermit couldn’t just abandon what was keeping him, his friends, and his family living. He might just be what was keeping Mickey’s friends and family living. It was quite a burden to have—something that Mickey carried during his lifetime. But if that means Kermit would have to be “The Manhattan Marvel” for the rest of his life, then so be it. It was what Mickey would’ve wanted him to do.

As far as everyone else went, life after all they went through just seemed like another beginning.

Gonzo wondered if his alien family would ever be safe without the Ambassador of Earth, Ed Singer (a.k.a. “Zongo”), after he had completely lost his second identity crashing to the planet. He could barely believe what he was seeing as Ed was hauled away by a group of white-suited men, screaming that he almost saved the world from an alien threat if Gonzo and his friends hadn’t interfered. Oddly enough, the white-suited men were being led by a bald, African American man with a black eye patch and goatee and a redheaded Russian female. The weirdo had asked which psychiatric ward that they were taking Singer to, but none of the men even bothered to disclose their information as they drove away with Singer, dressed up in a straight jacket, in the back of their black van.

Bobo, Butch, and Clyde felt like they were free again to do whatever they wanted, with Singer in the nuthouse and Agent Ryan taken off to jail for being an unlicensed taxi driver (something he swore would be taken care of with one call to General Luft). They were surprised to discover how quickly the Muppets, the family from Hawaii, and the Tennysons had forgiven them for joining the “dark side” that was C.O.V.N.E.T. and putting them through some horrible moments with Singer and Ryan. The three former C.O.V.ies just assumed their forgiveness came from the wonderful deed that they had done, saving Stanley and Robin (a deed that was actually done by Kermit, who decided to give all the credit to those three).

The Thomas family could not have been happier. Lori was back to normal again, after injecting herself with the other antidote that Edward gave her the moment she saw the sun come up. Sean had gained a huge respect for her friend, who practically saved his life with that antidote of his. He was just as relieved as April O’Neil was to know that he wasn’t the one responsible for the murders that Professor Krassman committed. It should’ve been obvious the moment that even he became a lizard creature that he could never really kill anyone, because he never really killed his sister during their battle. And now he was human again, he felt like as much of a better person than ever before, knowing that there would always be good in him no matter what strange occurrence came his way. That much was certain as he allowed Stanley to keep his new pet iguana (Krassman) in his own plastic aquarium.

And as far as Jenny went, her new life would begin very soon with Ronnie, as they would get married as soon as the final performance of Manhattan Melodies II was taken care of. She was looking forward again to the joyous event, after all that had occurred in recent days. Even as she stood before her father’s grave, she was very hopeful of her future. She knew that Pete would always be with her in her heart or watching over her from heaven, making sure Ronnie was doing his job as a husband. He was still the best man to them…always and forever.

The caskets of the five men were in the ground. Every person that had attended dropped some flowers into the graves in respect for them all.

Gwen Stacy was standing there, now an austere, more thoughtful, no-nonsense young woman. She stood next to her father, across the lawn from Peter and M.J. and Aunt May. Gwen and Peter eyed each other, and she moved toward him, while Peter moved away from Mary Jane and toward Gwen. Mary Jane and Gwen exchanged a look and smile. Peter and Gwen, facing one another, spoke not a word between them. There was forgiveness and understanding between them, as they embraced. Then Gwen looked again toward Mary Jane. She moved to M.J. and hugged her as well.

As all parties at the cemetery affirmed their affection and support to each other, Peter mused to himself…

The air is clear today. The lessons have been learned, but not easily…and they will be taught again…they are those things we know but often get forgotten along the way. That all we have that truly matters in this world is the love of our friends and our family, and that they are worthy of the highest trait that we can aspire to: our forgiveness. That is the gift my friend Harry gave me.

Peter’s world spun forward once more, and he heard the final number of the final Manhattan Melodies II performance at the Muppet Theatre. It was a song that the performers were dedicating to the good friends that had departed from their lives:

Saying goodbye, going away
Seems like goodbye’s such a hard thing to say
Touching our hands, wondering why
It’s time for saying goodbye.

Everyone who had attended the funeral was there for the final performance. Mary Jane was singing on stage—her involvement in the special show a decision by both Ronnie Crawford and Kermit the Frog themselves—standing with all of the Muppets, hand in hand, while bathed in a soft spotlight. She was wearing a rather simple but divine gown.

It was a full house inside the theatre that evening. The song and the soft mood of the room captured the audience. In the front of the building was a poster showing the Muppets’ marvelous image over a beautiful Manhattan skyline with a huge star below the skyline. In that star-shaped figure was Mary Jane’s attractive, enchanting photograph. Above it was, of course, the title of the show, and below it were the words, “Featuring the Return of Mary Jane Watson.” In very small letters below that were the words, “Nuff said.”

Peter saw the image of Mary Jane before entering the theatre. While he was entering, Mary Jane kept singing along with the Muppets…

Somehow I know, we’ll meet again
Not sure quite where and I don’t know just when
You’re in my heart, so until then…

As she sang, she smiled, surprised and pleased, upon seeing Peter standing in the doorway.

She stopped singing, and it wasn’t very long before the Muppets and the band had as well. Everyone in the audience murmured amongst each other, wondering what the interruption was all about. Even Ronnie and Jenny, as they stood stage right, were wondering as well. But that wasn’t until Peter approached the stage when they all realized what the interruption was all about.

It’s about a boyfriend, some people thought.

It’s a proposal, some others had believed.

Of course, both halves were correct in their beliefs. Peter was Mary Jane’s boyfriend…fiancé, if there was still some magic between the two…and he was proposing for a dance with the lovely lady.

She waited and then moved away from the Muppets and off the stage. The spotlight had never left her. It continued to shine brightly over both her and Peter as they met and slowly came together to dance as the Muppets moved into a different and much happier song.

Together again
Gee, it’s good to be together again
I just can’t imagine that you’ve ever been gone!
It’s not starting over, it’s just going on!

Peter smiled, realizing how that was the perfect song to relate to what he was going through now. He suddenly understood why his life or at least recent events were flashing before his eyes. It wasn’t because he was on the edge of death. It was because he was on the edge of finally living.

After a few moments he brought his cheek close to hers and whispered, “We have a lot to talk about.”

“Let’s not talk about the relationship. Just shut up and dance.”

And as they did…And in his mind’s eye…Peter saw Spider-Man swinging across the city, through its cavernous streets, and Mary Jane was in his arms, laughing in delight.

And all was as it should be.

Together again
Now we’re here and there’s no need remembering when
‘Cause no feeling feels like that feeling.
Together-a
Together-a
Together-a
Together again…!
Together again!

The MARVELOUS Muppets​

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Here I was gonna give you a standing ovation for such a great story... And you bring it home in such a powerfully positive manner that demands quiet approval instead.
Yes, quiet approval... But approval nonetheless.

Thank you Sean for this Marvelous trilogy. Until the next time you should decide to grace us with your wit and your writing, I shall remain eagerly reding.

*Steps out and disappears into the shadows of the very night itself.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey there Sean, I just caught up and I absolutely LOVED it! A truly, pardon the cliche, MARVELOUS finish! Great job pal! Truly awesome.

muppetwriter

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, everybody. I really had a marvelous time writing what was the longest story I've ever written since I'd joined this board. In my opinion, it truly lived up to its title.:smile:

I'll probably come back to it sometime in the future with some commentary and (maybe) some "deleted scenes" that I thought were too unimportant for the main plot or subplots in the tale. If there were to be a "Spider-Man 4", then it could be quite a challenge for me, considering that much of what they could've included into a possible fourth film was in my story.

What I will say about a possible fourth Spidey/Muppets crossover story is that it could be centered much further on the death of Benjamin "Uncle Ben" Parker, which I've revealed in my version was mainly caused by this mysterious character named Russell.

But that's another issue that'll have to be resolved later. In the meantime, I hope you all anxiously await for more of "The Silver Crystal" and my upcoming, first-ever "MARVELOUS Storyteller" story, as well as other future stories.:wink: