Star Wars vs. Star Trek

anathema

Reaction score
"Star Wars is adolescent nonsense! Close Encounters is obscurantist drivel! Star Trek can turn your brains to puree of bat guano! The greatest science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one by one, or all in a bunch, to back it up!" - Harlan Ellison, 1975

Me, I like 'em all! :big_grin: But the Doctor reigns supreme! :big_grin:

CraigD

Reaction score
Definately Star Wars. The original trilogy will always be three of the most beloved films in history. Yes, even Return of the Jedi. And whereas the prequels have tarnished the series reputation a little (although I enjoy them), Star Wars will continue to live on and gain new fans forever.

Star Trek on the other hand I believe is dying a little. I've never been a fan of the series. A couple of the films are decent, although I haven't bothered with the last couple. The latest film received very poor reviews and didn't perform all that well moneywise either. Star Trek will always have a fanbase but I don't think it will continue to attract audiences like SW. Star Wars has the extra advantage of basically being kids films so it pulls fans in early, whereas the majority of kids are bored s**tless by Trek.

Now Lord of the Rings on the other hand. I think this will become the new Star Wars. And I never thought I'd say this, but if Return of the King is as good as I think it will be, I will have a new favourite film trilogy.

Craig

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by CraigD
Definately Star Wars. The original trilogy will always be three of the most beloved films in history. Yes, even Return of the Jedi.
I never really understood why people didn't like Return of the Jedi as much. I mean, that's the happy ending!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Personally, I never really liked Empire Strikes Back as much as everyone else seems to (no stones, please!!). I honestly really loved Return of the Jedi. I thought Endor was awesome, and the end fight between Darth and Luke/ Darth, Luke, and the Emperor was rock and roll! :big_grin:

I liked ESB as far as plot progression. I mean don't get me wrong, it was a GREAT great SW Film. I just perfer ANH and ROTJ. But, the one thing that ESB has more than any of the others; Boba Fett. He alone makes the film a 5-star masterpiece. (Yes, I know he was in ROTJ, but he dies there, and that's not cool.)

-Matt

GWGumby

Reaction score
I'd pick Adam Sandler over any Jar Jar and Anakin combined.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
"Star Wars is adolescent nonsense! Close Encounters is obscurantist drivel! Star Trek can turn your brains to puree of bat guano! The greatest science fiction series of all time is Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one by one, or all in a bunch, to back it up!" - Harlan Ellison, 1975
Now, how in the heck could he say that if Star Wars didn't come out until 1977?

radionate

Reaction score
Star Wars, hands down.

Not Epidisode I or II, they sucked, big time.

anathema

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Now, how in the heck could he say that if Star Wars didn't come out until 1977?
Apologies, my typo! Should have been 1978 :smile: Well spotted!

Unless of course you believe that he borrowed the Doctor's TARDIS and popped back a few years...

:big_grin:

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Personally, I never really liked Empire Strikes Back as much as everyone else seems to (no stones, please!!). I honestly really loved Return of the Jedi. I thought Endor was awesome, and the end fight between Darth and Luke/ Darth, Luke, and the Emperor was rock and roll! :big_grin:
That's just how i feel

CraigD

Reaction score
Empire is easily my favourite and I'd rate Jedi probably on a par with the prequels.

I love Empire for so many reasons. And here are a few of them....

Yoda. The dude rocks. And even though he kicked *** in AOTC, he's never been better than he was in ESB.

Han Solo. The guy stole the show in A New Hope, but here his character is developed so wonderfully and his relationship with Leia is fantastic. Lawrence Kasdan is a great writer, and Lucas could have used his help fleshing out Anakin and Padme's relationship in the last film.

Lando Calrissian. I'm a big Billy Dee fan, and I've always loved this character.

Vader vs Luke at Bespin. A fantastic and long confrontation. Probably the best scene in all the Star Wars films. I loved the lightsaber duels in the prequels but the biggest problem was they were too brief, or ended too abruptly.

Now I still love Return of the Jedi, but I still think that film has a lot of flaws. Here's a few of them...

Han Solo. He was so great in Empire, but he's forgotten here. Harrison Ford gives a lazy performance also. The character isn't developed any further at all, and occassionally he gets a little annoying.

I don't hate the ewoks as much as some people, but I'm no huge fan. And I freakin hate Chewbacca's Tarzan yelp as he swings across the trees. What the **** was Lucas thinking there?

Jabba's palace is also too childish, Boba Fett's death is stupid and some of the scenes on Endor drag.

However, Jedi has a great deal to enjoy, particularly all the scenes involving the Emperor.

Craig