Statler & Waldorf on movies.com

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I love S & W,when they see a clip,their jaws drop open in shock.Too funny.

Kynan Barker

Reaction score
MWoO said:
So you better go out there and kick Matt Vogel's butt and make sure Frank Oz never stops by the Sesame set to do a Grover spot when he has time.
It's true that Sesame Workshop combines primary performers and understudy performers with some success. Matt Vogel, since you mentioned him, is a true understudy, performing Big Bird with Carroll's blessing and tutelage, and Carroll has first right of refusal. Matt simply never puts on the suit unless Carroll can't do it. Which doesn't seem to be the case with MHC, where it appears Dave and Steve have already lost work.

Sesame Workshop's philosophy on recasting is to keep the characters alive. Their understudy strategy has been to ensure a smooth transition, to ensure continuity, and enable the characters to stay real and vibrant. It's a consistent, well-thought out strategy. I personally may not agree with it, but I know they have good reasons for doing it the way they have.

MHC's motivation is obviously purely financial. They want multiple Muppets for the exposure, the publicity, and the vast potential to take cash from eager paying audiences. I'm sure it's a consistent, well-thought out strategy -- them Disney folks know how to make money -- but I don't for a minute think that they have the characters' best interests, nor the audience's, at heart.

To summarize: Sesame Workshop has an understudy plan aimed at keeping the characters consistent, which incorporates some elements our campaign might be against, but which has built-in damage control and is implemented with the full cooperation of all the performers.

Whereas MHC has an understudy plan aimed at increasing profits without regard for consistency, which incorporates everything our campaign stands against, and also risks the jobs of the Muppeteers.

And that's why Matt Vogel's butt is safe from my vengeance, while the guys at MHC have started wearing padded jeans.

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Kynan Barker said:
Sesame Workshop's philosophy on recasting is to keep the characters alive. Their understudy strategy has been to ensure a smooth transition, to ensure continuity, and enable the characters to stay real and vibrant. It's a consistent, well-thought out strategy. I personally may not agree with it, but I know they have good reasons for doing it the way they have.
Don't forget Kynan, at these recent auditions Sesame was there also looking for Ernie, Bert, Grover, etc.
It didn't seem as if Sesame Workshops philosophy was any different then MHC, at least not for the SS characters they are currently auditioning for.

While the reasoning you gave for Matt Vogel is true, somehow I don't think this will be the case (understudying the main performer) for these new Sesame Street character try-outs of late. Possibly when Whitmire and Jacobson are busy with MHC projects the new Occasional Muppeteer will fill in for them on SS.

And if that's the case, then Sesame Workshop is doing the same as MHC.

Just wanted to respond to that.
..now back to the the original topic of S&W. :smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
New topic:

Statler and Waldorf...what motivates them? Why do they feel the need to mock all and sudery?

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
New topic:

Statler and Waldorf...what motivates them? Why do they feel the need to mock all and sudery?
Ah interesting!
Hmm... we could go off and fantasize where all this mockery started. I would guess they were World War II veterans and had to poke fun at all the Allied versus Axis situations in the 1940's. Or with them, maybe they go back to World War One.

...Or maybe when they were teens they would hang out on the corner and poke fun at everyone, cause they could never get the girls. :smile:

Lots of possibilities.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
New topic:

Hmmmm... got me thinking wouldn't it be interesting to see Statler and Waldorf meet up with the title character from House....maybe they could inteview him as part of a dvd review.

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
I think, they should be riffing the previews as they watch them,sort of like Mystery Science Theater 3000 did and then could do the Old Guys Scale of Horror or whatever it was that week. Statler and Waldorf Metting up? I can't even imagine that. Maybe they met by getting the same box at a Vodaville show, and they went from there.

unclematt

Reaction score
The same thing that motivates me to be cynical and grumpy

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
New Episode

A new episode of "Statler and Waldorf: From the Balcony" was posted on Movies.com today. In the latest installment of the bi-weekly web-show, Statler and Waldorf talk about the films "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" and "Get Rich or Die Tryin'", plus Sam the Eagle stops by to talk about "Walk the Line". You can also learn the meaning of this weeks balconism, "BLOND-tourage". So check out the "From the Balcony" website on Movies.com and watch the latest episode . Be sure to check back for the next episode on November 26th.

Source: http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2005/11/from-balcony-episode-11.html