Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Well, I see there are some Trekkies on the board. I also know they myself and a lot of other Muppet fans are also Star Wars fanatics. It is time to have the epic battle:

Which is better, Star Wars, or Star Trek?

Now, I can see it from both sides. Star Trek is indeed a concept that has ran through the years with a fanbase that is as large now as it was when the series began. Also, it being a TV serial gives it an opportunity to be more in-depth that a two and a half hour Star Wars film. Its several movies have been very successful, and it has even gone as far as putting together its own language.

BUT

Star Wars has elements that to me, make the story way more interesting. The Force and the Jedi Order are followed by so many fans that it was added to the list of most predominant religions when a census was taken in the United Kingdom. The offset of time and a far off galaxy enable the film to be more versatile with a great deal off spin-off stories lines. That element is amplified in the numerous Star Wars books and comics put out over the years. There are conventions all the time, and devout followers who spend endless hours trying to find scraps of information regarding the next film. The merchandising for the films were multimillion dollar endeavors, and though they didn't necessarily sell as well as they could have, they were still widely purchased. I find the characters of Star Wars to be generally more interesting, and the planets and different species more entertaining.

In short, my vote is for Star Wars.

-Matt

CousinLuke

Reaction score
Star Wars, while Star Trek has a huge following, it can not even be seen by non-fans because the universe is too complex now. However, while Nemesis (good movie by the way) makes 60 mil worldwide at the box-office, Star Wars makes 330+ in the USA.

In addition for all you muppet fans:
STAR WARS also fetures Frank Oz as Yoda. Beat that Trekkies (or Trekkers whatever it is you like to be called).

GWGumby

Reaction score
I really hate comparing these two. I think that because they have "Star" in the title and have space ships that they are considered to be comparable to each other. However, their underlying makeup is completely different from each other to the point of trying to compare apples to oranges rather than comparing a Red Delicious to a Johnathon.

To me, Star Trek is a vision of the future. It's set in our future, and it's purpose was to show us how life could be like once we settle our problems at home at reach out beyond the stars. Its stories, while sometimes fantastic, were often allegories to problems of today. Issues of racism, tolerance, ethics, and things like that.

Star Wars, on the other hand is pure fantasy. It's meant to take place in a completely different time and a completely different place. It's not a message about who we are or what we can become. It's about creating a whole new world with its own rules and laws (e.g. The Force). It's merely telling adventure stories and soap operas set in a space-themed back drop.

As for the question as to which is better than the other, there could never be a real answer to that. The fact that Star Trek has had hundreds of TV episodes and incarnations vs. Star Wars with 3 original films and 3 prequels. So of those hundreds of episodes, there are many moments that rise above the worst Star Wars moments. And in Star Wars, there are many moments that rise above the worst Star Trek moment. So do we add up all the good moments and bad and then average them together to see which has been consistently better? Naw, it just doesn't work, mate.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Hmmm.

I appreciate BOTH. Star Wars is the first movie I remember seeing on the big screen, way back in 1977 when I was just a pup and many of you weren't born. Empire Strikes Back is still my favorite movie of all time, and I cried in Return of the Jedi when both Yoda and Darth Vader died. And the prequels, although they're flawed and have their shortcomings, have also captured my imagination.

I've also loved Star Trek at various times in my life--I'm a big fan of both Next Generation and Deep Space Nine...and the Classic stuff that started it all. I think there's a noble vision there, that gets diluted to an extent by special effects and acting...but an optimism that is lacking in much of television.

To me, it's apples and oranges. They're both sci-fi, but not really. Star Wars, after all is said and done, will have about 14 hours of film; Star Trek is currently at about 675 hours of tv episodes and films (I think). Star Wars has a couple of dozen novels that expand that universe, Star Trek is at a couple of hundred. Both have legions of fans. Both are commended and vilified. Star Wars is more accepted by the mainstream, Star Trek is more likely to be attacked by Melissa.

I like's 'em both. If I had to eliminate one from my life...I'd probably...choose....Star Trek.

Don't axe me to make Sophie's Choice again.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Gonzo

Reaction score
Gumby,

Just for the record, I started typing mine before you had replied, went and "worked at my job" :rolleyes: for about half an hour, came back and finished my reply....I wasn't trying to paraphrase you.

It just....HAPPENED.

Freak me out.

Live long and prosper. And may the force be with you.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
I really hate comparing these two. I think that because they have "Star" in the title and have space ships that they are considered to be comparable to each other. However, their underlying makeup is completely different from each other to the point of trying to compare apples to oranges rather than comparing a Red Delicious to a Johnathon.
I don't see it as such.

Any two things with any kind of similiarity can be compared. You can compare any two films, television shows, etc., because they are both films or television shows or whatever. The subject of the thread could have been Star Wars. vs. Happy Gilmore or Star Trek vs. Forrest Gump. Its about your opinions of either film in comparison to the other, regardless of their similiar makeup. If you choose to see it in that way, that is a different story.

So, its about what you think is the better of the two within the layed out options. If you'd like, you can vote on Star Wars vs. Happy Gilmore as well, but hopefully we can all see who'd win. :big_grin:

-Matt

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock

So, its about what you think is the better of the two within the layed out options. If you'd like, you can vote on Star Wars vs. Happy Gilmore as well, but hopefully we can all see who'd win. :big_grin:

...now if it were Star Wars vs. Billy Madison...

:rolleyes:

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Hah

Star Wars vs. Little Nicky....oh, I'd be so torn..

:big_grin:

-Matt

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by CousinLuke
In addition for all you muppet fans:
STAR WARS also fetures Frank Oz as Yoda. Beat that Trekkies (or Trekkers whatever it is you like to be called).
Star Trek has Kirk Thatcher.

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Star Wars!!!

It's just such an intricate and complete story. All the suplementary books are just interesting. It's almost like uncut scenes from the movies sometimes by getting to read about what's happening to other characters at certain times in the movies. And after every movie, you want to know what happens to the characters after word and with Star Wars you can. It's just so cool how it all works together.