Star Wars vs. Star Trek

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
I'd pick Adam Sandler over any Jar Jar and Anakin combined.
Good call.

BUUUUT

would you pick Rob Schnider of Anakin and Jar Jar? Oo...toughy.

-Matt

beaker

Reaction score
*Empire is my least favorite of the trilogy...I despise it even worse than Episode One. It was just so desolute and depressing...all snow and swamp. I am astonished how every fanboy in the known galaxy praises this one as the best one.

*Jedi is my ultra ultimate Star wars film, it is pretty much the most epic thing Ive ever seen on film. I remember seeing this when it came out in theatres and was blown away like nothing else.
Til then I had been bored to tears by Annie, On Golden Pond, and freaking ET...so when Jedi came out, it was like finally being able to thoroughly enjoy a theatrical film. I however hated the special edition, and thought Lucas completely ruined it. Sadly he says this will be the only version released on dvd. idiot.

*Episode one, two, three: I think its safe to say a vast majority of fans have pretty much lost faith in Lucas...Episode One got so much hype and attention as it was the most anticipated film in eons, beign 16 years since the last one. But between too much Jar Jar, less than epic battles, etc it ended up being lamblasted by everyone. A case of too little, too late: All style no substance...and unfortunately the whole cgi is being used to overshadow actual storytelling.

Episode Two, while doing pretty good at the box office, got creamed by Spiderman for a reason. Even tho there was hardly any Jar JAr and it had a lot of great epic battles...between the contrived romance scene(that got cut for the Imax release),
the non ending, and other stuff a lot of folks were pretty ho hum about it. Its because of this lack of interest it didnt get as big as they ahd hoped, and ended up on dvd a few months later.

*Star Trek sucks. Ive tried endlessly to like this over the years, but they dont want you to like it. I mean, after being blown away by Star Trek 4 I started to have hope...but did anyone see
Star Trek Nemesis? I cannot think of a bigger abomination that hit movie theatres last year sequel wise. Not only that, but even Columbia knows Farscape wipes Star Trek in any incarnation up and down the street.

*Star Wars or Star Trek? Star Wars for sure...Star Trek is not very epic and pretty wimpy...but then again so far the new Star Wars films have yet to come close to the greatness of Jedi IMHO.
with the death of puppetry and animatronics, what made Jedi so great...and just 95% cgi stuff...ugh. Funny how Jedi had actual space battles(I mean its freaking called Star Wars) and they were much more cooler...even though they were models!
So yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on the subject. I dont care much for the mighty iron fist of the modern Lucas gestapo...but after seeing his first film again(Electronic Labyrinth/studen film 1967, and his first feature based off that called THX 1138) he's still tops in my book.

...at any rate, most folks have moved onto greener pasture from modern Trek and Star Wars(Star Wars fatigued maybe?) and onto the Lord of the Rings and The Matrix trilogy.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by electricmayhem
I never really understood why people didn't like Return of the Jedi as much. I mean, that's the happy ending!
Because a lot of folks have to have everything be morose, dark, and depressing in films.

Originally posted by Cantus Rock
Personally, I never really liked Empire Strikes Back as much as everyone else seems to (no stones, please!!). I honestly really loved Return of the Jedi. I thought Endor was awesome, and the end fight between Darth and Luke/ Darth, Luke, and the Emperor was rock and roll! :big_grin:
Indeed...such is why I am speachless how so many people out there talk crap about it...its THE MOST EPIC and greatest Star Wars film...and one of the greatest films ever period. To me Empires is the depressing weak one.

CraigD

Reaction score
Gotta disagree with you Cory. I don't see how Jedi is anymore epic than Empire. Empire was a risky film for its time and still works wonderfully today.

I think Jedi is good closure to the original trilogy, but it could have been a lot more.

Jedi is a lazy film at times. Too kiddified and simplistic after the real scope of Empire.

Craig

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I like Star Wars more. I have to admit that the first few Star Trek films are really good and the original series dealt with some interesting subject matter, but they lost me somewhere mid-generation. All the new ST versions just became ridiculous in my eyes - spinnoffs of spinnoffs of spinnoffs. They somehow made it fresh for most people, but it just seemed like a rehash to me over the past several years. Not to say there wasn't some great work done. I just didn't enjoy it much as a whole. Especially the last two series.

Star Wars is easier to like because it has a limitless budget and opportunities to fix anything that wasn't perfect in the initial release (half way joking here). Nothing beats Empire IMHO. It tempered FX with story in an even way that none of the films after it have been able to capture. I did like Jedi too and I enjoy all the films. Just Empire much more than the others. Heck, it was the official entrance of Yoda.

My opinion is that Star Trek should give it a rest for a few years. No shows, no movies for 3-5 years. Make us miss them and then come back. They will always have a strong fan base - and as Lucas discovered...absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
Star Wars DEFINATELY. Star Trek I'm sure serves its purpose, but to be honest, I loathe it. I have a few reasons for t\such a strong dislike of this genre, but personal experience aside, Star Trek is boring. The same characters have the same plots and do the same job and deal with the same critters on the same frying pan-shaped ship show after movie after story.

I will say this though, it does have a couple of unnerving merits. 5 years ago, I would have thought the concept of such a future to be unheard of. But with the new technology we're seeing, and certain events shaping our lives, and other circumstances coming into play, I can see where something like that can be a very real possibility.

In addition, ironically enough, my favourite non-cartoon character of all time happens to be part of the Star Trek genre. Talk about beating the odds. I mainly like him so much because he's so much like me in many ways, and I think that's pretty freaky. I mean, you ever have one of those incidents where you watch a movie or a show and someone on the show makes you freak out because it's like someone followed you around and wrote about you and then made a character based on you? It's like that. Funky, huh?

Anyway, all that aside, Star Wars I think is MUCH better, because instead of going on a military aspect and showing how the future will be, it illustrates just how far the imagination can go and challenges it to go even farther than that..:smile:

Baby Rowlf

GWGumby

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, many scientists of today were and are Star Trek watchers. So Star Trek's vision of the future (transporters, phasers, hand-held communicators & scanners) is often what is driving the research of today. So it didn't predict the future as much as give the future a nice guide to work from.

There was a news item just recently about scientists successfully "beaming" some type of particles serveral kilometers away.

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
That is pretty fascinating. In fact, cell phones were directly influenced from Star Trek, and so were automatic sliding doors and touch screens.

At the same time though, as much of a commonplace tool as touchscreens are, alas, I cannot seem to find one on which I can successfully play reggae tunes on the fly..:stick_out_tongue:

Baby Rowlf

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
to me, comparing star trek and star wars is like trying to compare apples and oranges....sure they both are set in space, and they aliens and even humans, and they face danger, but like someone said earlier, star wars is more fantasy based, and star trek is more of what people hope for the future, etc.

star wars- i like star wars. i think the epic is great and the story lines are great, although with the over use of the special effects in the past 2 movies, the plot is not as developed as epsiodes 4, 5, and 6. i like the characters of hans solo and chewy; they're great to watch. watching luke trying to save his father and trying to make him over come the emperors forces in return of the jedi shows how much he loves his dad. i like to the c-3po act annoying around people because i think that's funny. star wars is more likeable and much more easier to watch than star trek because of somethings like the fact that star trek uses to much technobable. also, star wars is much more action oriented to where you won't get bored while watching one of the movies..unlike star trek nemesis where i was beginning to fall asleep. plus i think star wars has much more interesting characters like darth vader, hans solo, etc. than star trek and it people get into these characters everytime they watch a star wars movie.

star trek- this is more of a vision of what people hope the future will be: no nore diseases on earth, poverty and war eliminated, pollution is gone, and everyone looks beyond skin color etc. to accept the person for what he or she is. same thing goes for when humans travel to distant worlds, they try to accept aliens for who they are and their culture, etc. like deep space nine, that show had starfleet officers, along with ferengi, bajorians, a changeling, a cardassian, and other aliens and it was sisko's job to make sure that everyone try to get along with each other, to accept every persons ideas beliefs, etc. that was star trek. not trying to have an epic like star wars, but to try to teach the audience that everyone can be accepted and that everone can try to get along with one another.

but by far, although startrek has been out for 30 years, starwars has more fans...but for me, i like star trek..it has more of a reality based feel to me than starwars because star wars doesn't deal with issues like what startrek deals with...

ryan