Statler and Waldorf Puppets

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Chill out? There's a WORLD of difference between saying "look at this replica" and BUY my replicas. There are regular posters here who build replicas for their own enjoyment. They post pictures. They don't profit off it.

:boo:

-- Scraps

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
rtgentry said:
Buck, chill out. Its not different then all these post about muppet replicas out on ebay. By posting them it offers anyone here to bid and buy.
...which is exactly what's not supposed to be happening here.

I know there is a great diversity of views on the subject of Muppet replicas and a lot of disagreement within the community about selling them, but irregardless of what I, you or anyone else thinks MC's stated policy is that the site respects the intellectual property rights of Sesame Workshop and the Muppets Holding Company and if you want to sell replicas you have to do it elsewhere.

These types of sales are also against ebay's TOS and I believe many of the replica Muppet auctions have been taken down over the years.

On a purely practical level, I think it's incredibly stupid for people to publicly post stuff like this for the simple reason that people from Disney and Sesame Workshop both frequent these forums anonymously. I personally know someone who was threatened in a cease and decist letter over a "look a like" puppet (it wasn't even a replica) and know for a fact that there are industry people are keeping tabs on this stuff, even if they're not taking legal action at the moment.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
I've posted the last few links to the e-Bay auctions for the Muppet replicas. In case there is any doubt or confusion, I just want to make it clear that I don't know the guy, never met the guy, never e-mailed the guy or had any contact with him in any way. I just thought the listings were amusing... especially because they're illegal.

If Kevin or Phillip ask me to stop posting those links, I will instantly.

:stick_out_tongue:

rtgentry

Reaction score
Same here. I think this post has gone far enough. Peace

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
My Two Cents

I spoke with someone in law school (looking to get into entertainment law) and asked what they think of this. What I got was it is OK to seel a "replica" from collector to collector with no rights to the character being tranfered, as long as the buyer is aware that it is not an original and that the buyer understands they do not own a copyright to the item. "Collector to collector" seems to be the key here. So it is OK, legally, but maybe a bit unethical to be doing it here on Muppet Central (or anywhere else).
I could do a painting to look like a Picasso, and sell it as a copy, as long as I state it is not the original, and not made by Picasso. But why would you want it. I feel the same about making other peoples characters as puppets.
Stick to your own stuff puppet builders! It's a craft to be proud of and originality is always rewarded!
I'm not saying anything about who sold these in a good or bad way. I'm just sayin'!
Shouldn't this thread be in the Sale and Trade section anyway?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
ScrapsFlippy said:
I hope Disney is paying attention. Why the heck should they bother with the Creature Shop?
[joke.].
ok i know it was a joke, but lets not put that idea in thier heads, (besides ,it is already thier im sure)

but i think the workshop has suffered way many more sling and arrows than any puppeteer in the company, its bad enough we got treated like the red headed step children when they downsized.far to many talented folks thier have already lost thier jobs,

sorry to sound Irate(not sure how to spell that), but it is a wound that will never quite heal .

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
Ravagefrackle -

You are absolutely right. I apologize for that . . . I meant no disrespect at all. I forget sometimes that sarcasm doesn't work in print!

-- Scraps.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Jivepuppet said:
I could do a painting to look like a Picasso, and sell it as a copy, as long as I state it is not the original, and not made by Picasso.
Well, no that it's not quite right. I am not a lawyer, but the idea that you can't create derivative works is pretty well esthablished in copyright law (Picasso may be a bad example because his work may now be in the public domain, I am not sure). There is no fair use provision for "collectors" in copyright law.

Jivepuppet said:
Shouldn't this thread be in the Sale and Trade section anyway?
Yes, it should.