Star Wars Animated Shorts Coming to Cartoon Network

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got this is an e-mail. Thought some of you might find it interesting...

Picking up where Episode II left off, the saga of the Clone Wars will continue through animated shorts premiering this year from the Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm Ltd. Star Wars: Clone Wars will be a series of 20 animated shorts that will air on the Cartoon Network in 2003-2004 between other programming.

Helming this new series is Genndy Tartakovsky, the acclaimed creator of "Samurai Jack" and "Dexter's Laboratory." The episodic shorts will be two- to three-minutes in length and will air exclusively on Cartoon Network at regularly scheduled times beginning this fall.

For full details, plus the first-ever glimpse of artwork from Star Wars: Clone Wars, click here.

Tartakovsky took some time from his busy production schedule to speak with starwars.com.

"I was contacted because I've always been very vocal that I'm a Star Wars fan and would love to work on it," he said. "So, the Cartoon Network came up to me and asked me to put a little pitch together. We came up with this idea of doing a Clone Wars-style story with a Band of Brothers-feel to it -- where it's episodes of different battles and strategies during the Clone Wars. We went up to Lucasfilm and pitched it, and everyone enjoyed it, and it just came together."
http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/02/news20030220.html

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
i don't know if i think that's awesome or really weird...it is one of those things you would have to see how good they actually are!

Sarah

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!

Genndy Tartakovsky's stuff wasn't that impressive to me on Dexter's Lab, but Samurai Jack, though I don't really like the story, has an extremely cool style of animation. Also Tartakovsky is known to experiment with his new projects, so we'll see what he and his team pull out of the hat for this. :smile:

I'm so excited!! :big_grin: :big_grin:

-Matt

Bulldawg

Reaction score
i was curious as to how they were gonna keep people "talking about star wars" until the final movie came out in 2005.

now seeing that this will run from 2003-2004..im betting it will get a nice dvd treatment in late 2004 or early 2005. maybe even a character line perhaps.. just to keep people "talking about star wars"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, I am mixed about this.

I LOOOOOVE Genndy Tartikofsky's work (Dexter and Samurai Jack especially), but it's episode 2 Star Wars (I haven't seen it yet!) I mean, I'd love to see him do other Star Wars (the 1977-83 sagas) His take on Chewie, Han, Luke (who could even supply his own voice, as he voices another cartoon on CN, the robot on Time Squad), and the rest.

I always knew he wanted to do a Star Wars series (in one interview, he said it was his dream project). ANd you can even tell with certain bits of Powerpuff Girls and Dexter (i.e. Mandark's lab has the Death Star attatched to it)

But I don't have cable... sigh!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by Bulldawg
i was curious as to how they were gonna keep people "talking about star wars" until the final movie came out in 2005.
You don't exactly need a cartoon series to keep people "talking about Star Wars". People obviously talked enough from 1983 to 2001 about Star Wars to get the latest release produced.

The Star Wars community is so thick that you really won't ever need to create a series, special, etc. to keep people interested. Lucas could pull in profit from SW fanatic spending alone.

-Matt

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock

The Star Wars community is so thick that you really won't ever need to create a series, special, etc. to keep people interested. Lucas could pull in profit from SW fanatic spending alone.
It's sad but true. Lucas can slap that Star Wars label on anything and people will come running in all directions for it. *sigh* Im just hoping Episode Three redeems itself...its already been two strikes.

Gonzo

Reaction score
yeeeeeeah.....

It's kinda sad that I'm supposedly a huge Star Wars fan...and now I have to qualify that statement. Fan of the Original Trilogy...but there's much missing from the current installments. But I have so many comments about that that we could start a whole 'nother website.

I am intrigued by these shorts though; although it could be the phrase "animated shorts" that piqued my curiousity.

:attitude:

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn