1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Tartakovsky directing Dark Crystal sequel

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Laszlo, Feb 1, 2006.

1. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

Will this movie be wide release or limited release like Mirrormask?
  2. MrsWembly

MrsWembly New Member

I think people should see it first before making an opinion. I don't think it will live up to the first one but I think its important to do projects like this and keep the Henson legacy alive. That's just me.

The Power of the Dark Crystal Presentation Reel :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsQZJiCcJM8
  3. mb22

mb22 New Member

4. crazed gonzo fa

Thanks! I've been wanting to see these pictures like this!
  5. Animalia

Animalia New Member

I can't wait for this to come out! Personally I think most sequels are never made quite as good, but seeing as this one has a different director I'd like to see how its done differently.
  6. BradFraggle

BradFraggle Member

When exactly is this supposed to come out? I can't wait!
  7. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Genndy Tartakovsky (director) told MTV earlier last month that most of the pre-production work is done and they should be starting production very soon. He said he hoped to have it all done by the end 2007. Lisa Henson (producer) said that they are planning to debut at the Cannes Film Festival, which would put release sometime around May 2008. Odyssey Entertainment is distributing the film, and they haven't set (or at least publicly shared) an exact date for release. Filming should start soon and sometime in the next 20-months the film should be out.

Oh, I can't wait either. ;)
  8. Mr.Penguin

Mr.Penguin Member

I second that emotion! :) I've loved all of Genndy's work so far, and I want to see how he'll do with this project..........and besides, The Dark Crystal rocked
  9. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

EDIT: I'm getting rid of this info. It's nothing more than a rumor as far as I am aware.
  10. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Rumor Debunking

Hey, I just want to do some quick rumor debunking here. There have been several unfound rumors circulating the net over the past few days/weeks/months, so I thought I would just help set the record straight here.

The film's production is moving along as planned. The project is not "canceled", "on hiatus", "delayed" or " abandoned". Production is on track and the film is still planned for a "Spring 2008" release. The Jim Henson Company's Head of Publicity and Head of Features both reassured me yesterday that the film is still alive and moving along as intended. Apparently some hooligans are out there making reports that the film has been canceled, but there is no merit to the claims at all. The film is coming, so if you read some blog or message board out there saying the project is dead, don't listen to them - as of today things are moving along beautifully. The goal is to wrap-up post-production by the end of the year, so the physical production should really be gearing up soon.

Second, when it comes to the film's cast. Henson has not released any definitive casting information at this point in time. Although they have said they hope to involve many of the performers from the original, and it is likely that many of the company's now-regular puppeteers will also work on the film, nothing official has been made publicly known. Any cast lists you see at this point (on places such as imdb.com or Wikipedia) are just speculation or hopeful assuming. In fact, several of the people listed on imdb's cast list have publicly denied any involvement in the project. imdb.com had a cast list for the film posted months before the project was even officially green-lit, and long before a director was even attached or any casting was done. imdb relies on user contributions and does not always "fact check" all the information prior to adding it to their database. In many cases, this film especially, it's just not a reliable source for their casting information (likewise for the upcoming Fraggle Rock film). Wait until an official announcement or confirmation of casting surfaces (and unfortunately we might not get a full and complete listing until we get to see the names scroll across the screen at the conclusion of the movie).

The internet is a great tool for getting information and it's also a great place to spread rumors. Don't just trust everything you read about the film out there. Look at what/who the source is and what validity their claims have. It's easy for crazed "fans" to make stuff up and get it out there – and once that stuff is out there it can be hard (if not impossible) to correct. With a much anticipated film that's part of such a beloved and established franchise, it's easy for people to jump to conclusions, assert assumptions as fact and just try to play games with the fanbase.

Muppet Central, and the other established and reliable news sites, will keep you all updated with the actual/factual news that you crave. So things are "fine and dandy" with production and the film should be ready for its debut at Cannes in May 2008. So the key now is patience. I know it seems like forever when waiting for the film, and some days it feels like it will never be here. But it is on track and is coming our way – so feel free to set up camp in front of your local cineplex to be the first to get tickets when they go on sale in "Spring 2008". But until then, we wait.
  11. crazed gonzo fa

Thanks for clearing this up! Any chance you got any new pics? Thanks for doin' what you do best!
  12. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

see next page (sorry I accidentally posted three times :(
  13. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

See below (I accidently posted twice and don't know how to delete!):mad:
  14. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

Hey GelfingWaldo,

I followed the link to your page, but the photo is not loading properly! Is this a temporary thing? - I'd love to see a pic.

You all probably know about this already, but there are some cool concept drawings on muppetwiki: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Dark_Crystal

I for one am psyched about this project! I know it's easy to get pessimistic with all the competition against the muppets these days, but I think this is going to rock. :)

-David
  15. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Everything should be working with the pic (it might have been a temporary thing with the blog server, so try again). Also check out http://powerofthedarkcrystal.blogspot.com/ for more images and updates.
  16. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

Cool, thanks a mil!

-David
  17. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

One thought about the upcoming movie:

I think that the idea of good and evil being somewhat blurred is very intriguing. Kira and Jen were the undisputed heroes in the first movie, but in this movie, it's not as clear - they're not willing to sacrifice something (i.e. the shard) that is so important to them in order to save another race. So the girl has to steal the shard! Who's good and who's bad? I feel like the lines are much less clear with this storyline, and I for one am intrigued. With Brian Froud on board and a well-regarded director (not to mention some level of involvement from Frank Oz), this sounds like a good thing. It certainly has a LOT of potential.

Quick question: are there other muppeteers who are suspected to be involved in the project besides Frank, or is this still undisclosed?

Cheers,

David
  18. crazed gonzo fa

Thanks again GelflingWaldo! You know, I hadn't really thought of the story line like that dabauckham, that's an interesting question.
  19. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

Are we sure this film is still in the works? I find it a bit bizarre that we have not seen anything in months, or heard a peep in a long time, yet we are already getting stills/images/clips for movies coming out next year for films like The Dark Knight, and many others.

What is going on? Are they really making this film?
  20. crazed gonzo fa

If they don't make it, the fans might start a riot.