1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Star Wars Prototypes

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by Psammeadboi, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Psammeadboi

Psammeadboi Active Member

2. the80sdrummer

the80sdrummer Member

Honestly, I'm not as excited about these now after seeing them. They look, to me, shabby. Kermit is the worst. Rizzo and Fozzie aren't too far behind that. I will admit Dirth Nader looks cool. Just a little disappointed in these anticipated figures...
  3. karamazov80

karamazov80 New Member

Personally, I'm just not a fan of "non-articulated" mini-plastic statues, so my opinion might not be 100% objective. Having said that, I think that these look like something that would have been produced in the 1970s. They do look cheap and outdated. But then, maybe they're going for that whole vintage, 70s vibe, since that's when Star Wars first came out. I also could do without Rizzo.
  4. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

I'm goin to MGM and the rest of the Disney parks next week so I wanted to know, are these available yet? (Or will they ever be?)

EDIT: Grr... now seeing the site shown in full, I just realized that they are planned for July. Darnit.
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

There is another thread on this, but I'll comment here as well. It's an interesting product.

When the Palisades figures were first announced many fans wanted and expected just straight, non-articulated PVC sculptures (like the old 70s Schleich Muppet Show assortments or cheaper versions of the mini Muppet assortment Palisades released). I am glad Palisades went the way they did, but can't help but think that some sculpts would have looked better with a little less joint-cutting etc. There could have been more fluidity in the design if sculpted as a static piece (weight shifting, expression, attitude).

That being said, these Star Wars pieces are priced at $12.99 per set (if I'm not mistaken) and are tiny little plastic PVC toys. The sculpts aren't all that hot, but they are mass produced for the Disney theme parks. I do see some texture and interesting ideas, but these still could use some more work. I see these as stylized, somewhat cartoony, representations of the characters. Dirth Nader is the best here. The bar wasn't set too high given the resources they had available. I wish the sculpts were a little more interesting, but they aren't terrible. I'll probably get them and be pleased enough about it. :)
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have to say, this is pretty much how quite a bit of Muppet Merchandise looked like before Palisades bursted into the scene with high quality, low priced collectibles (they could have easily fetched a lot more in mainstream retail). While they aren't the greatest Muppet PVC's, they are pretty good. I mean, the Kermit's a might off, but this is one of the few times we get a closed mouth figure (he's usually sculpted with an open one). But I think the Fozzie, Beaker, and Dirth Nader are spot on. I'm hoping this prompts a second set. Or even better, a Muppet Babies set featuring Scooter-D2 and Skeeter3-PO and Gon Zolo.
  7. Kermieuk

Kermieuk Well-Known Member

I actually quite like them, OK the sculpts aren't great but for a $12 set its a great novelty idea. Love Miss Piggy holding a hairdryer instead of a gun!

Chris
  8. Keeermit

Keeermit Active Member

i think for what they are that they are cool - i think they will look great on top of my computer or on my desk :) they certainly arent the best I have seen as far a muppet products - but i'll buy them , they look fun.
  9. Psammeadboi

Psammeadboi Active Member

I think the release of these figures is in July or June, and suppose to correspond to Star Wars Weekends at Disney.
  10. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

Yeah. I definately will not be buying those...they look really....idk fake? i dont think theyre worth it at all but thats my opinion
  11. RealMissPiggy

RealMissPiggy New Member

*drools* Im PUMPED when are they avaible?
  12. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

Rizzo doesn't even look like Rizzo.... or even a Muppet rat at all. He looks more like some random cartoon character.

With Yoda ears.
  13. Drtooth

Seriously, what did you people do before Palisades, when ALL Muppet Merchhandise looked like this?

I'll take a 13 dollar gift set of these things anyday over those overpriced "Dunnys" and Giant poops.
  14. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I remember reading about these awhile ago. I'm going back down for New Years so I can't wait to pick these up. The Disney characters/Star Wars figures were there when I went down last year, and these figures were at least in the works. What bothers me the most about the cast members at the parks is that no one ever seems to know anything.
  15. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

*falls out of chair!* VIC! Vic you've posted on MC! Does that-- does that mean you're back to stay? At least for awhile? You have NO idea how much we've missed you pal!
  16. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Hopefully so, Ry. I really missed you guys, and it's so great to see so many familiar faces along with all the new ones... well, new to me at least.
  17. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

You like my new face? I tell ya, the miracles of plastic surgery are really under-celebrated. ;)
  18. Drtooth

I'm just going to post some of the pre-palisades PVC's to compair and contrast with this set...

Applause

Schleich

Muppet High

Disney World PVC's

And I gotta tell yah, I think that the SW ones are actually pretty good looking compared to some of these. Though I do have a problem with the fact they clearly based the designs on Cartoon Drawings, and not the actual puppets. That pretty much distorted what they could have been.
  19. itachi

itachi New Member

Can u buy them in stores?
  20. Drtooth

Only if you mean a store at Disnney World, yeah. Otherwise you may have to wait for them to be online, or call Disneyworld. Someone told me that you can actually phone order theme park merchandise like that.

Of course, if you wait long enough, some comic book store may get a box or two in. Of course, they'll charge you double price. I once saw one of the Mickey Mouse Luke Skywalkers in a comic book store.