SST to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award at 2009 Daytime Emmies

mr3urious

Reaction score
Even though the show has gone downhill for the longest time, SS still deserves the award.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Even though the show has gone downhill for the longest time, SS still deserves the award.
Yeah I mean that's what happens to every show, even great ones. That doesn't mean their contributions shouldn't be acknowledged. :smile:

zns

Reaction score
I don't think it's gone downhill at all. It's just trying to survive as much as possible due to the amount of other competitive children's shows that have made shows for preschoolers in that kind of format, like a so-called purple dinosaur and Latin-American girl.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well when shows try to survive, they often have to sacrifice some of what made them good in the first place, which is a shame.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well when shows try to survive, they often have to sacrifice some of what made them good in the first place, which is a shame.
Yeah, like how SS has cut back screentime of of some of it vintage characters. Ick!:grouchy:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I don't think it's gone downhill at all. It's just trying to survive as much as possible due to the amount of other competitive children's shows that have made shows for preschoolers in that kind of format, like a so-called purple dinosaur and Latin-American girl.
I was just being an old fart, is all. :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, like how SS has cut back screentime of of some of it vintage characters. Ick!:grouchy:
Exactly! I remember at the William Patterson event when a little girl said Oscar was her favorite and asked why so many characters aren't on the show anymore. These fans need to be listened to more. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's why every time I see Dora or Barney, I just cannot help thinking why children would rather watch that stuff. The format is so terrible with very little value in them that all those shows can do is sell, sell, sell (toys that is). Sorry for sounding so negative about them, but I truly think that Sesame Street deserves the credit for everything it has done.

Every time I see Barney, I cannot help but think... this guy's still on the air? Sure, I'll admit, it came out around the time my sister was a baby and she watched it. I initially didn't mind it. But 2 weeks or so in, I saw the show was repetitive, cheap looking (and feeling), and Barney had absolutely no personality. And the educational "value" was singing enough times to warrant multiple sound tracks. Why this is still on the air and still popular (his movie bombing should have signaled the end of his career, like most of those movies tend to do) is completely beyond me. I neither find him enjoyable nor engrossing, not even from a 2 year old's perspective. Even Dora has some appeal, due in part to her being a not Caucasian so that automatically makes her a role model. But an old 90's hasbeen?

I need NEED to get that book (Street gang)... but didn't they have a section about how they got in this new team that basically wanted to turn it into one of the dozens of Barney Clones out there? I think by "Down hill" we mean that the show unfortunately followed the downward sloping trend that other 1990's preschool shows were caving into at the time. Remember, in 1969 there was no Nick Jr. or Playhouse Disney. Pop unfortunately won the battle and effected the series, sure... Elmo has to be the "star" of the show so 2 year olds can keep interest in it. But THIS is a show that launched so, so much. An international sensation that even expanded into missions of peace (sure they sort of backfired in the Middle East). For that alone, they should get all the recognition and credit they deserve.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I'm with you. I also don't think it's gone downhill. It's still better than Dora or Barney. Those shows are just unwatchable!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
DId anybody see?

A whopping 15 nominations!

• Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series: Leslie Carrara-Rudolph as Abby Cadabby
• Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series: Kevin Clash as Elmo
• Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series: Chris Knowings as Chris Robinson
• Outstanding Performer in a Children's Series: Martin P. Robinson as Telly Monster
• Outstanding Pre-School Children's Series
• Outstanding Original Song - Childrens and Animation: "The Addition Expedition"
• Outstanding Original Song - Childrens and Animation: "Elmo's Ducks"
• Outstanding Original Song - Childrens and Animation: "I Don't Wanna Be a Prince"
• Outstanding Directing in a Children's Series
• Outstanding Achievement in Costume Desing / Styling
• Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction
• Outstanding Achievement in Music Direction and Composition
• Outstanding Achievement in Technical Direction / Electronic Camera / Video
• Outstanding Writing in a Children's Series
• New Approaches - Daytime Children's Entertainmen

By the way, loving the Marty Robeson and Chris nominations! Merty most then deserve one! Also love Abby pitted up against Elmo! Looks like there gigin Elmo a run for his money, eh'? :big_grin: