SpongeBob SquarePants

Luke kun

Reaction score
My brother is going to go see it today with his friends. I'm requesting him to do "trailer riffing" (riffing on the trailers before the movie) and maybe on the actual movie. I know when they went to see Night at the Museum 3, they commented on the Spongebob trailer before the film...they said that the characters were MEN! (first SB movie reference)

The first Spongebob movie aired today on Nick...maybe to get everyone hyped up for the second movie? I think that this movie will pick up where the first one left off.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's funny. For a movie Nickelodeon purposely made 3-D, they had such an awful distribution of 3-D versions of the film. Only 2 theaters near me even had them, and the one I tried to see the movie only had 1 theater that even had the 3-D showing, and it's a large theater. So I couldn't go cause the thing was sold out over a half hour before the showing. I'm pretty angry about it, since I had to go well out of my way for the 3-D showing, otherwise I'd go to the smaller, more intimate theater that not enough people go to to sell a friggin movie out at 3 on a friggin Saturday to see it.

All I can say is, I hope after all that trouble, this movie gets high on the weekend BO. Personally, I hope it tops it and Jupiter Ascending freaking bombs. That's where all the 3-D's going. That freaking thing.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score

Luke kun

Reaction score
My brother told me that they made a Doctor Who reference as a dolphin was a Time Lord in the film. XD

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Wow, I'm so glad to hear that the movie's doing well.:smile: It's getting me more excited about it! I can't wait to see it tomorrow.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
It is so far at around $15 million, far above The Matrix IN SPAAAAAAACE. It should at least break even seeing as it has a modest $60 mil. budget.
Better the heck.

THIS was the only day I could see it because of yet another 2 foot nightmare storm, our third one this year, nay this month and I'm pretty angry about it. Next weekend looks like garbage too, so that's out, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I finally got a chance to see it on a slow weekday, and early to boot. Went from couldn't get into the film to one quiet family.

All I can say is this. If you like Spongebob but felt the show has been faltering lately, I'd this is exactly the same turn around the Simpsons movie had when it came out around the time of the show. Far better than the show's current writing, and something worthy of a 90 minute movie. I liked it just about as much as the last one, I'd say probably give or take, and it was definately watching in 3-D because of something I hope isn't too spoilery...

The live action and 3-D segments of the movie they're advertising? They're really only like the last half hour of the film. So you get to see some great 2-D tradigital animation popping out at you. Not selling the 3-D CGI segments short, where they're done right and the only human character interaction is with Antonio Bandaras's character.

Now, to get things off the bat, yes it is basically a Plankton steals the Krabby Patty story, but with a very interesting twist. Without giving too much away, there's some great moments with Spongebob and Plankton.

Oh, and they did something really nice here. The film is dedicated to Ernest Borgnine. That was sweet of them.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
(Warning: Spoilers!!)

I saw the movie this weekend and...eh...I thought it was cute..of course there were some parts that had typical SpongeBob humor and some that I really enjoyed (especially the scenes above water!). I loved the song SpongeBob and Plankton sang together about teamwork ("Tee-am??"), and their friendship in the film too.:smile:

Like what most people said, I just wish that the cg scenes would've been longer. I'm also pretty bummed that they didn't keep Thank Gosh it's Monday (would've been perfect for the beginning of the film!). :/

But overall, it's still such an enjoyable and feel good film and it is certainly much better than the current episodes on the show. XD