SS special on PBS (Oct. 24th, 9:00-10:30 PM)

JoeyMuppet

Reaction score
TheJimHensonHour said:
You know I never really thought of it before but you know if he was still here on earth with us I bet you anything he'd be a member of Muppet Central and talking to us all.
All and all wonderfull program saw sooo many things I would never have seen other wise.:smile:
I agree.

Drtooth

Reaction score
heralde said:
Drtooth, believe me, it's a little of both.
Indeed it was. I almost wish they did more with lighter co-productions, like the Japanese series. But this wasn't just about all the different co-productions they make, just the most current ones that have real significance.

Personally, I like how it wasn't filled with a bunch of pointless dubbed clips (mainly because Shaloam Sesame terrified me with Hebrew Number Pinball which took me years to get over). BTW, as far as the "20 years and counting" Rubber Duckie International clip, I know the Second Ernie is Spanish... what was the Third Ernie sining in? His voice was WAAAAY off... sounded like Toad from the Super Mario cartoons.

Some parts were just dark. That's our world. people are starving, dying in the streets while greedy craphead totalitarian fascists go around telling everyone to hate everyone else and profiteering from Granades and such. As much as I do not like what's going on in the US right now, it's freaking heavin compaired to those places.

I especially loved how they showed the Media sensationalism of Kami, thinking the HIV infected character was an AIDS infected character ment for US audiences. I Cracked up at Pat Bucchanan (sp?) with his "I'm a rich white guy in a country that does well enough for itself. Screw the poor, dying people of Africa, of which I know NOTHING about" commentary. Reminds me of the horrid flame war one ex-member sparked 3 years back. Please don't make me go into it anymore.:rolleyes:

But, some of it was funny, some of it inspiring, but most of it gutrenching. The part the Kosovarian co-production leaders talked about educating kids on finding hand grenades in the middle of abandoned buildings was horrible. And the Part Kami was talking about her mother's death and the memory box was pretty saddening. I dunno... it's bad when someone dies... but when it's a Muppet (Blind Pew not withstanding) there's something about it being much much sadder... they are as mortal as humans are, even though they aren't real people.

I especially loved Joan Cooney's interaction with the Bangladeshi production team about them having their own style of puppetry as a part of their show. I loved how she said, "Jim Henson loved all sorts of Puppetry from around the world."

BTW... That Blue monster from the African coproduction... He's one of my new favorties.... just for that scene he was entertaining the Bangladeshi team.

Now... if anyone has seen the actual film or owns the DVD... do they have any extra scenes PBS cut for time? The Disk said "Running time, 99minutes" and the program was like, 80 something after the openings and closings to Independant lense.

Also... I saw an advert for the special in a news paper, and Zeliboba was pictured in the ad. But yet the Russian co-production was mentioned in passing. Anyone else find that odd?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well I finally got a chance to see the rest of this special as my local PBS is re-airing it right now; I didn't think to start taping it, but now I've regretted that I didn't because there are some footage there that had really gained my attention and yes I'll admit it, it's the behind-the-scenes footage with the international Muppet characters, and Marty Robinson auditioning Muppeteers, Ed Christie showing how certain Muppets work, and Muppets being presented to the new Muppeteers.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
and Marty Robinson auditioning Muppeteers, Ed Christie showing how certain Muppets work, and Muppets being presented to the new Muppeteers.
That was my favorite part, the puppeteers from Bangladesh being given their characters, so sweet! The film editor of the documentary said it was the first scene she chose to work on. :smile:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
heralde said:
That was my favorite part, the puppeteers from Bangladesh being given their characters, so sweet!
I know, they literally were almost like little kids opening birthday or Christmas presents... and I don't blame them if someone gave me a Muppet-like puppet like that that I would be hired to play on a TV show, I would have the same expression on my face, lol!