Steve Whitmire has left the Muppets, Matt Vogel to continue as Kermit

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Since you asked: It means that you can't expect Disney to ask Steve permission to use a character that they already own when he's bad mouthing them on his blog every day.
Yes, Steve has been 'badmouthing' Disney based on his own observations over the course of nearly 29 years (including Jim's attempt to sell his company to them), however we to have to give him some credit for not being completely hostile. Not once has Steve called for fans to boycott the Muppets, nor has he called out any specific person. In fact, he's encouraged his followers to continue to respect certain people despite what part they played in his dismissal.

If Steve really was as bitter and rude as some people are making him out to be, he would have already posted about Matt's performance and whinged about it. Honestly, I don't think he's being all that dramatic about things.

Censored

Reaction score
Yes, Steve has been 'badmouthing' Disney based on his own observations over the course of nearly 29 years (including Jim's attempt to sell his company to them), however we to have to give him some credit for not being completely hostile. Not once has Steve called for fans to boycott the Muppets, nor has he called out any specific person. In fact, he's encouraged his followers to continue to respect certain people despite what part they played in his dismissal.

If Steve really was as bitter and rude as some people are making him out to be, he would have already posted about Matt's performance and whinged about it. Honestly, I don't think he's being all that dramatic about things.
Fair enough, but at one point, it seemed like even you thought Steve went a little too far. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
Fair enough, but at one point, it seemed like even you thought Steve went a little too far. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.
I think that was when he said that he could catch up with the Hollywood Bowl in with less than a day's rehearsal. I do think he's a genuinely nice guy, but even nice guys can be a little cocky sometimes.

Censored

Reaction score
I agree but still say there should be some ounce of respect. Steve has been respectful on his blog.
Well, aside from a short explanation of their issues with Steve, neither Disney nor the Hensons have made perpetual posts about what they thought he did wrong, as he does to them on his blog. That in itself qualifies as more than an ounce of respect. And it should be remembered that neither Disney nor the Hensons would have said anything against Steve at all had he not chose to make his firing public. Maybe there could be more civility on both sides, but I don't think they're going to give Steve the rights to any Muppets, creator or not.

Last edited:

Censored

Reaction score
I think that was when he said that he could catch up with the Hollywood Bowl in with less than a day's rehearsal. I do think he's a genuinely nice guy, but even nice guys can be a little cocky sometimes.
And that is important to remember. It seems like people on both sides are getting obsessed with Steve. Some are trying to make him out to be a Saint, while others are typing mysterious posts on his blog implying that he's evil. Both are absurd. It was a dispute about creative rights and who was in charge. It's happened in the past on shows like Three's Company, Two and a Half Men, etc. and it will happen again in different situations.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
And that is important to remember. It seems like people on both sides are getting obsessed with Steve. Some are trying to make him out to be a Saint, while others are typing mysterious posts on his blog implying that he's evil. Both are absurd. It was a dispute about creative rights and who was in charge. It's happened in the past on shows like Three's Company, Two and a Half Men, etc. and it will happen again in different situations.
Well when it comes to creative diccicions I always side with the ones with the most experience with the characters. Steve has been with the Muppets for decades and has also worked very closely with Jim. Those two factors are not something to shake a money hungry stick at.

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
Disney and the Hensons have their perspective on the events, and Steve has his. The truth lies somewhere in the middle, I'm sure of it. But you have to give props to Steve for not bashing anyone about it (except maybe the trolls). That's all I have to say about it.

Censored

Reaction score
Well when it comes to creative diccicions I always side with the ones with the most experience with the characters. Steve has been with the Muppets for decades and has also worked very closely with Jim. Those two factors are not something to shake a money hungry stick at.
For that matter, no one was closer to Jim than his own children. I don't care how many times they sold a company, they grew up with him. As for a money hungry stick, the hard reality is that it takes money to make good entertainment.