SST Songs that drive you crazy

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Of course, I work that into the fact that Elmo's (as Tweety Bird puts it) only twee an' a haff years ode. If you ever notice little kids, they all do random stupid stuff like that. Especially when they sing (or shout in some cases).
This is true, but at three, you would think Elmo would realize how repetively annoying this whole thing can get. I mean, kids aren't stupid you know.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is true, but at three, you would think Elmo would realize how repetively annoying this whole thing can get. I mean, kids aren't stupid you know.
Ever been on a bus where a kid is screeching for attention 15 times in a row, or singing nonsense sylables for 10 minutes? And there's my personal favorite, kids under 4 who, in a movie theater, keep asking "mommy! MommY! Who's that man?"

A lot of kids don't realize they're annoying. :insatiable:

But then again, that jingle bells stuff was clearly meant as a running gag that unfortunately got absorbed into the show, and an element they can't take away or it will (apparently) confuse 1-3 year olds... :rolleyes:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
A lot of kids don't realize they're annoying.
And that's the problem. They need to.

an element they can't take away or it will (apparently) confuse 1-3 year olds... :rolleyes:
Let them be confused at first, I say, but then explain how times were different back when. I mean, we older generations did fine without Elmo hogging the screen, so why shouldn't they?

ISNorden

Reaction score
And that's the problem. They need to.

Let them be confused at first, I say, but then explain how times were different back when. I mean, we older generations did fine without Elmo hogging the screen, so why shouldn't they?
Amen. Before Elmo's World, the only Sesame Street characters who repeated words that often were the Yip Yip Martians (and they didn't get a guaranteed fifteen-minute spot). Running a gag like the "topic song" into the ground might amuse kids, but it also teaches them that talking/singing that way is cute and funny. Sesame Workshop has painted itself into a corner: if they keep using the topic song, kids will get the wrong idea. And if they remove it, the same kids will complain about Elmo not doing their favorite part of the clip... *shrug*

tutter_fan

Reaction score
Anything by Bip Bippadotta sends me into an almost uncontrollable burst of laughter!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Amen. Before Elmo's World, the only Sesame Street characters who repeated words that often were the Yip Yip Martians (and they didn't get a guaranteed fifteen-minute spot). Running a gag like the "topic song" into the ground might amuse kids, but it also teaches them that talking/singing that way is cute and funny. Sesame Workshop has painted itself into a corner: if they keep using the topic song, kids will get the wrong idea. And if they remove it, the same kids will complain about Elmo not doing their favorite part of the clip... *shrug*
It's a double-edged sword, fer sure.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anything by Bip Bippadotta sends me into an almost uncontrollable burst of laughter!

Yeah... must be all that hair.

What drove me crazy (laughing crazy) was the Spanish version of Everybody's song. Hearing someone say "Doobie doobie doobie doobie Doo-wah!" with a Spanish accent is hillarious. Trust me.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Hearing someone say "Doobie doobie doobie doobie Doo-wah!" with a Spanish accent is hillarious. Trust me.
I believe you. Most songs done in languages other than the original are funny.